Kovalev Hasn't Ruled Us Out

jl.roberts

Originally posted by TruthMonger

You may very well be right (and I did mention that I would prefer Kovy), but that wasn't the point put forward with which I was disagreeing.  It was suggested that the main reason to not sign him was that he used us to get a better deal elsewhere.  That somehow he had cheated on us or violated our trust.  THAT is what I thought was silly...

I dont think its silly, why should I want the habs to sign a money-hungry me-first player like Selanne? I'd rather have players who want to win, and want to play for the habs. Yes, the past is in the past, it was a few years ago when Selanne toyed with the habs, but I have a long memory, and I'm not a forgiving person :devil: , but maybe Gainey is.... And I'm not Gainey.

I'll take anyone who will put up 50 goals, and 60 assists for the habs next year...

....Too bad it will never happen.

Either way, if we can have 2 guyz who add up to that total, then, its the same, as long as everyone one the team... plays as that.... "A Team"...

Anyone who will fill that, is well deserving a roster spot in the habs lineup.

Here's my view. We have at realistic most, four potential 20 goal scorers on this team so far next season. Zednik, Ryder, Ribeiro & Bonk. Adding a guy like Kovalev, Selanne or Murray increase that odds by one. In this league, a 20 goal scorer now, is a precious commodity, especially to a team that borders on not making the playoffs. To expect one of the kids to come in do that again this as Ryder did last is totally off he wall IMO. With that said, there are no guarantees that any of the forementioned veterans will produce is such a fashion either. I for one had Czerkawski penciled in for 20 to 25 goals the other season & we all no what happened there. But again, it is a more realistic expectation that a veteran will produce, as opposed to a kid trying to get comfortable with the pace of the NHL game.

Not sure how Koivu doesn't make the list of POTENTIAL 20 goal scorers. He's done it twice (including the 2002-03 season) and had 17 in two seasons where he missed 25 or more games. His injury history means 20 is never certain, but we're talking about potential...

[Edited on 2004/7/23 by TruthMonger]

Koivu is, and alwayz will be, one of the NHL's best playmakers.... we need to get him someone who can put it in the net... Kovalev or Murray would be a perfect fit.

When you've got a team with great playmakers, but no "great" scorers, you won't go as far. IMO.

(Yet, we do have some younger tallent still developing, so maybe one or 2 of them will fill this void, but I think we need at least one veteran to help that out.

Koivu is a very iffy, 20 goal scorer. If they can land a Kovalev or Selanne for on his wing, it would greatly improve the chance that he would.

As for Ryder, lets hope that damn sophomore jinx doesn't catch up to him!!