A favour from Swedes?

puck7x

On a visit in Canada

Christopher Heino-Lindberg did some practice with Montreal.

Montreal Canadiens held its third annual camp for young prospects for players between the 8th and 19th of July.

Among the 25 young players, Hammarbys goaltender Christopher Heino-Lindberg was participating.

The camp was held by Montreal head scout Trevor Timmins, and contaned not just ice-practice but bare-mark practice as well.

After three hours on ice under the supervision of Rollie (The Goalie) Melansons eye, and bare-ground practice at the Bell Centre, Heino-Lindberg partipicated in different seminaries about different aspect of life.

- We are here to give them information and feedback and to help them to develop as hockeyplayers and individuals outside of hockey, says camp-manager Trevor Timmins.

The rest is comming later... Have to get out and work.

Some of the topics they brought up was alcohol and drugs, "eat-healthy" economy and mediaprctice.

The camp was not just about work. A night with Go-cart was apriciated just like the "Scavenger Hunt", wich made the kids able to dicover the city of Montreal.

Heino-Lindberg thinks that he learned a lot from the visit, things that we help him to become a better player.

- It's a new way of playing hockey. Canadians plays in a different way and a learn a lot. I'm working on my play around the net and trying not to go so far from the net like I do on the larger rinks. There's a lot of knowledge to get from Montreals goaltendercoach. Rollie is verry good. The young goaltender also told us about his plans for the comming season.

- This season I'm going to try to play well for my team Hammarby, and maybe we can make it all the way up to the Swedish Elitserien.

Christopher also have hopes to play international hockey in the season 2004-05.

- I want to be the starting goalie in the Swedish Youth-20-national team, and to play most of the games for Swedena and to do it well. I want to contribute to show that Sweden still is a good hockey-country.

Christophers father, the actor Kalle Heino, did also join the trip and did show a huge intrest for Canadas culture.

- What's lacross?, he asked a local reporter.

Kalle Heino has always been a fan of the Canadiens, but didn't expect that Christopher should be drafted by Montreal, a team that has never drafted a goalie before the sixth round before.

- It was a surprise since other clubs talked to him before the draft, but Canadiens didn't. I'm verry pleased that my favourite team in the NHL drafted Christopher.

And in Sweden he plays for my favourite team as well; Hammarby.

Heino is as pleased with his son like his sons goaliecoach, the three-times Stanley Cup-champ with the New York Islanders, Roland Melanson, who also played for Minnesota North Stars, Los Angeles Kings, New Jersey Devils and Montreal Canadiens under his 11 years long NHL-career.

- He (Christopher) are verry impressed with the instructions he get. Melansson is verry good. He will bring many good advices to Sweden that he will keep in mind in order to improve his play.

The Montreal-trip is not the only North-America journey that young Christopher will do this summer.

- He will play for the nationalteam in August in North Dakota in this Summer Challenge. Sweden will play Finland and two american teams.

Hope I made it understandable.

Didn't Garon get drafted before the 6th round...I think he was a 2nd or 4th round selection for us. Not that I was looking for mistakes in the article...I just can't imagine that the Habs have NEVER taken a goalie before the 6th round.

in 1994 Theo was drafted in the 2nd round. Garon was drafted in the 2nd round in 1996, In 1984, Roy was drafted in 3rd round.

I got this info all of the habs site in the draft history section. The only problem is they don't mention players' position.

i think that makes less sense than your earlier translation. Perhaps they mean that montreal has never drafted a foreign-born goalie before the sixth round?

[Edited on 7/30/2004 by simonus]

But that's what the article says.

I have no idea what they meant, but thats whats said.

Sorry about the sloppy spelling (just read it for myself) but I hope that most of you can read it anyway.

Originally posted by ch_nl

But that's what the article says.

I have no idea what they meant, but thats whats said.

Sorry about the sloppy spelling (just read it for myself) but I hope that most of you can read it anyway.

I assume they mean we haven't drafted a goalie before the 6th round in the last few years. The last goalie we drafted before the 6th round was Evan Lindsay in the 4th round of '00.

The last Euro goalie we drafted before the 6th round was Lars Eriksson in '81, 2nd round 32nd overall.