NHL's Greatest Team!

Howie_Morenz

Thought I would share some interesting historical stats that prove how great the Canadien franchise is. Our time is near to challenge and to take back the trophy that rightfully belongs to Montreal. It is also a good reminder for those Leaf fans that do not accept reality, in that Montreal is the real home of hockey.

STATS:

Most Stanley Cup championships

23 Montreal Canadiens

13 Toronto Maple Leafs

9 Detroit Red Wings

Most consecutive Stanley Cup championships

5 Montreal Canadiens (1956-60)

4 Montreal Canadiens (1976-79)

4 New York Islanders (1980-83)

Most Finals series appearances

32 Montreal Canadiens

21 Toronto Maple Leafs

21 Detroit Red Wings

Most consecutive Finals series appearances

10 Montreal Canadiens (1951-60)

5 Montreal Canadiens (1965-69)

5 New York Islanders (1980-84)

Most years in playoffs

72 Montreal Canadiens

61 Toronto Maple Leafs

59 Boston Bruins

Most consecutive playoff appearances

29 Boston Bruins (1968-96)

28 Chicago Blackhawks (1970-97)

24 Montreal Canadiens (1971-94)

22 St. Louis Blues (1980-2001)

21 Montreal Canadiens (1949-69)

Go Habs Go :hlogo:

Plus way back when, hockey with its first rules was invented in Montreal.

And more recently, the Habs had the highest attendance in the NHL last season.

Super post!

All I can add to that is... on and on and on and on go the accolades.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo::ghg::hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

[Edited on 2005/10/8 by shortcat1]

Originally posted by JeanLucPilon

Plus way back when, hockey with its first rules was invented in Montreal.

And more recently, the Habs had the highest attendance in the NHL last season.

technically yes, but you can argue that the leafs have better attendance because they sold out a higher percentage of their seats that the habs. the only reason montreal has a higher number is because the bell centre is bigger than the acc.

Originally posted by les_glorieux

you can argue that the leafs have better attendance because they sold out a higher percentage of their seats that the habs. the only reason montreal has a higher number is because the bell centre is bigger than the acc.

ah, "higher" versus "better"...

Could we then argue that the Habs also have better attendance because fans in Montreal are more hockey-savvy and passionate than the suits over at the ACC?

Plus the "sell-outs" in Toronto happen with a lot of seats empty, as the corporates with season tickets often don't show up for the games; or arrive late or leave early.

:D

Originally posted by JeanLucPilon
Originally posted by les_glorieux

you can argue that the leafs have better attendance because they sold out a higher percentage of their seats that the habs. the only reason montreal has a higher number is because the bell centre is bigger than the acc.

ah, "higher" versus "better"...

Could we then argue that the Habs also have better attendance because fans in Montreal are more hockey-savvy and passionate than the suits over at the ACC?

Plus the "sell-outs" in Toronto happen with a lot of seats empty, as the corporates with season tickets often don't show up for the games; or arrive late or leave early.

:D

ya that's a good point too. good one to use against leafs fans :king:

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz

Thought I would share some interesting historical stats that prove how great the Canadien franchise is. Our time is near to challenge and to take back the trophy that rightfully belongs to Montreal. It is also a good reminder for those Leaf fans that do not accept reality, in that Montreal is the real home of hockey.

STATS:

Most Stanley Cup championships

23 Montreal Canadiens

13 Toronto Maple Leafs

9 Detroit Red Wings

Most consecutive Stanley Cup championships

5 Montreal Canadiens (1956-60)

4 Montreal Canadiens (1976-79)

4 New York Islanders (1980-83)

Most Finals series appearances

32 Montreal Canadiens

21 Toronto Maple Leafs

21 Detroit Red Wings

Most consecutive Finals series appearances

10 Montreal Canadiens (1951-60)

5 Montreal Canadiens (1965-69)

5 New York Islanders (1980-84)

Most years in playoffs

72 Montreal Canadiens

61 Toronto Maple Leafs

59 Boston Bruins

Most consecutive playoff appearances

29 Boston Bruins (1968-96)

28 Chicago Blackhawks (1970-97)

24 Montreal Canadiens (1971-94)

22 St. Louis Blues (1980-2001)

21 Montreal Canadiens (1949-69)

Go Habs Go :hlogo:

Ummm..... The Habs have won 24 cups not 23, so that makes them seem even GREATER!!!!!!!!!!!

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

Ah cr@p, when I typed this up last night I hit 23 instead of 24. Grrr... Bad habs fan I am. My typing skills should not be called skills.

Cup # 25 will be soon, could be this year if Jose is back to form. Calgary and Tampa proved last finals you don't have to have a team with the most skilled players. Just guys that have some skills, a goalie to stand on his head and a couple of stars.

If Montreal's defence puts it together this year then we have a shot at a finals appearance. Peter the Great will fall to injury in Philly, Brodeur is looking more human, Tampa does not have a real goalie so there is a chance for the Habs.

:hockey:

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz

Ah cr@p, when I typed this up last night I hit 23 instead of 24. Grrr... Bad Habs fan I am. My typing skills should not be called skills.

Cup # 25 will be soon, could be this year if Jose is back to form. Calgary and Tampa proved last finals you don't have to have a team with the most skilled players. Just guys that have some skills, a goalie to stand on his head and a couple of stars.

If Montreal's defence puts it together this year then we have a shot at a finals appearance. Peter the Great will fall to injury in Philly, Brodeur is looking more human, Tampa does not have a real goalie so there is a chance for the Habs.

:hockey:

Excuses, excuses...