Oxygen vs Hydrogen

alexstream

One explodes, sudden poof when meets with fire, but then it's gone

the other (kinda) slowly burns until it's fully gone.

Is it just me or does that apply to some teams in NHL right now?

I mean I didn't watch that much playoffs hockey (too busy trying to find the best bar in town when the habs are not playing lol.) but I do watch the recaps and the scoresheets.

My understanding is that some teams exploded or created major upsets (one or the other, Wash not being an upset for example, just exploding on montreal :P:

-Phoenix going that hard at Detroit

-Boston overwhelming Buffalo

-Anderson outplaying SJ

-Lou being pounded by LA

-Washington coming back in 3 back to back games to win those games

but in the end, this explosion seems to be created by a momentary "ecstasy"; when you look at those explosive/upsetting teams you realize that they are all very young.

IMO, what's happening right now is just the "return to normal"... i.e. Experience/leadership/team play/REAL PLAYOFFS SPIRIT/CONN SMYTHE PLAYWORTHY taking over. That's how Lou can stand tall in front of LA and Van can pound LA 7-2 after being close to danger zone... That's how Philly could put NJ in their backpocket. That's how Montreal (with it's x more playoffs games experience than Wash) can limit Washington to 1 goal, just when it matters.

It reminds me of an old boxer who concede round after round to the young wolf, just waiting for the young pulp to get a bit tired, lay down his guard, to then take over and knock him out!

Looking at the actual playoffs tree, I do not predict the following, but I wouldn't be surprised if the following happened (going for the "veteran" teams)

San Jose (Vets vets vets vs sophomores)

Montreal (Vets vs young vets)

Vancouver (Young vets vs mostly rookies)

Buffalo (Miller over rask)

Detroit (old wolves vs new to playoffs)

Pittsburgh (duh!)

Chicago vs Nashville - can't tell, similar make up

San Jose (Vets vets vets vs sophomores)

Montreal (Vets vs young vets)

Vancouver (Young vets vs mostly rookies)

Buffalo (Miller over rask)

Detroit (old wolves vs new to playoffs)

Pittsburgh (duh!)

Chicago vs Nashville - can't tell, similar make up

There's an obvious element of truth in there. And it's one of the major reasons (surely) Gainey plucked guys like Gomer, Gio, Moen and Gill from the FA pool. The question then becomes: how well can experience contain youth, and at what point does that vet experience get overwhelmed by the burgeoning experience of youthful exuberance? Yes, the Craps came out fast and furious, and, if not for a massive un-vet like breakdown in game two, would be facing elimination against the lowly Habs. But do those Montreal vets have what it takes to lower the boom for 120 more minutes, or is it 'too little too late?'

There's an obvious element of truth in there. And it's one of the major reasons (surely) Gainey plucked guys like Gomer, Gio, Moen and Gill from the FA pool. The question then becomes: how well can experience contain youth, and at what point does that vet experience get overwhelmed by the burgeoning experience of youthful exuberance? Yes, the Craps came out fast and furious, and, if not for a massive un-vet like breakdown in game two, would be facing elimination against the lowly Habs. But do those Montreal vets have what it takes to lower the boom for 120 more minutes, or is it 'too little too late?'

that's for sure. and ... at some point, why the heck didn't do it in game 2?!