Canada, Revenue Sharing, and the NHL

Mils

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=244291&amp...=headlines_main

More Canadian teams and improved revenue sharing would be excellent. I think the United States is maxed out on hockey teams for now and the gap is still too big between the big-money franchises and the smaller market teams (This is NOT an anti-american or south-bashing sentiment). The league needs a bigger Canadian presence to continue to grow intelligently and bring back some of the passion that the league lacks. The days of really passionate, intense games between Montreal and Quebec, for instance, have been lost to an international economic dynamic that no longer exists. If the NHL moves teams or, god forbid, expands, the new teams should be in Canadian cities.

Now can we just keep the rules to the game the same for consecutive seasons?

From the league and the owners' point of view, it doen't really make that much sense. If increased revenue sharing is necessary for those Canadian cities to barely survive, then as an owner (especially from a big market) my answer would be pretty easy to make... heck no!

If Quebec City can come in with strong investors, a thorough feasibility report, and some good market research, then perhaps... but then again, people in that city can't even work together to get a CFL franchise; there's a handfull of people trying to get the rest of the city behind that project, and they're all saying no one interested; Quebec City is happy with cheap, high quality junior/college sports.

Again from the NHL's perspective, Quebec City has failed with every profesionnal sports franchise it got, and doesn't even really have one right now (no, I didn't forget about that mediocre LBEQ baseball league)... so I'm thinking the city has a lot to prove before the NHL should even think about going back there, probably starting with at least a successful CFL franchise.

The NHL needs to tell the Leafs and Sabres to shove it, and put a team in Hamilton. Go where the population/fan base maximizes your chances for success.

hell, I'm all for a team in Mississauga.

As far as Hamilton goes, did the Canadiens get a concession or a veto right when they brought in the Nordiques?