World Cup - Canada lines

sakiqc

Was trying to think about potential good lines for Team Canada... What about those ones ?

Smyth - Sakic - Iginla

Heatley - Lemieux - Doan

Richards - Lecavalier - St. Louis

Morrow - Marleau - Maltby

Gagné - Thornton - Draper

What I like with the players we have this year: all of them are hard workers, not affraid to play the physical side of the game (maybe except Thornton and Mario).

Sakic is pretty much underrated. He's the best player in the world. He plays really well all sides of the game technically , plus he's got high skills. With Iginla (was a good duo at Salt Lake) and Smyth they'll be the best line of the tourny.

Smyth - Sakic - Iginla

Heatley - Lemieux - St. Louis

Richards - Lecavalier - Doan

Draper - Marleau - Maltby

Gagné - Thornton - Morrow

Not too much change.... I would Say that St. Louis would be better with Mario and Heat... And have him on a line with Vinny on the power play... (Or Vice Versa)

I think Draper has a better chance to make the line up than Morrow... just my thoughts...

I dunno, I see Marleau as the more physical center of the group, and he can put up some goals and set them up for Draper. Guess we'll have to just wait a little bit more b4 we know for sure.. :D... couple weeks.

Originally posted by Tony

Any line up would be crazy with that group of talented players. The only thing I can think of right now would be that Doan would play either on the 3rd or 4th line.

IMO Doan would do well on a top-2 line. Gretzky surely promoted him already to Mario hehe. Doan, a bit like Smyth, is a guy who give all he has. Would bring an intensity to Mario's line. Doan with the grit, size and intensity, Mario with the intelligence, sight.. And maybe Heatley as the finisher. And Doan has great scoring skills as well. We don't see Coyotes often, but Doan was their leader this year. He's a player still on the rise side of his career. Lot to offer.

The only reason Rick Nash wouldn't be on the team Canada roster is because he's not a team player. He's a pure goal scorer and doesn't like to give up the puck.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great player but look at the stats, he only had 16 assists last season why Kovalchuk and Iginla had over 40 and 30 respectively.

The only reason Rick Nash wouldn't be on the team Canada roster is because he's not a team player. He's a pure goal scorer and doesn't like to give up the puck.  

Don't get me wrong, he's a great player but look at the stats, he only had 16 assists last season why Kovalchuk and Iginla had over 40 and 30 respectively.

But doesn't have a goalscorer to be a bit selfish? Nash is a natural goal scorer and too different to compare him with someone like Kowaltschuk or Iginla. Iginla is perhaps the best all around player in the league right now, he has a bit more to offer than a guy like Nash. I don't think Nash isn't a team player ... he is on the ice to score goals, that's simply his job.

Don't forget, Nash might be a natural goal scorer but obviously defense isn't his game. He has a -35 rating this season. That could be another reason why he didn't crack the line up. Kovalchuk has something near -10 while Iginla has +21.

With the team already full of goal scorers, I'd rather have some role players to be able to go out and handle some of the other top lines out there... the Canadian way :D

Don't forget, Nash might be a natural goal scorer but obviously defense isn't his game. He has a -35 rating this season. That could be another reason why he didn't crack the line up. Kovalchuk has something near -10 while Iginla has +21.  

Yes Nash had a terrible +/- rating but like all of the Columbus players. If he would play for a better team and if it would be only the Flames (cause you mentioned Iginla), he would surely have a better rating. Nash is still developing and if he add some more pounds to his body, he can be a dominant power forward for years to come.

St-Louis - Lemieux - Heatley

Gagné - Sakic - Iginla

Morrow - Draper - Maltby (defensive line)

Thornton - Marleau - Smyth (physical line)

Richards - Lecavalier - Doan

Quite frankly although they did well last time around as a trio... I don't see how Gagné can keep his spot given the quality of players that would be left out.

I'd take anyone of the players on the last two lines I've made over Gagné.

Besides that, you can't surround Lemieux any better than with the league MVP and the MVP of the last Worlds.

His 2 formers teammates aren't back, St-Louis replaces Kariya, Heatley replaces Yzerman.

They took Matlby, Draper & Morrow because they played so well together in earlier international tourneys as our defensive line... they will automatically play on the same line IMO.

The Marleau line would be our physical line.

Lecavalier as a late addition has to know he won't play unless there are injuries, Doan is coming back from major surgery and frankly shouldn't even be there because of it... but he's a Gretzky protege from PHX.

I'd drop Gagné and add Richards to the 2nd line, we should find room for the playoff MPV.

To me Richards deserves to get a very good amount of ice time, he has proven to be a clutch player and, If he only gets on one of the last 2 lines, I could see him being played a lot on the power play.

Originally posted by sakiqc

Quinn's lines, day 1 of training camp:

Richards Lemieux StLouis  

Marleau Thornton Heatley  

Gagné Sakic Iginla

Smyth Lecavalier Morrow

Doan Draper Maltby

Smyth Lecavalier Morrow is the line that won't even be dressed... and I'm pretty happy with that.

Solid lineup... that Thornton line is gonna be sick IMO.

I have to stick with the Sakic line being be best, but, that Lemieux line is certainly gonna be a deadly one as well.

Too bad for Smyth, as he is one of my favorite players but, I wouldn't be surprised to see him jump into the line up given the chance. I think he experience with the international play will help out huge in the locker room.

Quite frankly, Kirk Maltby has NO business being on this team. One of the dumbest things I've ever seen for a Team Canada that could have just about any Canadian player it wants.

Smyth deserves to be in the line-up and I'd rather see him then Gagne on the Sakic line but I suppose Gagne had previous success with Sakic.

Personally, if I was to tinker with Quinn's lines I'd like to see:

Richards-Lemiuex-St.Louis - Can't argue with this line...

Gagne-Thornton-Heatley - I don't like Marleau here and think Gagne may fit in better...

Smyth-Sakic-Iginla - I think this would be the best line in the tourny. It has everything.

Morrow-Draper-Doan - Morrow is a great checking LWer, Draper is solid although Marleau could slide in here depending on the opposition. Doan adds a bit of everything to the line.

The only line I really don't like is the stupid checking line. Draper is marginal IMO and Maltby has no business here. I think Morrow is a 2 way LWer and Doan is a good 2 way RWer. I don't think Draper is the best checking center Canada has to offer...and I don' t know that we need that specific a role player. Yes, the team needs role players but it's not like we have a team of ego maniacs who would refuse a role.

[Edited on 2004/8/24 by Zowpeb]