Award winners

dinamo

Martin St. Louis has just captured the Lester B. Pearson Award, as voted on by his peers in the NHL Players' Association. He had beat out Roberto Luongo and my favorite, Joe Sakic. :wall:

[Edited on 2004/6/10 by dinamo]

Award show is starting now...

CBC started it off by showing the 3 calder nominees standing side by side ... Ryder was dressed sharp. Now the CBC guys are having an interview with Iginla and St Louis... Really funny to see both those guys in tux's right next to each other (St Louis with gash on head from game-7) right after that tough series.

My Picks for tonight...

Jack Adams: R.Wilson (Got it wrong)

Bynge: Richards (Got it right)

Selke: Draper (Got it right)

Calder: Raycroft (got it right)

Vezina: Luongo (Got it wrong)

Norris: Niedermayer (Got it right)

Hart: St Louis (Got it right)

I also got the Pearson right...

So thats 6/8 ... Not bad

[Edited on 2004-6-11 by puck7x]

Screw it man why did they give the calder trophy to a man who had played in the league a year before and not to someone who was drafted 150 th or something overall and in his first year scored 25 goals and was 2nd in his team in points with only 2 behind Ribeiro. And what the hell was that all about? Ron Maclean saying that he could act too but he's still no Mike Ribeiro.

Wow Tortorella gets the Jack Adams? He was my 3rd pick behind the other 2 guys... Tortorella had a good team to start the year with, unlike the other 2 candidates who had alot less to work with.

And guy_guy_guy ... Think of the calder from a different perspective. Raycroft was a dominant goalie this season and could of been nominated for the Vezina, he put up great numbers, without Raycroft the Bruins might not of made the playoffs, (Have you seen the Bruins D? its bad) ... Raycroft was also a late pick.

And the McLean joke, it was about Russell Crowe (who is a presenter tonight) ... Said something stupid like he isnt as good an actor as Ribeiro...

CBC does a horrible job of presenting this show.

Berard wins the masterton...

But why didnt he win it a couple of years ago when he actually made his return from the eye injury? why the 3 year delay? Souray got screwed.

Ahh well.

Edit: Brodeur wins the Vezina? What the hell? He beats out Luongo who was ALL BY HIMSELF in Florida and set a NHL record for saves and all sorts of other stuff? And Kiprussoff who set the new GAA record?? ... Brodeur was my 3rd choice for Vezina... then again, Luongo plays with mattresses tied to his legs, maybe that factored into the voting?

Geez...

[Edited on 2004-6-11 by puck7x]

I went 4/7, not too bad. I can't belive Luongo didn't win the Vezina. Souray should have got the Masterton, although Berard is also deserving. He just should have won it the first year he came back.

I knew Tortorella would beat out Sutter, even though I think Sutter was more deserving. I also think St. Louis should have lost to Iginla for the Hart. Without St. Louis, the Bolts are still good. Without Iginla, the Flames are nothing.

Rookie team was announced in case anyone missed it, finally a habs won something...

Rookie Team

----------------

Goalie: Raycrofy

D: Pitkanen, Liles

F: Ryder, Hunter, Malone

By the way... Is it just me, or did the western conference really get screwed at this years awards? (and most awards) ... Maltby won the Selke, Berard the masterton, 2 guys on the all-nhl team, and one one guy on the rookie team? Thats nothing...

I was shocked when they gave Brodeur the Vezina. Luongo and Kipper were both way more deserving.

Tortorella was also a curious choice. The jump from 3rd to 1st isn't anywhere near the jump that both Sutter and Wilson pulled off with their clubs.

The rest of the awards went the way i thought they would. Too bad Ryder couldn't win but Raycroft was a deserving candidate.

Brodeur was the definite "odd" choice of the night... I had him last among the 3 as well.

Too much emphasis on wins IMO... that has more to do with the team in front of him than anything else.

How can you question Tortorella as the choice when he went and validated it by winning the Cup... and coming back from down 3-2 no less.

He kept after Lecavalier, called out Khabibulin, gave St-Louis his opportunity... he's a deserving winner.

Sure the two others did great jobs as well, but Sutter to me deserves the best GM award more... and Wilson is only in his first year there, a lot of coaches do really well in their first year... let's see him after a few years there.

The rest of the winners pretty much went as planned, pretty obvious the whole way through.

MacLean as unfunny as ever, I'm beginning to hate as much as Cherry... a few stupid Ribeiro jokes, and the whining about the kicked-in goal for CGY... making the league look stupid.

Just awful.