Gratton and Vrbata waived by Tampa Bay

Chris

Probably posted in the wrong area but Gratton and Vrbata were waived by Tampa.

you're in the right place !!

we should start a official Lightning are clueless thread.

Vrbata will finish out the season in the Czech Republic.

Last year, we would have been happy to claim Gratton off waivers...

Vrbata will finish out the season in the Czech Republic.

Last year, we would have been happy to claim Gratton off waivers...

Why ??

Why ??

To the second part? Well, I would have been happy to get Gratton at the deadline last year and I remember other people here were talking about the option of picking him up as well. We could have used a veteran C that can take faceoffs going into the playoffs. Now, I don't really see us having a use for him other than faceoffs.

I always thought that he was over-rated as a power forward and didn't have enough skill to be a skill forward.

That doesn't mean he can't be a great asset as a third or forth liner. A guy like Gratton may never have lived up to expectations, but he's still a far superior player to guys like Dandeneault, Garth Murray, Begin ... who are very limited in skills, and bring very little to the team overall. Gratton is large, strong, wins faceoffs, has become a fairly strong defensive centre while still having the skills to help the team in the offensive zone.

Unfortuantely for him the Lightning are going nowhere, and they decided to save a little money, and develop Steve Downie, and give chances to guys like Szczechura who are doing well at the AHL level. It's unfortunate for Gratton, but I think it's a good idea.