Interesting developments in Tampa

dlbalr

Today, an arbitration awarded $3.9 M to TB W Cory Stillman, a raise from $2.75 M last season. However, Tampa has rejected the award, and Stillman is now a UFA.

In order to replace him, the Bolts have re-acquired W Vaclav Prospal from Anaheim in exchange for a 2nd rounder, as the Ducks continue to cut salaries.

So, Tampa cuts the guy they acquired to replace Prospal, and then got Prospal back. Interesting...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=95097

Originally posted by Uwey

Prospal is going to earn $2.5 mill this upcoming season, so my question is why couldn't the habs have moved a second round pick for a guy like Prospal, to play on a line with Ryder & Ribeiro???

When you put it like that, one would think that virtually every team would be interested at that type of cost. However, it's a little more complex than that. Prospal still has 5, count 'em, 5 years left on his contract. In this time period of fiscal uncertainty, not a whole lot of GM's are willing to take on a player for 5 more years, albeit for a talented player at a relatively low cost. (Prospal's contract was front-loaded; he made $6.6 M or so this past season.) If there were just, say, 2 years left on his deal, Anaheim's asking price would've been a lot more than just a 2nd round pick, and there would've been plenty of interest for him.

Prospal is going to earn $2.5 mill this upcoming season, so my question is why couldn't the habs have moved a second round pick for a guy like Prospal, to play on a line with Ryder & Ribeiro???  

Anyways I wouldn't like to have a Prospal on my team, I would rather see Dagenais on the 2nd line ... :o:wall::D

I found it interesting how Prospal, at the time, ditched Tampa, a team on the rise, to go play with the Ducks who made it to the Cup finals.

The year later, Ducks suck, not to mention that the Habs eliminated any hope left in making the playoffs (remember, with like a few minutes left they were down by 2 goals and pulled out Giguere from the nets).

Now Prospal comes back to the team that won a cup a year later. Would be funny is Tampa Bay would suck next season. That should teach Vaclav a good lesson.

Originally posted by habsfannr1

Anyways I wouldn't like to have a Prospal on my team, I would rather see Dagenais on the 2nd line ... :o:wall::D

My guess is he's either kidding or sniffing glue!!!!:o

Good move both hockey wise & money wise for Tampa... great job by their GM.

As for Prospal coming here, I'd remind you he & Breezer hate each like no other 2 players in the game.

They've had a few incidents over the years, namely one in which Breezer accused Prospal of calling him a frog.. etc.

We have enough drama in our locker room as it is, and I don't want us reaching out for a guy who isn't that great and we're stuck with for the next 5 years... we have quite a few prospects that will need room long before then.

The only negative for Habs fans is that a conference rival that crushed them in the playoffs just got even better.

In the meantime, we have to sign Kovalev just to avoid taking a step back from the team we fielded in the playoffs.

Bob has some work to do.