Habs Prospects Training Camp Report

Habby1197

team.jpg

July 3 (sakiqc) Almost all players drafted in 2003 were among the 22 players present at the training camp in the Martin Lapointe arena in Rosemere. Andrei Kastsitsyn wasn't at the training camp. The 2003 first round pick had a problem with his visa and could not be at the camp at this time. The Montreal junior Rocket team is well represented with 4 players at the Habs training camp. It is 3rd straight Rookie Camp for goalie Michaud, who was brillant when he played a period in the NHL two years ago.

Players were practicing today with skills competition, 1 vs 1, skating and working with their feet. Habs GM, Gainey was not there. Andre Savard was attending the practice, following the players he drafted.

Charron was working with the young players, even if he has not been confirmed by Gainey in his position yet.

Pictures of the camp (courtesy of puck)

Andre Savard at the camp

Charron on the ice

Ferland talking to RDS (Edit : Thats actually Urquhart AGAIN , I mislabelled the pic. lol)

Lapierre skating hard

OHL superstar, Locke

Skate session

Fast skating

1 of the 4 Rockets players, Urquhart

Urquhart is playing for the white team (like if anyone cares lol)

More of Urquhart.. dunno, maybe there is a big fan of him here

[Edited on 2003-7-7 by puck7x]

hmmm oops? I tried to merge habby's thread (about going to rookie camp) with sakiqc's report thread , but somehow it came out wrong and now shows Habby as the author of Sakiqc's post ....

Anyways ,

So habby how was the camp? Any thoughts for us? Who were the most impressive players (outside of the ones you mentioned) ? And the least impressive? ...

How did Archer do? And Korneev?

The 2003 first round pick had a problem with his visa and could not be at the camp at this time.

Funny, I heard Kastitsyn refused to come over until he was signed... and that's why he wasn't coming.

Problems signing Perezhogin too, always complications with euro players... it's getting old.

- translated from today's La Presse:

Mathias Brunet  

Trevor Timmins, the person in charge of scouting for the Canadiens, had a heart palpitation yesterday afternoon at the first day of development camp.  

Timmins would have liked to have seen Andrei Kastsitsyn, his first choice, working out, but a contractual dead end thwarted those plans. Kastsitsyn is already at camp with his professional team in Moscow, coached by the famous Viktor Thikonov, and everything indicates that he will not come to North America before next season.  

Another of the Canadiens best prospects, Alexander Perezhogin, a first round choice in 2001, doesn't seem to be in a hurry to accept an offer from the Tricolore either.  

"I've explained their decision badly, confided Timmins yesterday. They have a chance to launch their careers, the team has made generous offers to them, we're talking around a million dollars, and they're letting the opportunity slide. Kastsitsyn, I believe is ready to make the jump to the NHL this season."  

The assistant general manager of the Canadiens, Andre Savard, hasn't lost hope of seeing Perezhogin in camp in September. "Don Meehan, his agent, communicates regularly with Perezhogin's family these days. We offered a very respectable arrangement to them in my opinion. In any event, we still have time to sign him to a contract. There is a first date limit of July 15, then another of August 15, when we must pay financial compensation of $100,000 to the Russian Hockey Federation."  

In spite of the absence of Kastsitsyn and Perezhogin, there was beautiful talent at work on the rink yesterday at Martin Lapointe arena. Among them, four players who are beginning their professional careers: Chris Higgins, Duncan Milroy, Jonathan Ferland and defenseman Andrew Archer.  

Of the group, Higgins is undoubtedly closest to NHL calibre. He will get all the opportunities to earn a position with the team.  

"He played center with Yale and with the American junior national team, but I see him on left wing with us, said Savard. He's a keen worker who has a soft touch around the net and a powerful shot. I see him on the left side rather than at center because he is not the most creative player with the puck despite all his other skills."

"Higgins does not have the most imposing size at 5 feet 11 inches and 193 pounds, but he doesn't back down from anyone. He plays as if he were 6 foot 4, Timmins notes. His size isn't a handicap on left wing. Daniel Alfredsson is not the most imposing winger physically and he doesn't do too badly with the Senators..."  

Higgins will have a great chance to earn a place on the Canadiens since Jan Bulis and Marcel Hossa are the only offensive left wingers on the first three lines.  

"Left wing or center, that doesn't matter, said Higgins yesterday after practice. I've played these two positions all my life."

Higgins was one of the best players of the American junior national team at the last two World Championships.  

André Savard will also have an eye on Jonathan Ferland this week. Ferland was an obscure seventh round choice in 2002, but he's progressed at a remarkable rate since the draft. Savard spoke about him as the great surprise at camp last year. He continued his development this winter with 45 goals in only 68 games for Acadie-Bathurst. He measures 6 feet 2 inches, weighs 210 pounds and loves physical play, which is worth its weight in gold for the Canadiens.  

"He must improve his acceleration, but that isn't a major handicap, notes Savard. I like his intensity. He has good hands and plays intelligently. He wasn't in our plans last year and we invited him to the main camp because he impressed us so much."

Ferland, 20 years old, is eager for camp "It's an important year for me. I already feel better prepared psychologically and physically than last year, even if things went well for me in my first camp. The timing seems right since there are openings in Hamilton. I don't want to aim too high too fast. I want to win a place in the American League this season and if the future holds a nice surprise for me, so much the better. I had no expectations last year and I was invited to the camp at Vail. My strength is my physical style of play but I can also score goals. I proved that in my last two junior seasons."  

Duncan Milroy and Andrew Archer should find themselves in Hamilton for the upcoming season. Milroy, a marksman chosen in the second round of 2001, has progressed less quickly than expected. Archer, a giant defenseman of 6 feet 4 inches, 215 pounds, will undoubtedly need a year or two of seasoning in the American League before aspiring to an NHL career.  

Higgins at LW... well that changes a lot of our "future lineups" we've been taking about.

Now wonder the Habs took 2 more centres in the 2nd round... and this is good news for even Ribeiro, although I still doubt he'll stick.

This year:

Bulis-Koivu-Audette

Higgins-Ribeiro/Perreault-Zednik

Hossa-Juneau-Ward

Dwyer-Kilger-Ryder

Future lineup:

Kastitsyn-Koivu-Ferland

Higgins-Urquhart-Perezhogin

Bulis-Lapierre-Ward

Bonneau-Kilger-Ryder

Zednik will be traded because of salary dispute.

Hossa will also be dealt.

If Ferland, Urquhart & Lapierre pan out... big if I know, just having fun here.

I like this lineup:

- good size/grit players with Ferland/Ward.

- Higgins/Perezhogin/Lapierre aren't big but are known for playing big...

- Urquhart is on the soft side but has good size

- Bulis is solid all around

If Ferland does not pan out... we have Zednik as plan B.

If one of the centres doesn't pan out we have Hossa who could play there, and ahem Ribeiro. And there are always trades of course. :)

I wish I could fast-forward 3-4 years.

You probably got that article from HFboards or something , but you should give credit where credit is due (If I went to the trouble of translating an article I'd want my credit if someone posted it on another board) ... "mr bozo" (of a board which will remain un-named) did the translation and some guy ripped him off and posted it on other boards ... Its too bad that not ALL LaPresse articles are available online...

As for Higgins , hey maybe him playing LW means the habs are interested in acquiring a top notch centre? Fedorov anyone? I like to dream...

It doesnt surprise me , the habs are known for switching centres to the Wings... And on the plus side it gives us more LW depth.

[Edited on 2003-7-4 by puck7x]

Originally posted by puck7x

but you should give credit where credit is due

LMAO... funniest thing I've heard in a while.

Gotta give "credit" for translations now? hehe

Only person who deserves "credit" is Brunet, and he got it... gimme a break. :wall:

Hey I want credit waking up this morning... how do I go about arranging that? :lol:

And about Higgins being LW.

Kastitsyn & Bulis are LW locks in my book, add Higgins and Hossa is on the outside looking in. Hossa was also rumored to have been offered for the #1 pick this year... the writting is on the wall as they say.

P.S. This is MY opinion. If you bring up this point on another board or even in a conversation with a buddy while having a few drinks at a local bar you will give me my credit during the conversation.

This was a public service announcement for the "Give Credit" Association. Thank you. ;)

[Edited on 4-7-03 by Habs77]

Yes you do need to give credit for translations , especially ones on articles which were taken from newspapers and not available online , it probably took the guy 10-20 minutes to translate the thing and put it on the web , you didnt do the work ... he did ... I'm sure you could of done the same thing , or a better job , but you DIDNT , he did.

I'm not sure what you dont understand.

And M.Brunet is getting credit , his name is on the article , we all know he wrote it. I really dont know what you problem is with this thing... anyways I sort of understand where your coming from , the translated article wasnt copyrighted or anything , so you have the full right to post it here ... I guess I'm just a "nice guy" who wants to give everyone their due.

July 7th

Theodore joined the rookies at the Prospect training camp. The goalie who's coming from a difficult after-Hart season is showing will to come back stronger this year. The young goalie, who is playing at an high level when he is facing adversity, has to deal with the Theodore-mafia matter. Theodore didn't lost his popularity as all young fans attending the camp at the Martin Lapointe arena cheered at him.

mr bozo" (of a board which will remain un-named

a certain board that sounds like a toy store but with the Habs name maybe???? Where there are many good posters?

I should make an account there, I like reading their stuff.

EDIT: LOL I already do have an account, man Im a dumbass, I forgot I made one :/):/):clap::clap::guru::D

[Edited on 2003/7/8 by Habsaku]