Begin to join Bulldogs...

puck7x

wow, that's the greatest news in a while

awesome that 1- he's back on the ice 2-with the dogs?! he's so a great leader.. that will only help the young team 3-he'll get some needed money (not like the bunch of unsatisfied millionaires)

begin only made 400 K last year.. poor guy lol

at least he got a salary while injured this year

Go Begin!!

This is great. Begin will boost the team morale with a few hits here and there. Dawgs can use more players who play with their heart on their sleeve every game.

edit: holy smokes wouldn't it have been nuts if the Dawgs had Ribeiro and Dagenais with them this season. Would be freakin' nuts.

[Edited on 2005/2/18 by Tony]

I don't really see the point. They just had Finnish vet, Anti Meittenin join the team. Now Begin. With Ward, Morgan, Focht, Ivanans, Ellis and all the average age of the team is probably about 26. It just means less playing time for the 20 and 21 year olds. What is the point of having a team full of minor league vets win a championship at the expense of the development of younger players? I wouldn't be hurt to see the last of Ferland, Lambert, Thinel etc., but what was the point of signing them in the first place?

First of all, Ellis and Meittenin are still prospects (although Dallas' prospects) and both are only 24. Secondly, Meittenin was with the team all year, he was just hurt for much of the season.

Next, Ivanans is a fighter, and could very well be with the Habs whenever the league comes back. He has to have somewhere to practice punching people. It's not like he's stealing much ice time from prospects.

Finally, I just did the math, and with the addition of Begin the average age of the team is just over 23. Only 6 players are 26 or older: Begin(26), Ward(26), Morgan(28), Focht(27), Carpentier(26) and Plante(26)

Great to hear Begin is gonna play for the dogs... i might tune in more often now... get to see him throw his weight around...

As far as the age thing goes for all the players... i think its going to become more of a common trend as the NHL continues to be locked out. The players who cant get to europe have to go somewhere, and for many of them, thats the AHL.

It will only get worse the longer the lock out lasts i think.

Originally posted by Tony

holy smokes wouldn't it have been nuts if the Dawgs had Ribeiro and Dagenais with them this season. Would be freakin' nuts.

Yes, but Gainey's goal was to develop the young players. Ribeiro and Dagenais wouldn't have help much probably. Begin, on the other side, can teach them attitude (which they surely lack.. Like plekanec said, they are losing lot of games by 1 goal..). Begin is an awesome leader and can really help the young Habs. Ribeiro and Dagenais aren't players with the best work ethic..

I can understand why Gainey sent Begin and not Ribs and Dags.. :clap::ghg::/)

I can certainly understand why he didn't want Ribs down there, but I thought they should have let Dags go. Dags has some raw skill, but needs to work on his skating and work ethic. He's not improving those by sitting at home. The minors are used to develop players, and Dags still needs development.

I think with the right temperment and some improved skating that he would be a solid player on the line with Ribs and Ryder. He has the goal scorers touch already.

Originally posted by sakiqc
Originally posted by Tony

holy smokes wouldn't it have been nuts if the Dawgs had Ribeiro and Dagenais with them this season. Would be freakin' nuts.

Yes, but Gainey's goal was to develop the young players. Ribeiro and Dagenais wouldn't have help much probably. Begin, on the other side, can teach them attitude (which they surely lack.. Like plekanec said, they are losing lot of games by 1 goal..). Begin is an awesome leader and can really help the young Habs. Ribeiro and Dagenais aren't players with the best work ethic..

I can understand why Gainey sent Begin and not Ribs and Dags.. :clap::ghg::/)

I agree what you say. Just a hypothetical (sp?) question :D

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

First of all, Ellis and Meittenin are still prospects (although Dallas' prospects) and both are only 24. Secondly, Meittenin was with the team all year, he was just hurt for much of the season.

Next, Ivanans is a fighter, and could very well be with the Habs whenever the league comes back. He has to have somewhere to practice punching people. It's not like he's stealing much ice time from prospects.

Finally, I just did the math, and with the addition of Begin the average age of the team is just over 23. Only 6 players are 26 or older: Begin(26), Ward(26), Morgan(28), Focht(27), Carpentier(26) and Plante(26)

From what I've heard, Focht is likely out for the season, which makes the team even younger.

Originally posted by Quebecois

Anyone know when Begin is going to suit up for the Bulldogs? I have tickets for tomorrow's game against the Baby Leafs, hopefully he's in the lineup for then!

I think Begin is playing tonight.

Originally posted by puck7x
Originally posted by Quebecois

Anyone know when Begin is going to suit up for the Bulldogs? I have tickets for tomorrow's game against the Baby Leafs, hopefully he's in the lineup for then!

I think Begin is playing tonight.

Turns out he didnt play tonight, and he wont play tomorrow. According to the radio guys he'll play sometime next week...

From canadiens.com:

The Bulldogs will close out their four-game homestand – their longest of 2004-05 – with a pair of contests on the weekend. Rochester will visit Copps Coliseum on Friday, while the Manitoba Moose will face Hamilton for the first time since Dec. 18 on Saturday. Steve Begin, who signed an AHL contract with Hamilton last Thursday, will continue to work himself into game shape and could start against the Americans.