Shoot-out Question

TheMaxDaddy

Does anyone know if the goals scored during a shoot-out will count towards a players goal scoring stats? I'm envisioning the Bruins tying 30 odd games again and Samsonov scoring 15-20 goals just in the ensuing shoot-outs.

I assume that the goals will not count against the goalies GAA, so I'm guessing the goals won't pad a players stats either.

But what about the guy that puts in the winner, surely that will be a game winning goal.

Anybody know if the league has come up with a plan for this?

:?- :?- :?- :?- :?-

- tmd

That's a good question and I have no clue.

On the one hand, it would seem to be acceptable because a goal is a goal.

I can also see reasons for it not counting.

- it's not part of the regular play.

- it would advantage the ones chosen regularly only

- would it also count against a goalie's goals allowed stats

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I was about to open a topic about this subject until I saw this.

It would screw up GAA and Save %, the winner of the Art Ross and the Rocket Richard Trophies will be disputable.

Say, St Louis has 90 points and Iginla has 85 points. BUT St Louis has 12 shootout goals while Iginla has 22. Iginla has scored more points than St Louis in the regular season.

I think it would give the scorer a GWG. It should. He won the game with a goal so that's a GWG if I ever saw one.

They should treat it under a new stat column for shootout goals cause that's what they are. This way these goals would not be "overlooked" nor would they be equated to regualr play goals, which they are not. Anything else would distort the stats.