Recent Rumored Deal You Wish We'd Pulled Off

Fanpuck33_

What rumored deal do you most wish the Habs had pulled off?

For me, it was trading up in the '98 draft to get Vinny Lecavalier. For years I've said the team needs a French-Canadian star, and this kid seemed to be just what the doctor ordered. Perhaps he could have developed faster in our system, or perhaps we'd have given up on him too soon. I'd have liked to take the chance though.

I gladly would have given up our first two picks, 1st round 16th (Chouinard) and 2nd round 45th (Ribeiro) in a package for the 1st pick.

[Edited on 2004-12-29 by puck7x]

[Edited on 2004-12-31 by puck7x]

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

What rumored deal do you most wish the Habs had pulled off?

For me, it was trading up in the '98 draft to get Vinny Lecavalier.  For years I've said the team needs a French-Canadian star, and this kid seemed to be just what the doctor ordered.  Perhaps he could have developed faster in our system, or perhaps we'd have given up on him too soon.  I'd have liked to take the chance though.

I gladly would have given up our first two picks, 1st round 16th (Chouinard) and 2nd round 45th (Ribeiro) in a package for the 1st pick.

- Roy for Nolan/Deadmarsh/Fiset (or something like that)

I NEVER wanted to trade Roy in the first place, but... If I had my choice between this deal and the deal we accepted, I'd take this one.

Ohhh and the many Rucinsky rumours we heard before he actually ended up being traded for Audette... Some of those rumours were pretty good iirc.

Good question! Hmmm.. at the time, I didn't want Lecavalier in a Habs jersey but that was because I went to elemantry and high school with him and we didn't get along. But, he's a hell of a hockey player and I would like to see him here now. I would bet a whole dollar that Lecavalier will, one day, play for the Habs.

Anyway, there's been so many rumors that had little to no truth to them that it's become almost impossible to remember them. The most recent one was Recchi coming back.. but he signed with Pittsburg, that would have been nice. And then there was the Teemu Selanne rumor, which would also be sweet.. although, I'd prefer having Kovalev return.

There was a rumor that Montreal might go after Lyle Odelein or Sean Hill at last year's trade deadline. Would have loved to see Odie end his carear with the team he staretd with.

Originally posted by HABS Fan Nr.1

The Kowaltschuk rumour ... as I can remember it was Markov, Garon and a 2nd (or 1st??) for Atlanta's 1st pick. I would have done that in a moment, though Markov is quite a good defenceman right now.

[Edited on 14-11-04 by habsfannr1]

I hate to play the role of player-name spelling police, but you really messed up Ilya's... lol

Kovalchuk...

Originally posted by HABS Fan Nr.1

Nope it's perfect Russian and it's Ilja Kowaltschuk ... :P

I'm used to the Russian names, so I'm sorry .... anways, Kovalchuk is just his "US-name". ;)

[Edited on 14-11-04 by HABS Fan Nr.1]

oh really?

I thought you might have been spelling the Russian name, but "Kowaltschuk" just looked too weird to me. I thought at first you were trying to spell Konowalchuk...

Well dont I look stupid now. :guru:

They have it on their Russian jerseys, though I think they've changed it this World Cup from the Russian version to the US. But on the old Russian jerseys there is for e.g. Jashin, Kowaltschuk, Owetschkin, Schamnow (my favourite :D ), and so on. Of course it's again different when you write it in "real Russian" but I really don't know this language. ;)

Originally posted by ch_nl

Hey, HABS Fan Nr. 1

How come you're used to the russian spelling?  

For example in our newspapers they only write these names ... as I've said, of course I don't understand the real Russian language like on Fedorov's Russian jersey:

http://www.dunhamssports.com/graphics/prod.../p112672reg.jpg

:P

I know that some media still uses this spelling. But today it's only the german that does this.

Russian newspapers don't use this "Russian" spelling. And there's no "real" way of spelling a chyrillic name with latin letters.

I think you have to re-evalute your Russian and realize that both ways are more or less wrong. And it's time for German-spoken media to adapt when not even the Russians uses this way of spelling.

Try search on the net for Jasjin or Schamnow. You'll end up with german...

So I've heard that you're used to this spelling. I don't have the problem with you. But with this spelling I have a problem.

In Sweden we had some medias also using this spelling, but a few years ago this was discussed and they came up with that it was nonsense.

They don't use it in Russia and and the players don't have this spelling on their jerseys.

And from what I've seen of Russian hockey they don't use this "Russian" spelling. The only ones that do it currently are German media. Why?

I don't know why they have this spelling, I'm the wrong person to answer that ...

But if you can sleep better, here's a KOVALCHUK for you. :P;)

BTW. I know that they don't have it on the current jerseys, but (I think) I can remember that they had it on former National jerseys.

[Edited on 16-11-04 by HABS Fan Nr.1]

Thanks! Now I feel alot better.

Hmmm... How old are you anyways?

The oldest videotape I've got is from World Championship 1987. Sweden won. And I don't see the "Russian spelling" on their jerseys.

Perhaps I just imagine that I've seen it on the jerseys too ... if so, I'm sorry.

Russian newspapers don't use this "Russian" spelling. And there's no "real" way of spelling a chyrillic name with latin letters.  

So Kovalchuk is also wrong when you can't really translate the chyrillic language ...? In the end it really doesn't matter if it's Kovalchuk or Kowaltschuk (as the "German translation" is)? ;)

Anyways I'll switch to the English version, so nobody can't complain about my *German names* ... :king:

[Edited on 17-11-04 by HABS Fan Nr.1]

Ribeiro is no superstar, and Perralut is nowhere near a superstar.  And sure Theodore is a star, but I'm talking about a non-goalie, a guy who puts pucks in the back of the net and makes the home town fans proud.    

Perreault was a Habs star for the year Koivu was sidelined. The leading scorer.

Ribeiro, according to Montreal Media is definitely a star-to-be.

And a player that makes Quebec proud is Saku Koivu. The Habs has its fair share of Quebecois players, we aren't in desperate need of more.

Originally posted by Ribeiro

And a player that makes Quebec proud is Saku Koivu.  The Habs has its fair share of Quebecois players, we aren't in desperate need of more.

Quebecois players yes. But none are superstars. And I think Montrealers would be much prouder of a Quebecois superstar than they are of Koivu. No offense to Koivu at all, but the truly great Habs teams always had its share of native superstars.

Originally posted by ch_nl

I don't care wich spelling you are using. Spell whatever is natural to you. But I dislike that german speaking media is still using this. Must be Klaus Zauggs fault...

Klaus Zaugg would be the perfect man for something like that ... :lol:

• 1 month later...

Yzerman for Schneider. Savard said no cause "Yzerman hadn't proven himself in the playoffs" yet. That was in 94.

It's not Montreal, but I always laughed at this one.

In 1993, Toronto turned down a deal that would have sent Joe Sakic and Stephane Fiset to Toronto for Felix Potvin.

There was actually a 2nd chance to get Vinny for Montreal, Torts didn't like him a lot in his first year in Tampa, and he almost went to TO or MTL. I'd guess he would have gone back to #8, since 4 is retired.

I can't actually think of another trade I would have liked a lot....I think we could have done better in the big Rangers/Capitals salary dump, however.