Niinimaa going home.

ch_nl

Finlands Janne Niinimaa are going home. Not to play the Germans but to drop off the finnish team.

The reason? He didn't get along with Raimo Summanen.

This is bad for the finns. As a Swede I always find it amusing. Maybe this will result in a loss tonight. I don't think so and in my deepest heart I wish the best teams good luck, and Finland are much better than Germany.

But anyways this is really bad for Finland. Can they bring in a new player?

They should use the 7th or 8th d-man they selected to the team. As for emergency call ups, the roster of active players has to dip to 20 or below before they can add someone who has not yet been named to the team.

Actually, it has to dip below 20... (19)... as is the case with Canada if we lose another defenceman, we will be stuck playing with 5, because we will have 20 players, and u need to go under in order to do an emergency call up.

Anywayz, this is quite a blow for Finland, but, I still don't see it causing them to lose, they will probably continue to play hard, and treat it as if they had an unwanted injury. Teams have proven in the past that they can win with a few good players off the roster.

No surprise for me, Niinimaa had already big problems with his coach during this years World Championships.

Perhaps you also remember, Niinimaa wasn't officially in the "starting lineup" for this World Cup because of these problems. He came into the team because Berg couldn't play.

For me one of the reason why Summainen isn't very popular is Jarri Kuri. He's an assistant coach for Team Suomi but in fact he's the real head coach. Most of the players listen more to him than to Summainen ... I think the best would be if Kurri would take over as head coach. Summainen knows that also and I bet this pisses him off too ... ;)

According to some, coach Summainen went a little over the top in the dressing room following the Finns-Sueds game.

In light of their first low-performance game of the tournement against the German, it seems to suggest to me, that something more than just Niinimaa was missing in action.

How do you go from " they certainly can make it to the final" to "they'll never pass the semifinal" in such short time ?

Koivu point it out on the french canadian channel after the game that this was the worst performance of the national team since he first started to play in it quite a while ago.

Can they regain control ?

Is Summainen to be blamed ? :wall:

Has he ever been in a Turkish prison ?