since khabibulin signed with the hawks

TB knew they were going to lose Khabi to FA, that's why these rumors started in the first place. Even with Grahme as their only goalie, TB would be stupid to make this trade. Yes, Theo is my favorite habs and a Vezina winner, but Vinny and Pavel are both All-Stars. Ribs? The guy hasn't proven anything yet people.

And if we made this trade, who's our goalie? Buffalo reject Martyin Biron? Cujo? Burke? Come on.

No way, Montreal won't trade Theo unless we get a starter back in return.

Plus, Montreal is now sitting with 8 defenseman... I highly doubt we'd trade for Kubina.

Boy, that's a kick in the crotch for Tampa Bay.

As to the Théodore trade, I'm pretty confident that we can forget that. It wouldn't be in the best interests of the Canadiens to do that and Gainey wouldn't shoot himself in the foot that way. He's got a starting goalie who is considered among the best in the league, he'll keep him.

theres no way gainey will make that deal first of all if we trade theo who will start in net for us danis, price ,huet

danis and price are not ready to take the starter roll and huet is injured and i dont think hes a number 1 goalie ,sure we would have a good offensive team and a good denfensive team but goaltending wins you cups ,just ask tampa last year

if lecavalier is traded it will be for a defenseman(have no idea which one), prospects, and/or picks. I dont think ribeiro's rep is as good in other markets as it is in le journal de montreal.

Trading Theo and ribs? Why dont we just trade patrick roy and mike keane for a small guy and a B+ goaltender?

We just got swept by tampa bay last year and now you want to restock their goalie pool?

Originally posted by Macaskill

Plus, Montreal is now sitting with 8 defenseman... I highly doubt we'd trade for Kubina.

Yeah, but Kubina is a better overall defenseman than anyone we have, with the possible exception of Souray. Getting him and Vinny would be amazing for the Habs, but not at the price of Jose Theodore.

As for not having cap space, if Vinny wants to come, there will be room for him. As of right now, it is estimated the Habs payroll this season is around 35-36 million. That leaves 3-4 million to sign Vinny. In addition, if he comes, Bonk, Koivu, or Ribs is gone, freeing up a minimum of 1.5 million.

I think Bob hasn't done anything spectacular in the UFA pool this year. I think he has to take a chance on Vinny this year.

Taking the wait next year approach isn't good.

1. If he doesn't demonstrate to Vinny that he wants him in MTL now, Lecavalier could sign long term in Tampa Bay.

2. Most people can aknowledge that Vinny has been mostly inconsistent in his carreer. But he was name the World Cup MVP, and detroyed us in last year playoffs. The only thing that 'waiting one more year' would do is get his price higher.

3. Trading for him now wouldn't cost Theo IMO. Feaster is in a difficult situation. Taking less than Vinny's value this year or loosing him for nothing next year. Look at what LA gave for Roenick (ok not the same situation, but still PHI had to add a 3rd pick just so LA would take him !). We will start to see this kind of situation more and more often, like in the NBA.

All this to say : if Bob can get Vinny for a decent package it will start a new era in Montreal. At least he has to try !!!

:bow:

During all this talk about Lecav, I think many of you are completely missing the point. Next year he's going to be UFA and unless T-Bay signs him long-term, there's every chance he's going to test the market and find somewhere else to play. For once it's not the Canadiens hamstrung by their players, it's another team. T-Bay is under the gun and therefore will have to accept *less* in any potential trade talk. Gainey would surely love to have Lecav, but it isn't a necessity, while T-Bay *must* make some kind of decision - be it contract or getting something, ANYTHING, for him at all.

I find it highly improbably that Theo would be part of any deal in this situation. In fact, one of the things I heard, and I think I wrote this elsewhere, is that Price was drafted because T-Bay asked them to do just that to be part of a potential trade for Lecav. I think Ribs and Hainsey (I've heard his name associated with this deal a lot) are far more likely to be packaged in a trade than Ribs and Theo.

Now, I'm not going to speculate on who might actually be included in a trade, however I will say this: T-Bay will probably get less for Lecav than they would have hoped because of the inherently bad situation in which they find themselves. I suspect it's far more likely that Biron, the name of the other goalie most associated with these talks, will actually be going to T-Bay and not Montreal. Perhaps a wait-and-see approach to who Tampa pulls in as netminder is the first step in all this dialogue.

For instance, if T-Bay somehow ropes Cujo in for a fairly elevated price, signing St.Louis and Lecav both is going to impact their salary structure very significantly. BUT, and this is critical, to defend a Cup, you *need* a goalie of significant calibre. Biron won't fit the bill. Look for the Bolts to find a serious goalie in the next day or so and then revisit the Lecav issue when their salary structure is more certain.

There are a few blocks that seem to be lining up, ready to tumble, in the next couple of days.

A) Tampa addresses the goalie issue.

B) Lecav issue dealt with

C) Impact on the Lecav deal or non-deal

Da) If deal, then Montreal will probably be virtually finished except for signing RFA's.

Db) If no deal, there are significant rumours that Montreal is in the mix for both Selanne (Sax apparently went to Gainey to ASK him to look at Selanne) and Kariya (rumoured to be told by Habs management to wait until Lecav situation was resolved) will potentially be in the mix as a package deal, much like their package with Colorado.

We've had our two "impact" UFA signings, now it's all about tinkering to see how best to improve the club for the season. Don't rule out a grab for a defender either, in all of this. I doubt Gainey is completely satisfied with what he has on the back end, so far.

Colin

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

Hey TheBerge, why is there a Panthers logo behind Al Montoya in your sig?

Because he is on my roster in my Fantasy League !

Like Latendresse ! :clap:

Drafted him before the habs did !

id be fine with ribs/hainsey for lecavalier... perhaps tampa would be if they cant get him signed.

I dont think montreal burns a 5th pick for a potential trade, only if the deal were done would they do that.

go to control panel->edit profile and change your country.