Now...what about the assistants?

huzer

So now that the Habs have juggled Savard over to personnel, and brought Gainey in as GM, does Madden stay as the Asst. GM?

And what about the coaching staff. Gainey said he didn't foresee having to make any changes (meaning Julien may be safe for now), but what about the assistant coaches (and yes, I'm talking about YOU, Mr. Green). The Habs currently have 4 assistant coaches (5 freakin' caoches????), which is more than most normal teams carry. There are still some shakeups necessary, it seems.

Also, it makes me wonder about that Madden article a few weeks back, where he kinda rates, if you will, some of the guys on the farm. Most noteably, he didn't sound too high on either Gratton or Ryder. Madden/Savard were the same guys writing off Ward to "maybe" 4th line duties, if he even made it to the NHL. I wonder if the perception of those players will change at all. I'm hoping that the Habs will do their high altitude training at Vail again this year, so I can go watch again. Sounds like that would be a great article for the new website!

So now that the Habs have juggled Savard over to personnel, and brought Gainey in as GM, does Madden stay as the Asst. GM?

Of course not, AS is now the asst. GM.

The Gazette mentionned today that Gainey will speak with Madden to see if another role can be given to him in the organization. (I'm thinking he was AS's right hand man... AS is still here and he'll find room for him)

In situations like this they invent tiltle like "Player development executive/Recruitment advisor/Parking lot attendant"... ;)

Speaking of making room, long-time scout Mondou will retire (he was forced out) and Dorion (our old head of scouting, now it's Timmins who followed AS from Ottawa) will soon suffer the same fate.

Gainey did NOT give Julien a vote of confidence... what he effectively said is "no comment for now".

He could stay, he could go... we just don't know.

Charron is gone, Green being an ex-teammate I don't know if that helps him, perhaps Jodoin, Melanson is here to stay for sure.

What does Jodoin do that makes him a definite to stay?

And is Melanson a definite if Roy wants to join the Habs?

And when you say Charon is gone, it he really gone, or is he as good as gone? And why is he gone?

And why is Green still here?

Who else is there left to join the coaching staff?

What's Robinson doing right now? Would it be too much of a power struggle to see Robinson, Julien and Carboneau as coaches and assitant coaches?

I thought Savard was made Director of Player Personnel, not Asst GM (unless those two titles are one and the same). I haven't found anything to the contrary. But I do agree with your comments about CJ, Gainey didn't sound too committed to the guy initially. May take on it was that he would potentially leave Julien in place, but the assitants need to be cleaned out.

I know that, realistically, it's all about political titles, since I don't think Madden will be given the boot, but I've never heard of an Assistant Director of Player Personnel...hehe.

Huzer said:I thought Savard was made Director of Player Personnel, not Asst GM (unless those two titles are one and the same). I haven't found anything to the contrary.

Well I never heard anything other than asst. GM for Savard:

- "The 49-year-old, who was also named executive vice-president, was a key member of the Montreal team that won four consecutive Stanley Cups in the 1970s, will take over from Andre Savard, who agreed to become assistant GM."

link here

- "he replaces andr? savard, who had been the team's gm since november 20, 2000, and who will remain with the canadiens as gainey's assistant. both have agreed to four-year contracts."

link here

- "The Montreal Canadiens shook up their front office on Monday, introducing Bob Gainey as the team's new Executive Vice President and General Manager, while former GM Andre Savard will be the new Assistant General Manager."

link here

I think it's safe to say André Savard will assistant GM. :)

So Madden will have to be given a new role in the organization if he is to stay. (I'm sure he will)

Gainey will likely bring in some of his own people too... he used to work with Doug Jarvis in Dallas, and he is no longer under contract with Dallas so he seems like a likely candidate... either as an assistant coach or in the front ofice in some capacity.

Then there are the obvious Robinson & Carbo rumors... Carbo apparently said on a radio interview yesterday that he would think about it very seriously if offered the coaching job in Montreal. I think the Carbo angle has more substance to it than the Robinson angle.

If that happened Gainey would have someone he knows well, and who happens to know the players well since he was asst. coach just 2 years ago so he knows most of the guys.

It would seem like a perfect fit. Then CJ would remain as an assistant and head coach in waiting, a demotion similar to what AS just accepted.

Originally posted by TheAussiePosse

What does Jodoin do that makes him a definite to stay?

His rep has always been that he's a very good hockey man, he was an asst coach under Vigneault and when Vigneault was fired he was kept in the organization with one of those "director of player development" titles... then eventually returned as Therrien's asst. coach.

So he managed to stick through one regime change, someone has his back in the organization... will he manage to pull it off again I don't know.

And is Melanson a definite if Roy wants to join the Habs?

:eyes: Roy wants to be GM one day, not goalie coach... and he's said a million times he wants to focus on the Quebec Rempart for now.

He's not coming here as goalie coach any time soon.

And when you say Charon is gone, it he really gone, or is he as good as gone?  And why is he gone?

He was force-fed to Therrien by AS, and stunk the place up... he was head of the special teams, decided to install a new system instead of sticking with Carbo's that had worked the previous year: we ended up last on PK.

He's useless and I've heard a few people in the media mention he's as good as gone.

And why is Green still here?

He's the toughest to judge... everyone bitches about him, but how can you blame him for bad defense when he's got the likes of Brisebois, Dykhuis, Traverse, the injured Rivet, & no Souray to work with?

The only competent guys that are under his tutelage are Markov & Komi, and they've both done very well... especially Markov who's pregression has been phenominal.

Now I'm just wondering if being Gainey's ex-teammate will mean he's proctected now... and if Carbo comes in he worked with him too 2 years ago so he'd have friends everywhere in the organization.

Who else is there left to join the coaching staff?

Head coach: Carbo

Assistants: CJ, Doug Jarvis, Green, Melanson.. Jodoin who knows.

What's Robinson doing right now?  Would it be too much of a power struggle to see Robinson, Julien and Carboneau as coaches and assitant coaches?

I'd only want Robinson as an assistant, and he's getting offers to be head coach in Pittsburgh & NYR.

I don't think he's coming here.

Plus GG, PB, BG all know and love Carbo... I think he's a slam dunk if Gainey is not going to stick with CJ.

[Edited on 4-6-03 by Habs77]

Can Julien go back to Hamilton for the 4th/5th rounder? Please?

:lol:

oh well. Do we keep the Hamilton coach next season, or what? Does he go with the EDM guys over to the Roadrunners? If so, who becomes HAM's coach? Therrien?

As you see in the signature, I want Julien back in Hamilton ASAP. Not because I don't like him as a coach, but I'd prefer Carbonneau or Robinson.

But that's life. I'm just worried that we turn out like the Devils: Great goalie and defense, but offense is barely enough to keep going. Sure, we'd win, but I think the majority of fans (bar goalie fans) would prefer a 6-5 game rather than a 2-1 game with lots of great saves.

:ghg:

I wouldn't expect CJ to take a demotion back to the farm at all. And unless he had been slapped with the "interim" tag when he replaced Therrien, I see no reason, for the time being, to expect him to be anything but the head coach at the start of the season. Is there a chance Carbo could come in? Sure, and I for one would be thrilled. He's the reason I changed my number to 21 way back when.

As far as the asst GM stuff, I guess I hadn't reread any articles since the preliminary reports, when they all said that Savard had whatever title they dumped on him. My bad.

And the day they bring back Big Bird, they best retire his number on the same day.

I'd prefer to keep CJ as the coach , he doesnt deserve to lose his job , he hasnt even had a full training camp under his belt. The guy has been sucessful at every level he has coached , lets just give him a fair chance...

And whats this talk about Carbo? Sure he was a great assistant for one year here but is he ready to be a head coach? He's even less experienced then CJ...

And no way Carbo comes back as a assitant , he'll only come back to the habs if he is named HEAD coach IMO...

As for Robinson , I doubt he is even interested in taking the high pressured head coaching job in Montreal , though I'd love him to come onboard as an assistant , and the same goes for J.Laperriere.

Fine, no Carbo then. It was a bit rude talking on the radio about taking someone else's job.

But Julien (IMO) isn't strong enough as a coach. He's a good guy for the younger players. SO keep him in Hamilton until our next coach sucks (like Therrien).

He can win us back2back Calder Cups!

Laperriere as assistant coach? I'd live with it, but what does he bring to the team that isn't already here, or that wouldn't be brought with Carbo/Robinson/Julien/etc?

ANd do we really want to turn our team into the NJ devils lookalike? strong defensive squad winning every game 2-1?

I don't. I've said it time and time again...

A 6-5 win is better than a 2-1 win.

SO bring on the coaches. Getting better is good, as long as we can score