Your early favourites for the NHL individual awards

CerebusClone

We're only a quarter into the season, and things can change very quickly. Nonetheless, here are my current picks for the NHL individual awards (most of them):

Hart: Patrick Marleau. He’s been a steady force and leader for the best team in the NHL. Marleau has always been capable of being an impact player in the NHL, but has always lacked consistency, and is capable of the worst. Well after a quarter season he’s still going strong, doing everything for the Sharks, logging heavy ice-time, and contributing on the NHL’s most dominant line so far this season with Thornton and Setogushi.

Jack Adams: Todd McLellan. He’s doing a superb job with the Sharks this season. This team last year was where the Canadiens are today, a team filled with skilled players that most people saw strong Cup contenders, but that lacked structure and strong team play. This season, the Sharks are finally the hockey machine they were supposed to be, the entire team is playing well instead of relying so much on Thornton, and they control their games. McLellan definitely went to the right school in Detroit.

Norris: Shea Weber. He’s been a dominant force this season, not only in the offensive zone as his statistics clearly, but also in his own all this while remaining a physical force. He’s establishing himself as a bonafide top 5 defensemen in the NHL even though he doesn’t get the same recognition as a Phaneuf.

Vezina: Nicklas Backstrom. He’s been a model of consistency this season, and like Weber he doesn’t the recognition he deserves.

Calder: Derrick Brassard (?). This is a really tough one, and at this point I would put Drew Doughty on par with Brassard. I choose Brassard because he’s been a consistent leader for the Blue Jackets so far this season.

Edited by CerebusClone

Norris: Shea Weber. He’s been a dominant force this season, not only in the offensive zone as his statistics clearly, but also in his own all this while remaining a physical force. He’s establishing himself as a bonafide top 5 defensemen in the NHL even though he doesn’t get the same recognition as a Phaneuf.

Yup. It's sad to see him barely in the top 10 D-men in All-Star voting in the west.

You have to put Tim Thomas' name in for the Vezina. The guy's in his 30s and he's playing like a damn kid. You know if Fernandez was the number 1 guy they wouldn't be on top of the division right now.

Those are my current picks, but there are other very good picks as well. I picked McLellan for the Jack Adams because I see a huge difference between what the team looked like under Wilson and the hockey machine that are the Sharks now (with only one significant addition, Blake instead of McLaren, Campbell->Boyle is a swap a best).. however Claude Julien is also doing a superb job on Boston. In fact, if the NHL voted now Julien would without a doubt win the Jack Adams considering that for some reason - like Montreal last year - this team was underrated by most "esperts" even though there is a lot of depth and talent on that team. I think I placed them a strong 6th or 7th, but only because this group is just coming together so they are bound to go through a couple of slumps.