Marchment Finds A Home

jetsniper

Originally posted by jetsniper

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=139413&hubname=

I guess the panic button has been hit. I don't see why the hell they'd want this guy, I don't think hes all that adept for the new rules. They're getting enough penalties as it is...

Would of thought it would be the retirement home. Oh well, best of luck.

with the TO boo birds going nuts over berg and belak, the best possibility is that Marchmant is absolutely fantastic, furthering the pain of leaf fans who are stuck with the knowledge that they threw away Marchmant in favour of some clowns.

The Flames are way overrated this year. If anything they needed a scorer not more toughness on D. Daymond Langkow is a joke on the first line and that means there's nobody to center Jarome Iginla. Tony Amonte is over the hill and shouldn't be a first liner. They badly need scoring forwards. Maybe they should trade some of their "great" defenceman for a strong center. They could have made a move on Heatley.

Now why their overrated. Last year, they barely made the playoffs and they got to the final only by clutching and grabbing their way in. Now, their tough defence loses it's value. On paper it looks great but in the new NHL this line-up isn't as great. Marchment is their 7th or 8th defenceman so this is only a depth signing. Also, Robyn Regher, their best defenceman, is injured for a few games. This is a desperation signing. Who'da thought the Flames woul be panicking so early. In short, they have no shot whatsoever at the Conference title, like some predicted them. They might finish a little better than last season. 5th or 6th in the WC.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

The Flames are way overrated this year. If anything they needed a scorer not more toughness on D. Daymond Langkow is a joke on the first line and that means there's nobody to center Jarome Iginla. Tony Amonte is over the hill and shouldn't be a first liner. They badly need scoring forwards. Maybe they should trade some of their "great" defenceman for a strong center. They could have made a move on Heatley.

Now why their overrated. Last year, they barely made the playoffs and they got to the final only by clutching and grabbing their way in. Now, their tough defence loses it's value. On paper it looks great but in the new NHL this line-up isn't as great. Marchment is their 7th or 8th defenceman so this is only a depth signing. Also, Robyn Regher, their best defenceman, is injured for a few games. This is a desperation signing. Who'da thought the Flames woul be panicking so early. In short, they have no shot whatsoever at the Conference title, like some predicted them. They might finish a little better than last season. 5th or 6th in the WC.

I agree with almost everything you say... except I think Langkow was a fantastic signing. He's put up 50+ points a year for the last five years, usually playing on crummy teams. He's never played with a winger as good as Iginla; Iginla hasn't played with a centerman as good as Langkow. I expect 80+ points from Langkow.

Langkow's been playing bottom lines in Philly for a while. Who you can hardly call a crummy team. I'll have to look up the 50+ points a season part. I always thought of him as a checker.

Ah, I see. He got points in Philly but then got nice point totals in Pheonix. 2003-04: 21G, 31A, 52P: 81 games.

Average but for a first line center that isn't all that good. And Shane Doan in Pheonix is better than Tony Amonte. Do you have an argument for Tony Amonte being good enough to be a first line player? That means Langkow and Iginla will have to score points alone. 80 points. I'm confident Langkow won't hit 80 points.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

Ah, I see. He got points in Philly but then got nice point totals in Pheonix. 2003-04: 21G, 31A, 52P: 81 games.

Average but for a first line center that isn't all that good. And Shane Doan in Pheonix is better than Tony Amonte. Do you have an argument for Tony Amonte being good enough to be a first line player? That means Langkow and Iginla will have to score points alone. 80 points. I'm confident Langkow won't hit 80 points.

Only 21 players have scored at least 50 points in the past 5 NHL years. Iginla and Langkow are 2 of them (Amonte is a third, but I agree with you that he is in decline). This is a pretty good indication that Langkow is a good player to begin with. AND... playing with Iginla is worth at least 20 points. Look at Craig Conroy: he went from being a third liner in St. Louis to seasons of 75 and 59 points in Calgary. No offense to Conroy (who is a nice player), but Langkow is at least twice as good an offensive player.

I'm not sure how the Flames will end up, but I'm fairly sure that Langkow will have a big year if he plays on the top line with Iginla.

Originally posted by jetsniper

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=139413&hubname=

I guess the panic button has been hit. I don't see why the hell they'd want this guy, I don't think hes all that adept for the new rules. They're getting enough penalties as it is...

Marchment is a HACK! He knows nothing about hockey and is nothing but a goon that takes people out then tries to claim he is innocent.

Calgary has really sunk low to get this guy.

Sure, he's consistent but consistently average. He'd make a great second line center but I can't see him with first line duty. A center would be much better than Marchment. Marchment sucks. I can't see why the Leafs signed Berg and Belak but let this guy go. As bad as he is, he's better than those two.

Ah well... there will be a lot of injuries in the Western Conference this year...