Pre-Season Game Thread | Toronto vs. Montreal | 9/24/05

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it werent for Racine it would have been 6-2. The Habs dominated the third period but he stopped us every time.

Beautiful shot by Kovalev in the shoot out. No chance for Racine, there.

I'd drop Dandenault from the PP...

But other than that i had a hard time finding tons of flaws tonight.

Bonk is great. Kovalev's shot still has my heart pumping faster and Theodore shut the door.

Looking good in my book.

And oh the youth... How refreshing!

This may not fly with some, but these would be my 13 forwards at the start of the season:

Koivu, Kovalev, Zednik, Ryder, Ribeiro, Bonk, Bulis, Begin, Plekanec, Higgins, Hossa, Perezhogin, Sundstrom

Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev

Perezhogin/Higgins - Ribeiro - Ryder

Bulis - Bonk - Hossa

Perezhogin/Higgins - Begin - Plekanec

X: Sundstrom

[Edited on 2005/9/25 by Leafs Suck]

Originally posted by Brett38

I'll accept giving up on Dagenais even though I kind of like him!!!

IMO he's lost his job. This team has so many great young players. Chipchura had a decent game, I love what he brings to the table.

Komisarek is the guy who impressed me the most. This kid is a perfect defenseman IMO.

This team has the best scouting in the league the last 5 years. Name me another organzation over the last 5 years who's had better prospects?

Hossa, Hainsey, Komisarek, Perezhogin, Higgins, Kostsitsyn, Streit, Chipchura, Price, Latendresse, Plekanec, Locke

I was watching Bonk the whole time and whenever he touched the puck something happened. You dont normally find such offensive power in your third line center. I saw some defence as well. Which is his new job.

Random: Crosby scored his first goal against Ottawa tonight.

...and I noticed Komisarek laid out some solid body checks. A good game for him. Nice to see his playoffs werent a fluke.

and I thought Bonk was one of our top forwards on the PP tonight. Souray played well, too. But Bonk really surprised me offensively.

Really a great game for the Habs.

[Edited on 2005/9/25 by Bulis_the_Habbie]

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

This may not fly with some, but these would be my 13 forwards at the start of the season:

Koivu, Kovalev, Zednik, Ryder, Ribeiro, Bonk, Bulis, Begin, Plekanec, Higgins, Hossa, Perezhogin, Sundstrom

Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev

Perezhogin/Higgins - Ribeiro - Ryder

Bulis - Bonk - Hossa

Perezhogin/Higgins - Begin - Plekanec

X: Sundstrom

That looks good. :/)

Dagenais is a scorer, but doesn't bring much more. I like the idea of Perezhogin or another young guy on 2nd line LW.

I'm one of the few who like Sundstrom. He's a GREAT 13th forward to have in case of injury or a slump from a rookie.

He was probably just not in the line-up. Like Ribeiro and Ryder. Its pre-season. Sundin wasnt p^laying either if you havent noticed.

Okay, let's talk turkey here:

Ignoring the goofy homerism of the three start quelques choisit par l'equipe RDS, I think that there were some really good things tonight.

First: Sax, Kovie, Zed. When they get legs and a few more games? Look out. Sax with open ice is going to be über-dangerous.

Next: Hossa? He's in unless he loses a leg. Furthermore, despite the fact that he looked good on a line with Bonkers and Sunny, I think the latter should be taken out. I'll take Bulis over Sunny everyday and that makes one heckuva third line as far as I can see. Bonk has been WELL taught in Ott.

Higgins: Can't see him being sent down. He has two-way sense and a good eye for the game. He'll probably be 4th line fodder to start, but I can see him working his way up this year for spot duty on other lines.

Plekanec: If he doesn't make the team, I may just eat my own arm. He's a sparkplug, a smart guy, and he just goes and goes and goes. From the first game I ever saw him play at a rookie tourney many moons ago, I thought this guy had it. Same work ethic as Koivu, and while he doesn't have the same skills, he's still a keeper.

Perezhogin: Again, he should make the club - and Dags should be mighty worried. He's got a lot of poise and even more smarts in the offensive zone, and even better is that you can tell he trained under Jarvis - he knows where his own zone is.

Cote: With the game opening up, there's no chance he'll even be a call up this year, I imagine. He's got a lot of work to do.

Ferland: I like his spunk, but he didn't play much, and when he did it wasn't particularly amazing. THough he did wallop Lindros. Good man.

Streit: I didn't notice him all that much, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. No glaring errors, but nothing spectacular on the offensive side either. I would suggest he's the number 7 D-man.

Chipchura: Nothing much to say since he didn't play that much. He does get involved, though, which is nice.

Hainsey: To me? A disappointment. He was caught out of position FAR too often and while he tried to make plays, I think his brain is just way too slow for the NHL game at this point. I would honestly not like to see him in Montreal. I find him mistake prone (a la Breezer in his worst years) and even when he tries to be proactive in his defence, the timing is inevitably horrid.

Komi: Not a rookie, but I wanted to comment. First game after losing a lot of weight from being sick... started slow, but as the game wore on he got better and better and his timing in hits got particularly good. Oldtimers can harken back to Gainey hipchecks. Komi's aren't quite as good, but they still thunder. Still needs to work on footspeed, though, in my opinion.

As to the game? It's nice to see HOCKEY again rather than the game of Obstruction. When Pedneault said the penalty situation was a little out of control and that there would be more tolerance during the season, I got angry. Tolerance is exactly what this game DOES NOT need! That was an absolutely idiotic commentary by someone who usually has his head screwed on fairly correctly.

Oh, and hilarious watching Pat Quinn whine about EVERYTHING again. Some things never change. No wonder TO has become a city of whiners. LOL!!!

Dagenais is a scorer, but doesn't bring much more. I like the idea of Perezhogin or another young guy on 2nd line LW. I'm one of the few who like Sundstrom. He's a GREAT 13th forward to have in case of injury or a slump from a rookie.

Dagenais is just a scorer however I think we have youngsters who have more offensive upside. I mean honestly Perehozgin or Dagenais? Thats not a tough decision IMO.

Sundstrom is a fine defensive player. Even if he's used on the PK, I wouldn't object.