Kyle Chipchura : A Closer look

puck7x

Originally posted by beckham

But overall, he seems to be falling into the "nothing special" category that the scouts quoted said about him. But I guess you can't expect too much with the 18th pick in a weak draft year.

That's ok, he will still be effective even he he becomes only nothing special. If he continues to improve his foot speed, shot power, and acceleration, he'll likely have a very solid career in the NHL playing an effective 3rd or 4th line role, a big forward that will work hard, take the body and is solid in his own end. That's not exciting at this point of his career, but in 5-10 years when he's perhaps helping to win a cup, he'll be the kind of player we' are glad we have.

The question for me is more about what kind of offensive upside does he really have? Some people tried to tell me they see him as a 1st line center in the NHL, I can't say I agree at all, but I could see his upside as more of a 2nd line center in say 4-5 years, if his offensive game continues to progress and doesn't top out.

For me I was disappointed at the time of the draft. To me I was hoping we would take someone with a lot more upside, but I understood the pick made a lot of sense in building a team position by position. I can't say I'm not happy with the pick now though, after watching him at the rookie camp. I think he will likely make a very good 3rd line center or checking line role, but time will tell.

But he has to have the drive and intensity to become any kind of an NHL player. The book on Kyle was that he didn't have breathtaking skills, but he was a character player and a winner. He hasn't shown that. I think what will hold him back is not a lack of physical skills, but mental skills. I think he has the physical tools to be a solid NHL player, but not (so far) the character.

Originally posted by beckham

But he has to have the drive and intensity to become any kind of an NHL player. The book on Kyle was that he didn't have breathtaking skills, but he was a character player and a winner. He hasn't shown that. I think what will hold him back is not a lack of physical skills, but mental skills. I think he has the physical tools to be a solid NHL player, but not (so far) the character.

I can't say I agree. He looks good to me. We'll see how he'll progresses 3-5 years from now. Character is also hard to really guage from the stands or from the couch/computer.

To be fair, the P.A. Raiders have played most of their games on the road to start the season, and play 7 of their next 8 at home, I think, to balance things out. there is still time to turn things around. Also, Chipchura has been in on 50% of his team's offense, even though he missed a game. That is higher than any of the other top draft picks from 2004, and probably from 2003 as well. The closest are Picard at 40% and Schremp at 37%.

Most of the top picks returning to junior started the year slowly, but most have got things rolling of late. Hopefully Chipchura and the Raiders will get some momentum from this home stand.

I'm going to go watch him play when he comes to Saskatoon this winter and I'll post a topic about him if you guys want to.

They're in the same division as the Baldes but for some reason the Raiders will only play their first game here in December on January. :wall:

Kyle has 10 games left to win an invitation to the WJC camp. Most of them are home games, and he is on a 4 game point scoring streak, so things are looking better. From the sound of it, Brent Sutter is only going to invite about 28 players to the main camp, so there will be fierce competition.

Luckily for Kyle he is a left handed shot, the competition is far less for left handed forwards than righties. Especially if Patrice Bergeron, Nathan Horton and Brent Burns all show up. Besides those three, there is Jeff Carter, Corey Perry, Anthony Stewert, Ryan Getzlaf all shooting right. It would be virtually impossible for Chipchura to crack that group. Playing the left side with his defense and faceoff skills, as well as being a WHLer will all work in his favor. But he still has to pick up his play for these last games, I think.

I forgot there is also Eric Fehr, Travis Zajac and M.A. Pouliot for right handed shooters. Plus Steve Bernier and Jeremy Colliton. Some of those will end up playing centre, likely Bergeron and Horton, perhaps Zajac and Pouliot. Kyle will have to make it as a LW, where the holdovers are Nigel Dawes and Mike Richards that I know of for sure. Jeff Tambellini, Daniel Paille and Maxim Talbot are all gone from last year.

[Edited on 2004/11/24 by beckham]

Chipchura is going to be in very tough to make the WJC roster. Ryan Stone, David Bolland, Stefan Meyer and Andrew Ladd have made big impressions in the Challenge series so far. They have all shown a lot more quickness and intensity than Kyle. On the plus side, he was matched up against the Yunkov/Voloshenko line most often in the last game, and neutralized them pretty effectively.

After watching him a second time, I doubt that he will make the national team. He takes to long to process out there. I wouldn't pick him, but maybe Sutter will if he has a specific checking role in mind for Chipchura.

It is pretty safe to say that he will take some time to make the NHL and not be any sort of an offensive force when he does. His upside seems very limited and he will have to work really hard to make the NHL as a grinder.

You think this sucks as a habs fan? Try being a Prince Albert Raiders fan.

Their only shining star is done for the season.

That really hurts on top of Komisarek. The team's top two prospects both with potentially career hampering injuries. Watching Kyle in the games against the Russians, his style does seem quite herky-jerky, he seemed off balance a lot and his stops and starts weren't very smooth. That would lead to muscle and tendon pulls. But I'm still a bit pissed that he was even on the ice on Friday morning. He played Tuesday, had a big game, flew to Red Deer following that and probably got in late. Played the next two nights along with (probable) practices each day, flew out Thursday night and probably didn't get back to Prince Albert until the wee hours of the morning, then Anholt has him out in a practice the same day? :nono:

Just as the Raiders are starting to turn things around and score some goals. They brought in a few new players and look like a different team. I'm sure that Kyle would have had 5 or 6 points in the past couple of games and averaged a couple of points per game for the balance of the season.

Also, by the look of the WJC selection camp, I think he would have gotten an invite as least.

Bummer, bummer, bummer......

• 2 weeks later...