2011 Offseason Thread

dlbalr

Isles acquire Brian Rolston for Trent Hunter. Let's see, help a division rival re-sign their top player while adding on $3 million in payroll who is 38 and arguably about as good as the guy they gave up. I know they'll have another trade soon but this one's a head scratcher. That's what they go and spend their cap space on?

Bah... What they need is vets that will help to develop their young guns and get to cap floor. Rolston fits just that. Just like Ryan Smyth in Edmonton.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bah... What they need is vets that will help to develop their young guns and get to cap floor. Rolston fits just that. Just like Ryan Smyth in Edmonton.

I agree in theory. But Brian 'I cleared waivers twice last season, once for 1/2 price' Rolston was the best of those guys available? And to be the lucky ones to get him, they actually have to trade a somewhat decent player on top of things? Honestly, they'd have been better off claiming him off re-entry and keeping last year Hunter - the cost would be less and they'd have more talent.

According to TSN two former Habs Sopel and (soon to be announced) Kovalev are going to the KHL. Both of them had a slight chance of returning to Montreal this year, I think (not that I expected either of them, but they might have been considered).

The Devils place Colin White and newly acquired Trent Hunter on buyout waivers. White has 1 year and $3 million left, Hunter has a pair of years left at $2 million. Seems as if NJ is already freeing up cap space (and real money) to re-sign Parise (again) next offseason.

The Devils place Colin White and newly acquired Trent Hunter on buyout waivers. White has 1 year and $3 million left, Hunter has a pair of years left at $2 million. Seems as if NJ is already freeing up cap space (and real money) to re-sign Parise (again) next offseason.

If they were freeing up money for next season, shouldn't they have let White play out his final year?

If they were freeing up money for next season, shouldn't they have let White play out his final year?

I meant more with the Hunter buyout with regards to the next year comment. White's buyout appears simply to be more for the real dollar savings as some of their current contracts are front loaded. When you have a cap spending team and can't draw flies, gotta think they'll start cutting back somewhere.

A mini update on the Islander voting situation. Nassau County was hoping for a 10% turnout, that seems unlikely reading what has happened. A strong afternoon put them hoping for 50,000-75,000 votes out of 900,000 voters, closer to 6-8%. Worst yet for Islander fans, they were apparently told they weren't allowed to vote while wearing a jersey or team cap as that can be construed as campaigning at the polls. Polls are closed now, we'll know the results soon enough.

Maybe Quebec or Hamilton will get a team in a few years time eh?

It would be sad too lose a team with history like the islanders have though... better a Florida or Nashville come up

Both Hunter and White clear waivers and are bought out, it'll be interesting to see where both re-surface as I think both will get new deals. Shea Weber's arbitration hearing was today as well; though I don't think he'll get enough to get the Preds to the floor (7+ million), he'll nearly put them there.

Both Hunter and White clear waivers and are bought out, it'll be interesting to see where both re-surface as I think both will get new deals. Shea Weber's arbitration hearing was today as well; though I don't think he'll get enough to get the Preds to the floor (7+ million), he'll nearly put them there.

They'll need a #7 defenseman anyway, so that additional signing should floor them.

So I was wrong, Weber did get 7+ as he gets a whopping $7.5 million award, the highest ever in arbitration. I like Weber, but even that's a little much for my liking.

Colin White's UFA days were short lived, he gets 1 year and $1 million with the Sharks.

Patrick Sharp signs a 5 year extension worth just under $6 million per year. Evidently the Hawks feel the cap will go up in perpetuity, that's simply nuts.

So I was wrong, Weber did get 7+ as he gets a whopping $7.5 million award, the highest ever in arbitration. I like Weber, but even that's a little much for my liking.

Colin White's UFA days were short lived, he gets 1 year and $1 million with the Sharks.

Patrick Sharp signs a 5 year extension worth just under $6 million per year. Evidently the Hawks feel the cap will go up in perpetuity, that's simply nuts.

The Hawks have $56.9m committed to 17 players next year, with only one RFA (Ben Smith, who won't be in line for a big raise). They're hardly painting themselves into a corner, since the rest of the positions left to fill are all depth ones. They're loaded, and will win the Cup again. And Sharp is worth $5.9m. I'd trade him for Cammalleri, no ifs ands or buts about it.

White gets the money he lost in the Devils buyout right back.

The Hawks have $56.9m committed to 17 players next year, with only one RFA (Ben Smith, who won't be in line for a big raise). They're hardly painting themselves into a corner, since the rest of the positions left to fill are all depth ones. They're loaded, and will win the Cup again. And Sharp is worth $5.9m. I'd trade him for Cammalleri, no ifs ands or buts about it.

I've said before, I expect the cap to drop next year so if it goes down by a few million (let's say to 60), they're looking at carrying 5-6 minimum salary players. That's not ideal; between that and all the NTC's, they could have some difficulty getting out of it if the cap does drop.

I've said before, I expect the cap to drop next year so if it goes down by a few million (let's say to 60), they're looking at carrying 5-6 minimum salary players. That's not ideal; between that and all the NTC's, they could have some difficulty getting out of it if the cap does drop.

We've never seen a drop in 7 years, let alone a $4.3m drop. Winnipeg should generate more revenue than Atlanta did, and the NHL now has a TV deal that they actually make money off of. Plus there's that whole 5% inflator thing the PA has.

Even if a new CBA is negotiated with less revenue going to the players, it likely wouldn't take effect until after the 2012-13 season. And even if there is smaller cap, I have to imagine that they'll make players take a paycut as well. Or else the buyout rules will be more cap friendly.

We've never seen a drop in 7 years, let alone a $4.3m drop. Winnipeg should generate more revenue than Atlanta did, and the NHL now has a TV deal that they actually make money off of. Plus there's that whole 5% inflator thing the PA has.

Even if a new CBA is negotiated with less revenue going to the players, it likely wouldn't take effect until after the 2012-13 season. And even if there is smaller cap, I have to imagine that they'll make players take a paycut as well. Or else the buyout rules will be more cap friendly.

I think we'll see a lesser percentage of revenues as well as the abolition of the 5% inflator which I think would offset the extra gains from the TV deal and Winnipeg. Just a hunch of mine; the cap nearly went down 2 years ago (the inflator pushed it up but barely), I think it can easily happen again.

Vancouver made an interesting move today, signing Owen Nolan (and Todd Fedoruk) to a tryout. I wonder if he has anything left in the tank.

Sabres are over the cap by $3,595,357.

I wonder if Brad Boyes is the odd man out?

He'd make the most sense financially, but I would think that they move a few less expensive, less valuable pieces before Boyes. He played fairly well during his stint after the STL deal (14 points in 21 games) and if I were managing the team, I'd want a better look before trading him from a position of weakness.

Funny, last year I would have laughed had anyone told me that Buffalo would be *over* the cap. :)

He'd make the most sense financially, but I would think that they move a few less expensive, less valuable pieces before Boyes. He played fairly well during his stint after the STL deal (14 points in 21 games) and if I were managing the team, I'd want a better look before trading him from a position of weakness.

Funny, last year I would have laughed had anyone told me that Buffalo would be *over* the cap. :)

Okay, banish Kotalik to the AHL.

Still need to cut $600 000 minimum so who do you move for a cheaper option? Hecht? Gaustad?

Okay, banish Kotalik to the AHL.

Still need to cut $600 000 minimum so who do you move for a cheaper option? Hecht? Gaustad?

Shaone Morrisonn is in my opinion the odd man out for sure. With Regehr and Ehrhoff joining incumbents Leopold, Weber, Sekera, and Myers, plus Marc-Andre Gragnani likely becoming a full timer, Morrisonn will be #8 on the depth chart and likely suiting up for the Rochester Americans as well...much to the chagrin of the Bulldogs. Cut his $2 mil, sign Gragnani for around 1 (possibly less as he comes off his entry-level deal) and there's your extra savings.

Shaone Morrisonn is in my opinion the odd man out for sure. With Regehr and Ehrhoff joining incumbents Leopold, Weber, Sekera, and Myers, plus Marc-Andre Gragnani likely becoming a full timer, Morrisonn will be #8 on the depth chart and likely suiting up for the Rochester Americans as well...much to the chagrin of the Bulldogs. Cut his $2 mil, sign Gragnani for around 1 (possibly less as he comes off his entry-level deal) and there's your extra savings.

You don't think he'd find work?

Heck, I may want him on the Habs.

You don't think he'd find work?

Heck, I may want him on the Habs.

He's a 3rd pairing guy at this stage. I'm not sure teams are lining up for a $2 million 3rd pairing D at this time. Depends on how the market shakes out I guess, if guys like McCabe/Hannan keep overpricing themselves, then maybe someone turns to him as a Plan B.

I had heard Roy might not be ready for the season's start. But judging by his chirping with Paul Bisonnette on Twitter the other day, his mouth is ready.

Yeah, Kotalik has already been banished to the AHL before, so I expect that to happen. And I've also heard like Brian that Mmoorriissoonn is the odd man out on D.