P.J. Stock retired?

bombTHEice

Just read this one on Canadiens.com:

Former Canadiens tough guy P.J. Stock stopped by training camp on Thursday and got the chance to yuck it up with some of his former mates. The West Island native was all smiles despite retiring this summer due to an eye injury he suffered in 2003-04 while with the Flyers’ AHL affiliate in Philadelphia.

“The doctors told me that I couldn’t play anymore since I had a little double vision whenever I looked up,” explained the 30-year-old, who played 20 games with Montreal in 2000-01. “I said, ‘What’s the big deal, then? I never look up, anyways!’”

Stock was clearly a favorite in the Canadiens dressing room despite his short stint with the team, as the likes of both Koivu and Rivet hurried over to see their old comrade. Stock’s ties to the Canadiens training camp didn’t end with his former Montreal teammates, either; he also played with auditioning enforcer Vandermeer while the pair were with the AHL’s Philadelphia Phantoms.

“Pete’s an awesome guy, a real character,” said Stock. “Hopefully things will work out for him here in Montreal and you all will get to know him for yourselves.”

Vandermeer is one of several heavyweights in camp this year, along with Bonneau, Paul, and Ivanans. All are aiming for the enforcer role left open by the departure of Darren Langdon.

“He’s a pretty good hockey player,” Stock said of Vandermeer. “He’s good wheels and Pete brings a lot more to the rink than his fists. Don’t get me wrong, he’s tough as nails. Don’t let that smile of his fool you, either. Trust me, once he pulls those teeth out, he means business.”

It seems like we won't see him in the NHL anymore.

[Edited on 16-9-05 by HABS Fan Nr.1]