Blue Ice

Spider-Man NL

http://www.sabres.com/pressbox/index.php?nID=452

The Buffalo Sabres today announced they have installed a light blue ice surface at HSBC Arena for two American Hockey League games being played by their AHL affiliate Rochester - Sunday, March 20 vs. Cleveland Barons and Sunday, April 3 vs. St. John’s Maple Leafs. Both games will begin at 5:00 PM.

“We are very excited to experiment with a light blue ice surface,” said Buffalo Sabres Managing Partner Larry Quinn. “The National Hockey League first introduced the idea of using different types of ice colors and we asked their permission to experiment with the blue ice concept during our two upcoming AHL games. We think the action on the ice will show up better on television with a blue surface and will be easier to see the flow of the puck.”

This experiment, approved by the National Hockey League and the AHL, will also see the traditional blue lines replaced by orange lines and the red center ice line will be dark blue. The face off circles will be orange while the end lines and crease lines will stay red. A complete color diagram and scheme is attached.

Tickets for the two games are priced at $10.00, $15.00 and $20.00 and are available at the HSBC Arena box office, www.sabres.com, and all tickets.com outlets in Tops Markets, www.tickets.com, or charge by phone at 888-223-6000. Sabres season ticket holders can call 1-888-GO SABRES to order tickets.

1110475509_top.jpg

My guess (and sound's like a dumb one) is to make the puck more easier to see on television. Sometimes the games are broadcasted and the ice is so bright the puck is hard to see.

Edit: typo

[Edited on 2005/3/11 by Tony]

the blue ice sounds good, but i dont know about any other colours.... (imagine sum sort of red for the habs?)... Maybe im just traditional or old-fashioned or something, but I still rather have the regular white ice.....

then again... it doesnt look too bad in the pic... lol

Edit: didnt notice the picture in first post... doesnt look too shabby :monkey::eyes:

[Edited on 11/3/05 by Macaskill]

• 2 weeks later...

well i like the idea though, blue ice looks good, at least they arent doing what the tv channel *fox networks* did when they tried to make the puck more visable, when they had the puck highlighted. * crazy americans

Maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I will always prefer white ice.

But if they are going to use blue ice, please use something other then yellow lines. (maybe those are just colours for the sabres arena? sabres colours)