Quebec City is getting its Nordiques back

Spider-Man NL

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/shownews.js...ontent=j071502A

give or take a few letters.

Quebec's WHA franchise to be called the Nordiks

The city's team in the fledgling World Hockey Association will be called the Nordiks, franchise president Jean-Paul Boily announced Thursday. The team, whose logo is a polar bear growling against a blue background, will be one of six in the new league, which begins play this fall. The others are in Halifax, Hamilton, Toronto, Dallas and Detroit.

The Nordiques played seven seasons in the old WHA before joining the NHL in 1979-80. The franchise moved to Colorado and became the Avalanche before the 1995-96 season.

Boily's strategy in adopting a similar-sounding name is quite understandable because the Nordiques were a very popular team whose departure from the small-market area continues to be a sore point among many locals.

"The choice was near-unanimous," Boily told a news conference. "People want their identity and that's what we want to give them back."

Boily said the NHL warned the Nordiks not to use the modified name because the more established league still owns the rights to the Nordiques name.

"There may be problems on that front but we're ready," he told a news conference. "To give the name back to Quebec City residents, any legal hassles will be worth it.

"The name isn't the same as the original, it's spelled differently and the logo is completely different, so we don't think there can be any confusion."

Boily has said the franchise has asked trademark officials to clarify the matter.

[Edited on 2004/7/16 by Spider-Man NL]

Originally posted by TheAussiePosse

My prediction of Perreault staying in Quebec and playing in the WHA is becoming more and more realistic.

I wonder if EA Sports will come out with "WHA 2005"? :D

LOL! The funny thing is that he'd still be behind Ribeiro at centre on that team... poor poor Yanic. lol

(Ribeiro is Quebec property in that league and its rumoured that he will play for the team if the NHL locksout)

"There may be problems on that front but we're ready," he told a news conference. "To give the name back to Quebec City residents, any legal hassles will be worth it.  

Wow, smart guy. Saying something like that is bound to draw in fans. "Worth the legal trouble" - that's lots of sucking up to the city, but I'll show up.

Just watch, Lemieux will want to come play on the Nordiks too - then Perreault will retire, cryin

Wow, Habs fans outside of Quebec are disloyal!

You mock Perreault but did you forget about what Perreault did for the team in his previous years?

He was the leading scorer the year the Habs went into Round 2 of the playoffs. He has been leading the team in face-offs and sadly enough, the 2nd best Powerplay player statistically behind Zednik last year.

When you turn on a former habs like that and start mocking them, it gives Habs fans a bad reputation.

It's almost as bad as the Brisebois booers.

[Edited on 2004/7/21 by Ribeiro]

Wow, Ribeiro, you live in Australia? (your flag says Australia... :?- )

And if you've read previous posts or mine, ranging from the original "Perreault-vs-Ribeiro-for-2nd-line-centre" to the modern "Resign-Perreault-or-not?" ones, I've always said that I appreciate what he's done for the team, but his time has ended.

Habs fans are famous for "turning on" Habs and former Habs players, we all know that. My jest was that he would think he had the team to himself, and then have to watch as Ribeiro (his "nemesis") took a place ahead of him on the depth chart, and then be even more upset when the great Lemieux joined the team too (in the event of a lockout), pushing him to 3rd line centre, which I doubt he'd be able to perform as, given the defensive and physical responsibilities.

I was neither a Brisebois-booer nor a Perreault-picker-onner :eyes:.

However, I think I will be a Ribeiro-ragger-onner in the future, especially if he keeps up his primadonna attitude, or dives, or somehow costs the team even a little bit. Same goes for Hainsey or Hossa.

Originally posted by TheAussiePosse

Wow, Ribeiro, you live in Australia?  (your flag says Australia... :?- )

No, he doesnt (at least I dont think he lives there). Its just a bug in the flag-hack... For some reason users who dont specify a country end up with the flag of the poster above them.

Habs fans are famous for "turning on" Habs and former Habs players, we all know that.  My jest was that he would think he had the team to himself, and then have to watch as Ribeiro (his "nemesis") took a place ahead of him on the depth chart, and then be even more upset when the great Lemieux joined the team too (in the event of a lockout), pushing him to 3rd line centre, which I doubt he'd be able to perform as, given the defensive and physical responsibilities.  

He'll probably end up as a Left-wing again.

Wow, Ribeiro, you live in Australia?  (your flag says Australia...  )

My location says Quebec...

• 1 month later...