Kovalev wants to remain a Canadien

Habitforming

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/article/1...04,778750.shtml

This article was translated by JL on Montreal Canadiens.ca

Kovalev: I really want to return

The man who made the Bell Centre vibrate during the 2004 playoffs was in Ottawa for a practice with Team Russia in preparation for the World Cup.

The veteran clearly affirmed that he would like to return to Montreal, mainly because of the fans, who were marvellous during the playoffs.

"Montreal would constitute my first choice. I think back on the enthusiasm of the fans in the playoffs, on the way in which I was treated by the organization, there are many more reasons which encourage me to play again for the Canadiens. I really want to return."

"Never will I forget the reception that the crowd gave me when I stepped on the ice for my first game at the Bell Centre in March. I know that the Canadiens would like to retain my services and I would be ready to sign a contract for less money with Montreal...but one shouldn't exaggerate in that sense."

However, without a new CBA between the NHL and the NHLPA, the GMs aren't quick to concede contracts to star players. Several are still without contracts a few weeks from the beginning of training camps.

"I didn't hear from my agent for a while. The last time that I spoke to him, no teams wanted to do anything. With the renewal of the collective agreement, nobody really wants to move. Nobody says to us yes or no, they wait until that is settled. When all is resolved, there will be contract signings."

"The majority of the first tier players are still without contracts, and I understand the teams' positions at the present time", adds Kovalev. "I haven't lost hope concerning the Canadiens. After the resolution of the conflict there will be contract signings. I hope to continue my career in Montreal when all is said and done."

"That depends on what they will propose. In any event I am 99% convinced that the Canadiens will not offer us a contract before the NHL and the NHLPA come to an agreement on the CBA. And we must be patient. One does not want to sign at a bad time. It's a risk we take, but we want to see what the market looks like once the new CBA is in place."

[Edited on 30-8-04 by Habs77]

Let's not get out hopes up too much. I like the sound of the articl, but you can never be certain. Don't get too complacent about it, or he'll sign elsewhere.

I personally choose to be hopeful, but pessimistic. That way it feels just as good if we sign him, but doesn't hurt quite as much if someone else swoops in and grabs him.

Yea, after another team seeing this article, we might see something come up about the other team who is trying to get him.

Eitherway, good news, but i'll be happy when he signs on OUR dotted line. :D

Finaly some news regarding his position. Great work guys, keep it up.

GO :hlogo: GO !!! and :can: too :D