Olivier Michaud

BTH

Why does everyone speak of Danis and Halak when we have Olivier Michaud? Isn't it listed ahead of Halak, atleast?

He was the goalie for Team Canada at the WJC and did a hell of a job a couple years ago. Halak was drafted in the 9th round and a few years later then Michaud, who was once considered our top goalie prospect (with Theodore and Garon on the Habs).

I always wonder what happened to Michaud when people start talking about all our goalies and list 5 without saying his name.

There's also Vadim Tarasov but as far as I know he won't make the NHL, atleast for awhile, and not with the Habs.

.the oilers will probably send drouin-deslauriers to hamilton and he should get the no1 seed

as for michaud, he will fight with halak for t he no2 but I think halak is a better goalie

michaud asn't sign a new contract yet

so I guess gainey will wait until training camp to what he's made of

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

Why does everyone speak of Danis and Halak when we have Olivier Michaud? Isn't it listed ahead of Halak, atleast?

He was the goalie for Team Canada at the WJC and did a hell of a job a couple years ago. Halak was drafted in the 9th round and a few years later then Michaud, who was once considered our top goalie prospect (with Theodore and Garon on the Habs).

I always wonder what happened to Michaud when people start talking about all our goalies and list 5 without saying his name.

There's also Vadim Tarasov but as far as I know he won't make the NHL, atleast for awhile, and not with the Habs.

Michaud was never the goalie for Team Canada at the wjc's. He was the backup goalie as an 18 year old and wasn't even invited to the final camp as a 19 year old. Michaud to me was never considered a top goalie prospect after Garon. I was a huge fan of Tarasov so I'd have him over Michaud easily.

Michaud fell into the starting job in Long Beach this year after the teams starting goalie (and likely the leagues top goalie) Chris Madden was loaned to the bruins AHL team. (he just signed with NYI this summer) But Michaud couldn't keep the job as his team fell from 1st to 3rd in the division and there was concern of not making the playoffs, which would be a major gaff considering at one point in the season Long Beach was 3rd overall in the league.

Tough to say what will happen with him, but it apears this is his last year to really show what he can do. With the injury to Huet, the doors are open for someone to step it. I have little faith that Michaud can be a regular in the AHL but we'll have to see if he can prove me wrong, I hope he does, seems like a great kid. (people I know that know him personally speak very highly of him) I do think it will be a battle between Michaud and Halak for a spot in Hamilton to start the year, assuming Danis is in Hamilton for a 8 or so weeks.

I just want to add that I think Heino-Lindberg is even better then Halak and Michaud and was really hoping to see him come over this year.

As for Tarasov we lost his rights but he has not returned to the form he had before coming to Quebec. In the RSL he has been good and even was the backup on the National team but at point he was considered one of the top goalies in the RSL.

Oh. I don't really care much about anyone besides Danis and whoever starts in Hamilton. The rest have little to no chance of making it.

About the WJC. I'm pretty sure Michaud represented Canada for <b>something</b> but I have no idea what it was.

I never even heard of Chris Madden but I remember watching Hamilton dominate the AHL and then drop by a lot. They had maybe a 20 point league on second place and then I saw teams ahead of them.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

Oh. I don't really care much about anyone besides Danis and whoever starts in Hamilton. The rest have little to no chance of making it.

About the WJC. I'm pretty sure Michaud represented Canada for <b>something</b> but I have no idea what it was.

I never even heard of Chris Madden but I remember watching Hamilton dominate the AHL and then drop by a lot. They had maybe a 20 point league on second place and then I saw teams ahead of them.

Michaud did play for Canada at the WJC's, but was the backup. The next year he didn't make the team, not a good sign when you are a returning player (even though he didn't play much at all).

Oh, well, back-up is still good. But I always thought he was a top-notch goaltending prospect. We're still laoded though.

Oliver Michaud hasn't shown any consistency in his career and therefore has dropped off the Habs prospect radar screen. When you get sent to the Long Beach Ice Dogs, one of two things happen. YOu turn your game around like Michael Ryder, or you find a different career. In a few short months we'll see which path Michaud is on

• 2 weeks later...

He played well enough in camp to earn a contract. He played a flawless period of relief shortly after turning 18. That season he was the star of the QMJHL and won a spot on the WJC team.

All that BEFORE Roland Melanson started to coach him. Once that process began, it has been straight downhill for Michaud. His performance in the Q deteriorated, he was left off the WJC team the following season, he couldn't hold a spot in the AHL, then even lost his spot in the ECHL. Four years after such a promising start, Michaud may be out of the game, and he won't turn 22 for another week or so.

:(