Hainsey & Vandermeer sent down ...

Theberge43

Not surpirsed by both.

Vandermeer, from what I saw, took several un-needed penalties. Meanwhile, Julien probably likes Ivanans because the guy's build like a bull. I'm sure he can take just about anyone in the NHL. (I'd personally love to see him take on Chara)

Many people are bashing the fact that we're keeping a tough guy up, but in my mind we'll surely need it. Think about playing the Sens, Leafs, Bruins, and Sabers 8 times each this season. I can already sense the bad blood increasing.

Now, to Hainsey, well he just doesn't get it. I wonder if he'll ever amount to expectations. If he does, my guess is that it will be with another club.

Streit has a ton of potential. He's an offensive threat, and his defensive play (from what I've heard) has also been getting better with every game. When this guy gets comfortable, look out. I'm sure he'll crack the top 6. He's probably got one of the best shots of our D-man. (Sure Souray's is hard, but Steit seems to have the best accuracy.)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

That's because Vandermeer was initially a scorer. The teams he was playing on already had scorers so he became an enforcer. That 19 goal seaosn was probably a few years ago when he was still trying to score.

My point exactly, Vandermeer used to be somewhat of a scorer, so he must have some hockey skill besides throwing punches. Never in his career has Ivanans scored more than 4 goals in a season. He's always been a straight enforcer. Vandermeer obvisously is not as big as Ivanans, but he's a better hockey player.

And as for stupid penalties, Ivanans had just as many. I recall him taking a slashing penalty (always a stupid penalty) and also a cross-checking penalty, on the PP no less.

But we already have Bégin as our half-enforcer/half-scorer man. What we need is one big guy who can scare the other enforcers away. A whole team of Vandermeers won't scare away anyone but one Vandermeer type player and one bull like Ivanans is enough to run Avery and McGrattan over.

If we're gonna use Vandermeer as our ewnforcer we'd be better off with no enforcer at all. It wouldn't help us or scare anyone.

Originally posted by Theberge43

Zednik/Perezhogin-Koivu-Kovalev

Dagenais/Zednik-Ribeiro-Ryder

Sundstrom/Higgins-Bonk-Bulis

Higgins/Perezhogin/Ivanas-Plekanec-Begin

Plekanec will center the 4th line, he played center all camp. Perezhogin might get a chance on the 1st line if he plays well enough as Zednik is too much of a puck hugger to play with Kovalev IMO.

Perezhogin on the 1st line is madness. My guess is:

Zed-Koivu-Kovy

Plekanec-Ribeiro-Ryder

Higgins-Bonk-Bulis

Perezhogin-Begin-Sundstrom

Pleks and Perez could also switch places.

Bench: Ivanans (taking Perez or Sunny's spot for tough games), and Dags (will cover for those hurt or underperforming)

[Edited on 2005/10/3 by TruthMonger]

Come on, you don't run up 300+ PIM a year by not being tough. That's a lot of fighting each and every season, and it has never slowed him down.

Size doesn't matter as long as he can hold his own in a fight. Look at Tie Domi. I'd say he's one of the better enforcers of the 90s, and he's 5-11 and not much more than 200 pounds. And how about Kasparaitis? He's the same size as Vandermeer and he's been known throughout his career as one of the best checkers around. Barnaby is yet another tough guy about the same size as Vandermeer.

Anyways, here's my lines:

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev

Perezhogin-Ribeiro-Ryder

Bulis-Bonk-Higgins

Plekanec-Begin-Sundstrom

Markov-Komisarek

Souray-Dandenault

Streit-Rivet

Theo

Danis

Press-box: Ivanans, Dagenais, and Boullion.

I don't think they would have kept Perezhogin to be a spare player, and he's not a good fit on the 3rd/4th line. Therefore, I think he'll play on the 2nd line. They already know what they can get from Dags, so if Perezhogin doesn't work out, Dags can step in and shoot some pucks. As for Streit over Boullion, that's a toss up. I've never seen Streit play, but he sounds pretty decent.

[Edited on 10-3-05 by Fanpuck33]

Can he hold his own in a fight? We've only seen him barely stay in a fight with Mitch Fritz. Sure he's huge but why pick a fight with someone you can't beat?

Ivanans will make guys like Domi wait a shift before cheap-shotting someone in the face.

I prefer the second one. Though it would take jobs away from Bouillon and Streit. It would still be a big upgrade for the team.

I'm serious when I say Perezhogin will get a look on the first line ... Zednik and Kovalev won't be able to perform on the same line, they both need the puck ...

Perezhogin will be able to follow Koivu and Kovalev and won't ask for that much puck control ...

Zednik will get tons of passes from Ribeiro and Ryder doesn't need the puck to score ...

Or the other option would be to trade Zednik away if both Perezhogin and Dagenais show they can perform all season.

Zednik is a potential 30 goal scorer (26 last year on a weaker line and team) for a bargain price. He's possibly one of the best veterans in the league who get less than $2M.

He's a great player however he doesn't play well with Ribeiro so he would be better on the first line. No way should he be traded though he has high value.

Perezhogin and Dagenais both earn a spot on the roster but it's no good trading your best LW so that you can give a spot to your 3rd. Zednik and Dagenais or Zednik and Perezhogin are both better than Dagenais and Perezhogin.

Kovalev doesn't hog the puck. He can score when he wants but also makes great passes. Koivu is a playmaker and Zednik is a pure finisher. Let him finish.

Everyone will get his fair share of pucks.

We'll see ... still not sold on the ZKK line ... the only reason Zed doesn't play well with Ribeiro, it's cause he used to whine about not playing on the 1st line ... with Kovy and the injection of youth this year, he should be glad to be on either one ...

With all the changes the Habs are trying to do, I would like to see the first two lines stay together at least for the first 10 games. Then try to work guys around to get used to each other in case of emergencies. Colorado was famous for changing lineups and was very successful in the past. (Not saying we have the talent that team had)

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz

With all the changes the Habs are trying to do, I would like to see the first two lines stay together at least for the first 10 games.  Then try to work guys around to get used to each other in case of emergencies.  Colorado was famous for changing lineups and was very successful in the past.  (Not saying we have the talent that team had)

Well, actualy like you said, we don't have the talent that they had.

Whether you play Forsberg, Tanguay and Deadmarsh on the first line or Sakic, Hejduk and Drury doesn't matter. You'll still have a great team with Roy, Bourque, Blake and Foote to back you up. They won games because they had a good team, not because they played with their lines.

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Two rumours I'm reading on other boards about Hainsey:

-Pittsburgh will claim him

-Phoenix will trade Brad Ference for him. That one is apprently from the Team 1200.

Something for something is much better than nothing for something...

I can't imagine why Phoenix would want to do that except maybe to keep their roster #'s correct.

I'm surprised by the cuts because I thought they would keep Hainsey so he wouldn't go through waivers and send Streit down to Hamilton to learn the North American game. That way they could give Hainsey a better evaluation and then make a decision about trading him or not. Hainsey has hardly played any games in the Habs uniform. This would be a learning experience for Streit which would help him later in the season and there was no risk of losing him to waivers. As for Van, I thought he had a one way contract. Guess I was misinformed. Although these were surprises I think they made the right choices in terns of picking the best players for the job. Ivanans is bigger and more intimidating than Van and I think Streit is the better dman but I would of liked to see what Hainsey could do with a few games under his belt in the NHL.

I'm surprised they cut Hainsey. It may have had something to do with the contract that Streit signed which allegedly gauranteed him 30 NHL games. If that is true it sucks. There was nothing in Streit's training camp and exhibition play to suggest that he won the job outright.

Originally posted by Mark Napier

As for Van, I thought he had a one way contract.  Guess I was misinformed.  

A one-way contract doesn't mean a player can't be sent down. It just means that you still have to pay him his full NHL salary to play in the minors.

Originally posted by TruthMonger

A one-way contract doesn't mean a player can't be sent down. It just means that you still have to pay him his full NHL salary to play in the minors.

Ahh I see. Well I guess Van is happy either way, he still gets paid.;)

Originally posted by beckham

I'm surprised they cut Hainsey. It may have had something to do with the contract that Streit signed which allegedly gauranteed him 30 NHL games. If that is true it sucks. There was nothing in Streit's training camp and exhibition play to suggest that he won the job outright.

The 30 game thing wouldn't have much bearing on cutting Hainsey because he could always get his 30 games in later in the season. By that time they would have a definete opinion on Hainsey because right now he is pretty much an unknown factor. Who can say for sure what Hainsey can do in the NHL because he has only played a handfull of games there.

Originally posted by TruthMonger

Ahh I see. Well I guess Van is happy either way, he still gets paid.;)

Does it still count against the habs cap space? If so, it's quite a waste.

It isn't all that much money (compared to 39M) anyway. We can stomach it quite easily. And I expect to see him in atleast a couple of games this season. I can see two enforcers in a playoff series against Philadelphia.

That reminds me of the young defence giant that was called up against Boston. What happened to Matt O'Dette?

Originally posted by Rooster

Does it still count against the habs cap space?  If so, it's quite a waste.

Not 100% sure on this one, but I think the player has to be on the active roster to count. Still wasted money for the organization, but probably no hit to the cap.

Didn't someone say that teams had until 1pm to claim one of them?

So I guess that means they're safe. And I'd love to trad eihm for Brad Ference. I have no idea why anyone would make that trade though. It's only a rumour and there's about a 2% chance it comes true.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

O'Dette?    

Good grief! What an anglicizartion of a French name. Reminds me of a family in my home town. The grand-father was called LEFEVRE and the grandkids were called BEAN. Another was changed from l'Écuyer to Spooner.

Sheeeshhhhh....:eyes::eyes::eyes: