Czech - Finland

Another heartless performance by the Czechs. They were brutal.

I hate the way the tournament is setup. For example, a team like the Czechs could go 0-3 during the round robin, but still have a chance to win the tournament (since it's single elminination games). I dont know why they just don't have the top two teams from each division go threw to the playoffs and play each other.

Finland was impressive today. Saku was dominant and looked good with Selanne. I was impressed with his younger brother, I must say.

I knew that they'd have a good team, but to kill the Czechs like that is unreal! Is it that Finland is that strong, or that the Czechs are that bad? :?-

<i>I hate the way the tournament is setup. For example, a team like the Czechs could go 0-3 during the round robin, but still have a chance to win the tournament (since it's single elminination games). I dont know why they just don't have the top two teams from each division go threw to the playoffs and play each other.

</i>

I agree. I think that the top 3 teams shiould make it through with the first place team getting a bye to the semis. The round robin is almost pointless to some extent, sure you can get home-ice advantage (i think that only applies to the euro division) and it determines who your opponent is, but like Leafs suck said, you can lose all 3 of these games and have the same chance of winning as someone who went 3-0.

Does anyone else think that the divisions are unbalanced?

Here is how i would rank the teams going in to the tourney, of course this is meaningless now that the tourney has started, but bear with me.

Slovakia > Germany

Russia > Finland

US > Czech

Canada > Sweden

Apparently Mr. Koivu kicked some serious ass :D. Glad to see Habs members doing a good job, and well, common its Koivu :D.

As long as he doesnt give Canada too much of a hard time. :can:

The round robin is almost pointless

The round robin is pointless. Like I said, 0-3 and lose every game 10-0 and all you need is a solid 60 minutes and you move into the Semis.

And calling it the World Cup is a farce too. I have said all along, they should allow 16 teams. Have 4 divisions of 4 teams and the top two go threw (similiar to the Euro2004). That gives smaller hockey countries like Norway, France, Denmark, Austria, Latvia, Poland (places like that) a chance to compete and gain alot of experience. Going to a major tournament and facing off against the likes of Mario Lemieux, Ilya Kovalchuk and Peter Forsberg can only help hockey in those countries. And isn't that what this tournament is all about? Helping the game?

Sure Canada and Sweden would roll over on those teams, but atleast it gives them a chance and atleast it makes the tournament more interesting and entairtaining.

Austria isn't such a small hockey country as you think, you can't compare them to France, Norway, Denmark, etc. We'll beat such teams in a second ....

Austria is getting better from year to year, I would put them on a level like Germany. (right now we are even longer at the World Championship divison than Germany, because they played in the Divison 2 a couple of years ago) In Prag we tied Canada, easily beat France, tied Suisse, etc ... it isn't that bad I suppose. Next year we'll also have the World Championships in our country and with young guys like Vanek, Pöck, Brückler, Setzinger or even Koch we also have some very good young players who all have the potential to play in the NHL. ;)

[Edited on 31-8-04 by habsfannr1]