Canadien's final line-up?

shortcat1

Originally posted by Rooster

yeah, especially that fights aren't allowed in NHL rules (it's a penalty).  Thou shall not fight, but if thou disregards this and fights thou shall fight without thou's helmet.

Is it possible for just ONE player to get a fighting major? I mean, A skates up to B and drops the gloves, B does not. A punches B. So B turns the other cheek, and skates away. Would A get 5 minutes and B nothing? Probably not going to happen in the testosterone-charged NHL but if a team adapted this strategy they would score a whole lot of PP goals and win a whole lot of games.

I don't follow hockey to see (hear) guys punch one another. There are fightsports galore out there if that's what you are into.

[Edited on 3-10-05 by JeanLucPilon]

Originally posted by JeanLucPilon
Originally posted by Rooster

yeah, especially that fights aren't allowed in NHL rules (it's a penalty).  Thou shall not fight, but if thou disregards this and fights thou shall fight without thou's helmet.

Is it possible for just ONE player to get a fighting major? I mean, A skates up to B and drops the gloves, B does not. A punches B. So B turns the other cheek, and skates away. Would A get 5 minutes and B nothing? Probably not going to happen in the testosterone-charged NHL but if a team adapted this strategy they would score a whole lot of PP goals and win a whole lot of games.

I don't follow hockey to see (hear) guys punch one another. There are fightsports galore out there if that's what you are into.

[Edited on 3-10-05 by JeanLucPilon]

Think A would get a roughing/assault/misconduct penalty not a penalty for fighting. I do agree that hockey should be fight free...makes the sport lose credibility and makes teams give roster spots to goons instead of to "real" hockey players. It's actually a sad disgrace if you ask me (when I say fight free, I don't mean free of good physical play). But it isn't going to happen, the NHl seems to have in it's head that fights bring fans to the rink, especially in the US.

My comment was to the effet that the NHL would have trouble regulating how fights are conducted if they are currently illegal (at least nominaly). Didn't think that much through though, they could simply add an additional two minutes if the player fights with his helmet on (but I guess that could implicitely undermine the credibility of the lipservice they pay to the rules forbidding fighting). Anyway, sadly, don't think either banning of fights or forbiding players to wear a helmet when fighting are on the NHL's radar.

Originally posted by beckham

Hainsey will be fine. He will push Bouillon out of town before too long.

Huh? :?-

In order to push someone you actually have to be better. I like Hainsey as well, but what he showed in training camp did not warrant a final stay on the blueline. Not to say most of the D-Man on Montreal looked overly impressive.

By the way beckham, thanks for that stat on Streit. Didn't know he was -5 with all that ice time he had.

Bob Gainey must really like him so I am willing to wait and see what Mr. Streit can do in the regular season.

He was -6 but you're just picking out the wrong stats. You can take a great player , find the right stats and facts and make him look bad. That's deceiving and his 1 point is no concern; he's a defenceman. An offensive defenceman who could have scored more goals but he was robbed by Ray Emery.

Julien says Hainsey is a better player but they saw more potential in Streit and that he could play better in a week, two weeks or a month.

which stat should i be looking at? I dont disagree with keeping Streit up... he is kinda my sentimental favourtie, but he hasn't performed like an NHLer yet.

Where can one get a game-by-game breakdown of his stats... To evince the whole improvement over time theory, I'd like to see his SOG and +/- go up from game to game.

Bulis_the_Habbie, I value a players +/- status to be important in what type of player he is. To expand on this, I was under the assumption that Mr. Streit was an offensive defenseman. This should make him on the + side of the +/- stats because of the ice time and chances on the power play. If he was on the penalty kill all the time then I would give him a break.

I will agree as this is preseason so stats can be dishonest in a players abilities.

I have seen nothing that would excite me about Hainsey or Streit as a full time defenseman on Montreal. Hainsey had some defensive gems, but nothing spectacular in the offensive zone. Striet, on the offensive end was not too bad but defensively... YIKES! I think it was in game 2 against the Laffs he was skating backwards one on one and fell down. Dandenault had to take a tripping penalty to stop the play. On Streits next shift he got rubbed out along the boards. Next play he coughed up the puck.

I sure hope he works out for the team as I want Montreal to win. Absolutly nothing against him personally. :hockey:

[Edited on 2005/10/4 by Howie_Morenz]