I'm off the bandwagon-it's time for major changes!

REV-G

I've been a loyal Canadiens fan for a few decades now, and I think most long term fans have always throughly enjoyed the good times and called the deep rooted bad times what they are, time for change.

I think we have arrived at the point where we have to look at reality. Unless there is a miraculous turn-around I think that major components of the core of this team have been left behind, their best days are behind them and it's showing up in glaring fashion. Saturday night's Leafs-Canadiens game had the commentators and between period analyists describing some of our players as heartless, no desire and players that Gainey is going to have to change this summer. As much as I hate to agree with them, at this point I do agree. There comes a time when loyalty to players has run it's course, and for me, I'm there. We're clinging to a play-off spot, in danger of missing the play-offs and staggering badly against everyone it seems. And in a season where we were eying first place and a run at the Stanley Cup, in our 100th year.

So this is what I believe needs to happen. Regarding players currently in the NHL, starting with the forwards I'd move the following players this summer: Kovalev, Koivu, Higgins, Plekanec, Laraque, Metropolit and Dandenault. I'd keep, in no particular order, Tanguay, Lang, A. Kostitsyn, Pacioretty, D'Agostini, Lapierre, Latendresse and Kostopoulos.

On defence I'd keep Markov, Komisarek, Hamrlik, Georges and Obyrne. I'd move or release Bouillion, Schneider and Brisebois and go after a top 4 defenceman.

We've had injuries, but I don't think that's been our problem. Our problem has been that starting with players like Kovalev, Koivu and Higgins we have simply not been able to do the job and it's time for change.

I'd keep both Price and Halak and bring in a defenseman coach.

I really hope that Bob Gainey is around to make the changes, because there are few other GM's who know the league like Gainey does and he's proven that he know's what it takes in todays NHL to be successful. That's been evident by the way he's emphasized building through the draft while some other GM's have traded their picks and gone no-where. I don't blame Gainey for the present state of this team. At the beginning of the year I think most of us looked at this team and felt really good about it. The players have been unable to deliver. It's time for major change!

Edited by REV-G

Did you forget this is the Montreal Canadiens: there is no bandwagon.

I'd keep Plex as a #2 ctr; even though I'm not a big fan, can't fault him for showing up during this awful recent run. Makes a very nice option at #2 ctr imo. especially with maybe Pacioretty and S Kost. I'd look to A Kost and Tanguay as our wingers on a top line, centered by a pure playmaker with some size...???

Keep Higgins at a reasonable price, 3rd line only. Works very well it seems with Tanguay and Lapierre, or Latendresse & Lapierre; 3rd-line for sure, very solid 3rd line, Higgins-Lapierre-Latendresse. Keep him playing with Lapierre, the energy rubs off and he makes things happen. Ideally, if we are going after Metropolit-like guys, I'd look to give Chipchura a real run next year as 4th-line ctr; if that fails, maybe even White, though it might be too soon for him.

I'd let Lang walk, too much gamble on a player his age coming back from that injury. Like him, but want to go with Plex and Lapierre as our # 2 & 3 ctrs. Koivu and Kovalev have to go, sentiment aside. If Koivu comes back, we are creating a disastrous mess, unless he becomes the 4th-line ctr.

On D I'd for sure keep Markov; after that, all trade-able. In fact, I'd argue Hamrlik and Gorges should be moved. Maddeningly soft is Josh, all back in, back up, stab at puck, playing keepaway on the end boards - maybe a new d partner would help, or something; insane giveaways and constant soft play have caught up with Hamrlik; so often he is caught in between, stationary, giving forwards hosts of options. You won't get a top-4 d-man with Markov, Komisarek and Hamrlik around. Something has to give. I'd bring up one rookie on the d-corps.

Absolutely need a hard-ass coach with a hard-ass d-coach to implement a hard-ass d-system.

Plek is a tough call. I would definitely keep Higgins, but at 3rd line money. I would only gamble on Lang if the money was right. Remember, Gainey could get a few draft picks for Plek if some other GM tries to scoop him. Isn't that the rule? Either way, I would only keep one of Plek or Lang, and that would depend on Money and Lang's health. I think Laps is much more suited as a 3rd line centre, so I agree that I would give Chips an honest shot for the 4th line. As far as 1st line, we need to trade for some skill, but not at the cost of PK Subaan. I think we should see how good he can be. I agree with the rest of your comments on who should stay and who should go.

I wouldn't trade Subban either, see what happens with him. Looks a special kind of player. We have a lot of promising-looking d-men in minors, him, McDonagh, Weber, Fischer, even Carle; we also have a lot of holes on d in the big team, especially over the next couple of years.

I'd think the gamble of Lang over Plex (even for the draft picks - is he an rfa?) will be too rich for Bob; goes way against the trend, and if you're looking for players who are actually driving for wins, Plex is one of only a handful on the team doing so. Not a great game v. Toronto or Ott. but quite good before that. Still has room for improvement as well. Not untouchable - move him if a real offer, like for the puck-mover from d or the top-line ctr comes along - but otherwise keep.

Higgins has found his niche the last couple of games, needs the energy of Lapierre to feed off of. But 3rd line cash, shouldn't be hard to convince him, pull up his stats and injury history, sign on the dotted line Chris.

Edited by tokyohabs