I Hate Golf

KoZed

To most people, golf is more fun to play than to watch.

Golf is a game of skill. Hate it or love, you have to admit, it isn't easy to hit a golf ball through the air and land precisely at a certain point, factoring in the wind and other factors. What Tiger Woods does and others like him is rather unique. That's why landing a good shot is very rewarding. Golf is an "looks easy" but "ain't so easy" kind of game.

The reason people watch golf is the same reason people watch hockey. "Mirror cells" in our brain fire whenever we witness an act that we've done or are used to doing/are used to seeing. Cells that wire together, fire together. The sensation of satisfaction and success when a shot fired off the tee that lands in the hole of a par 3 can be nearly the same when watched on TV versus performed in real life. It's the same for hockey. When we watch hockey, in our brains, we imagine ourselves as the players and when we land a body check of bone-crunching proportions, we get the same neurochemical releases as the players do. Which is why defeat is so unbearable and success to sweet. People, especially males, thrive on the satisfaction of success. It has a large role to play in ambition, ego, competitiveness, etc.

It's the same for golf, except that as a more delicate and precision-skill based game with a slower tempo, the effects tend to be pronounced if you've had previous golfing experience you can relate to.

Here's a video of Tiger Woods just a few days ago. Don't believe me? I think all the fans in attendance were feeling pretty good, not just Tiger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s8CqW00jiA

Edited by Cataclaw

• 3 years later...