Which UFA would you like to see most in a Habs Jersey? (If Kovy and Selanne go elsewhere)

Guy10

Maybe you think because this is quebec, we should have a french captain or something like the good old days.... well i'd hate to burst your bubble... but the majority of great french players are now goaltenders. Thank you Mr. Roy

No, there are plenty of good Quebecois players. I'm not even going to get into this with you if you don't realize this.

I think everyone here, can find even more reasons why Koivu is a better captain than mr Damphousse.

All of the reasons you've listed can fit Damphousse too. Anyone who doesn't believe this either a) hasn't seen Damphousse play or B) has forgotten about his days with Montreal.

Game breaker? Damphousse won the Cup with the Habs. Before even suggesting that Koivu is a game-breaker and Damphousse isn't, you probably B) forgot about his days with Montreal, where he scored 23 points in 20 playoff games. He had 7 goals and 7 assists in the playoffs last year, and that was his 19th year in the NHL!

He's been consistent his whole career. That's a reason why Damphousse gets Captaincy (or at least an A) on any team he goes to, and why he's been a Captain of the Habs from 96 to 99.

The guy's a prototypical Captain. Damphousse would be a great Captain for any team, and you have not given 1 tangible reason why Koivu would be better than Damphousse in the NHL.

Contribution wise, Damphousse has done a lot more for the Habs than Koivu. And if you can't admit that, you again, never saw Damphousse play or you were too young and you forgot.

Even worse, you turn your back on former Habs.

[Edited on 2004/7/28 by Ribeiro]

1 tangible reason why Koivu would be better than Damphousse in the NHL.  

Uh, because he is? Ask most habs fans, they'd prefer Koivu to Damphousse any day. Koivu is faster, can shoot as hard, if not harder, and gives more each shift than Damphousse. He's been a decent captain, and with some solid years on the horizon, he'll do even better.

Damphousse would be a nice addition for nostalgia, but he doesn't fit in with our centres, and unless he's willing to pull a Perreault and play LW on either the 1st or 2nd lines, he's not worth the 2-3 million we'd have to pay him.

Let him walk. Otherwise, we'd have a group of fans demanding back Turgeon and Schneider and Leclair and Savage and Rucinsky...

Although Schneider is a nice thought... :eyes:

[Edited on 2004/7/28 by TheAussiePosse]

Stupid discussion. IF Damphousse ever is coming back there would be no reason whatsoever to give him a C on his Jersey unless Koivu would want so.

Koivu is the captain of this team because we and Habs management WANTS him to be our captain. I'm pretty sure that Sharks would like to trade Damphousse for Koivu, but we don't.

Damphousse would get an A.

Damphouse is on the brink of retirement.

Damphouse had 41 Points last season and 14 points on the playoffs. There have been no news on his retirement. I have no clue where you got your news from.

Ask most habs fans, they'd prefer Koivu to Damphousse any day

"Most" doesn't mean they know what they are talking about.

Your average Habs fan boos Brisebois, has no clue who the Captains were after 94, don't remember Valiri Bure, Turgeon (as a habs) or even Jocelyn Thibault.

Otherwise, we'd have a group of fans demanding back Turgeon and Schneider and Leclair and Savage and Rucinsky...  

We're talking about the role of Captaincy and Damphousse was mentioned in this thread (or another). None of the people you listed filled the Captaincy role better than Damphousse.

Turning my back on former habs?... half my favorite players are ex habs players.

But you would be willing to turn your back on a Current habs?... on Koivu?... in taking away is C to give it to something of the past?...

I could understand if it was more like the Tampa Bay situation, where they took it from the still immature Lecavalier, to give it to Andreychuk. Lecavalier wasn't a good captain... but, I believe he will get the C once Andreychuk retires, because Lecavalier has has learned quite a lot, and has a SC under his belt now. This is a situation where taking the C away was well done.

But with the Canadiens, Koivu is not going to have his C taken away to be given to anyone. Sure I like Damphousse as a player, and I would like to have him back, but, I very much doubt that will ever happen, as someone mentioned, he would not fit into the current line up.

Can we just end this now... its getting ridiculous, lol. What was this topic about again?

Anyone remember Andy Moog?... lol, upsetting pittsburgh, then going down to NJ... ouch.

Damphousse could fit nicely with Ribs and Ryder. If he came back, I'd throw him an A. Not sure if we'd have the cash for him after signing Kovalev or someone else. But year, for 1.5-2M, he'd be worth it. I'd say we'd then have to be considered as a decent shot at the cup. Only problem is we take away too many spots from the young-uns.