The Sporting News: Ryder named top Rookie

huzer

I just got last week's issue of The Sporting News and the rookie or the year honors went to Ryder.

It was quite an introduction

He came in quietly but made quite an impact before it was all over.

"Early in the season, guys were saying, 'Who are you?'" says Canadiens rookie Michael Ryder, a right winger. "(By the end), they check you more and know who you are."

Ryder, 24, led all rookies in scoring with 63 points and in assists with 38. He tied Islanders right winger Trent Hunter for the most goals scored by a rookie with 25. With his individual success, Ryder helped the Canadiens get into the playoffs. For his impressive first season in the NHL, Ryder was voted Sporting News Rookie of the Year by the players. Ryder received 122 votes; Bruins goaltender Andrew Raycroft was second with 82.

"It's kind of surprising," Ryder says. "It's nice for the players to recognize what you did during the year."

They also named Martin St Louis player of the year, Feaster executive of the year, and Tortorella coach of the year. All honors were voted on by their respective peers.

BTW, I know the link was listed on the Habsworld front page, but nobody ever talked about it (at least that I could find.) Congrats to Ryder!

[Edited on 2004/6/2 by huzer]

He had an impact. No doubt about it.

I think it's pretty even between Ryder and Raycroft. And what's makes it even harder to decide is the fact that Rycroft is a goalie.

But I'll cross my fingers for Ryder.

Yes, Ryder made quite an impact..... And an unexpected one too because nobody ever really raved about him like people talk about ovechkin and Crosby etc. He just walked in and scored 25 goals his first year, thats pretty damn good.

Well, thanks Ryder and congrats man!