Brule is overrated

eukinfindme

I have been saying for years that everyone in Montreal has the Saku Syndrome. For some reason fans love this guy? I give it to him that Saku has heart and likes to work the corners, but this is also the very reason that a toothpick player like Koivu spends months on end on the injury list.

After seeing Kovalev dominate, I really think Habs fans otta re-evaluate what greatness is. Afterall most of us were not around to see the likes of Guy Lafleur, etc.... so we have basically been Sniper-Deprived for the past 25 years. = Hence the Saku syndrome. Like being on a deserted island and being handed a cracker, mmmmm mmmm that cracker would taset damn good! but living at home the crackers stay in the closet.

I am not sure exactly what the reason is that Saku stays here, my guess is that other GM's have never even shown any interest in him therefore his stock is useless.

I give Saku a solid second line center rating. We (Habs fans) have been so deprived of any dominant talent over the past deacdes (with the exceptions of goaltending) that we have become obvlivious to what it is talent represents.

My fear with Brule is that he is simply another Koivu. a small pipsqueek with a mean streak big F'n Deal!!!!! Get a power forward for crying out loud, someone who can brutally kill and scare opposing defenders, someone who's hands are so sweet (like Kovalev) that they can create chances by sucking in 2 defenders.

I don;t know enough about this Pouliot fellow but he certainly has the size to fit this type of mold. and if not ANze Koper how about that MONSTER every one is talking about ranked for some reason at 13th = Martin Hanzal.......

We have already had small fast skaters on the habs for years - Koivu, Bure, Petrov, Ribeiro, Begin, Brunet, Bureau (to name a few) = who all have the same billing as Brule - they "play" with a lot more than their frame suggests. AAAARRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH! shut up already!!!

Crosby could (and i say could not would) conceivably be the exception to the rule. But for every Peca, how many more Big Guys make more of an impact????? 20-1 maybe, even more perhaps.? why does MOntreal continuously play with those stats?

Bob - please go out and pick up a big power forward! Someone who can COMPLIMENT KOVALEV not Koivu! I am sick of building our first line around Koivu.

I live now in Toronto, and have to endure the disgusting thing that is the Maple Leafs and their fans - but at least when I watch a Maple Leafs game I can see the domination that Mats Sundin shows when he turns up the power. Koivu can't do this - and Montreal desevres at least one dominant player. I hate the Leafs, but what I hate more is that Montreal "super forward" wouldn;t even be worthy of the second line in Toronto.

:hlogo::ghg:

I'm pretending i never heard you say that. Koivu is an awesome player, check his stats!

He doesn't lay the body, but hes a skilled playmaker.

I have read alot of things about Brule, and he seems like a great player. Almost everything i've read about him all mentions that he hits HARD.

Pouliot is a bigger player, but he does not use the body at all.

I like what i have read about Brule.

Originally posted by ap79  

I'll take Saku Koivu Syndrom over Terry Ryan Syndrome any day...

Agreed - but we are not talking about Terry Ryan now are we.

For fun I will list the 20 most dominant forwards IMO over the past deacde or so (in no particular order).

1- Mario Lemieux

2- Peter Forsberg

3- Mats Sundin

4- Mike Modano

5- Brett Hull

6- Keith Tkachuck

7- Jaromir Jagr

8- Alex Kovalev

9- Jerome Iginla

10- Jeremy Roenick

11- Joe Sakic

12- Markus Naslund

13- Brendan Shanahan

14- Joe Niewendyk

15- Steve Yzerman

16- Eric Lindros

17- Pavel Bure

18- Mark Messier

19- Owen Nolan

20- Alexander Mogilny

Again this is in my Opinion. Sure there have been better players at times, and there are some new guys like Nash, but I am talking about general Team stars who can turn a game a round quickly. I certainly don;t see Saku on this list - and I don;t even qualify Theo Fleury, Michael Peca, or Martin St. Louis.

Because small players Suck..! period. They have a couple of good games, but generally they are always injured and really make no contribution.

If you don;t believe me answer yourself the following.

Tampa Bay - you have to choose 2 players.

1- Vinny Lecavalier (yes)

2- Brad Richards (yes)

3- Martin St. Louis (Hart trophy winner, but NO)

Case in point.

Let me ask you this:

Did you watch the last playoffs?

Did you see how much better the team was when Koivu had someone to play with?

Koivu has played on the first line with Bulis! Freaking Bulis. The guy has never had a chance to play with anyone decent before. Kovalev for a few games......

He is the most underated player I have ever heard of. If he had linemates like the Habs had "in the day" He would make your top 10.

In fact, I'm going to start calling him "The Rocket Jr"

The toronto atmosphere is making you crazy.

:monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey::monkey:

Originally posted by Prime Minister Koivu

PS

You missed some incredible players on your list.......

How about Wayne Gretzky for one?

Most of your guys would not make the top 50 of all time

he must be too small to make his list? :lol:

This is my freakin point!!!!!!! SAKU Syndrome is in full effect with you. Do you see Kovalev asking to have better players around him??? NO! because anyone he plays with (much like the list of 20 i wrote) becomes great themselves.

Leaders make other players around them good. Super stars make players around them amazing - Because you have to ask to have Koivu play with Kovalev to show his talent is an example in futility.

If ryder had played with kovelev then he would have had more goals.. catch my drift...

Originally posted by eukinfindme

This is my freakin point!!!!!!! SAKU Syndrome is in full effect with you. Do you see Kovalev asking to have better players around him??? NO! because anyone he plays with (much like the list of 20 i wrote) becomes great themselves.

Leaders make other players around them good. Super stars make players around them amazing - Because you have to ask to have Koivu play with Kovalev to show his talent is an example in futility.

If ryder had played with kovelev then he would have had more goals.. catch my drift...

And what exactly did Kovalev do in New York?

:puke:

Originally posted by Prime Minister Koivu

In fact, I'm going to start calling him "The Rocket Jr"

A more appropriate title would be "Pocket Rocket the Second". Both of these guys are small and, like Henry Richard, Koivu plays with heart, spunk and fearlessness. One of the differences between them is that Henry Richard was surrounded by better talent (Maurice, Boom Boom, Beliveau, Cournoyer, etc.) and this allowed him to partake of the champagne 11 times.

Aside from that, both are from the same mold.

Nevertheless, I agree with the author of this 'discussion' that we need a sniper and there's no one obvious on the horizon. The last one we had was Richer and he didn't have long-term success (likely due to little support by his team mates).

Ofcourse Wayne is on the all time list - I am just saying that in the past 10 years Wayne was not the top dog he was from 1979 onwards.

Tkachuck did have some unreal seasons - but yes he is overpaid.

My point with the SAKU Syndrome, is that us Habs fans don;t even know anymore what it is to have a dominant player. SAKU has not dominated any one season. He has had games where he has shown skill - but outside that he is a great second line center. The only reason he is on the first line in Montreal is because of our futile offense. He has had every chnace to play with new combinations and players - and every single one is the same thing and same outcome - ahhh not bad, but nothing spectacular.

He is like Mats Naslund of the 80's. fun and zippy - but out of my list of 20 I would take every single one of them in their prime before KOIVU. for that matter I challenge you to pick a team with their top dog forward in their prime (regardless of stats) that is not as good as KOIVU. In other words, Koivu is the 30th ranked "best forward" on any NHL club in the past 10 years (maybe Nashville and Phoenix is worse but thats it)

Lets go through the teams:

1 Pittsburgh - Lemieux

2 Anaheim - Selanne - Kariya

3 Carolina - Francis

4 Minnesota - Gaborik

5 Montreal - Koivu

6 Columbus - Nash

7 Chicago - Amonte

8 Atlanta - Kovalchuk

9 Ottawa - Alfreddson- Hossa

10 Vancouver - Naslund- Bertuzzi

11 Los Angeles - Palfy

12 San Jose - Nolan

13 Buffalo - Zhitnik

14 Washington - Jagr

15 NY Islanders - Yashin

16 NY Rangers - Messier - Bure - Lindros

17 Phoenix -

18 Nashville -

19 Detroit - Yzerman

20 Philadelphia - Lindros - Leclair

21 Toronto - Sundin - Mogilny

22 Boston - Thornton - Murray

23 New Jersey - Eliash

24 St. Louis - Tkachuck

25 Edmonton - Smyth

26 Calgary - Iginla

27 Colorado - Sakic - Forsberg

28 Dallas - Modano - Hull

29 Florida -

30 Tampa Bay - Lecavalier - Richards

I understand your point. But I think you are pointing in the wrong direction.

The Habs do need a power forward or a sniper. They haven't had one in a long, long time.

Is Saku the best to hit the ice in ten years? Of course not. He is however underated.

This team has piled the world on his shoulders with very little support.

Do the Habs want more.....YES. Will they get it....YES. Will Saku be part of it...YES.

He, Crosby is 5-11, 180-ish lbs... I guess you wouldnt draft him if you were Pittsburgh because, well, small players SUCK! Right?  

you are just an idiot, and a shit disturber at the Habs forum. Why don;t you drop your gay BlackHawks team jersey from your handle and leave.

Crosby is an exception to any rule. and since you offer no rebuddle to any statement with one of your own - I dismiss any comment you have.

-------------

<b>BANNED! - So... Who's the idiot now?</b>

[Edited on 2005-7-26 by puck7x]