Habsworld Power Rankings

GoHabs2002

You know, with all these complaints about various sources' rankings....

why doesn't Habsworld add a new feature to the website...its very own power rankings!

Of course, there should be one collaborator (or a small few...3) that fixes the list every week, probably issuing it on Sunday night.

And it would be a good idea to fix a list of criteria that must be followed...a list that is a consensus, as much as possible, to what the general membership of Habsworld.

My contribution to the list:

- The rankings MUST NOT be be based on potential play.

- The rankings can only be based on past play (preceding week having greater emphasis, with the past 8-10 overall games having emphasis).

- Recent injuries should come into play.

:ghg:

I'm not too sure but I think that was a burn. Or supposed to be one. Everything's different in Europe...

Are all power rankings only based on past play? Because if they are then what's the point of them? Just rank them by points.

well, if anybody were interested - I'd be willing to contribute to this.

It would only make sense as a predictive system - BTH is right that point totals or "last ten games point totals" are mostly adequate for rating past play

dont mean to be a smart-alek but aren't rankings based on past performance, simply called "standings" and found in every newspaper?sorry, just couldn't resist.

I tell you one thing though... you could probably use the TSN power rankings as an example of how NOT to do the Habsworld system.

With them it's Leafs first, then "who cares" about the 29 other non-Leafs teams in the league.

I think my hatred of the Leafs is becoming rather obvious isn't it?

I meant past play, not past points achieved.

Many times a team can play decent and come out with less than deserving results or vice versa.

Using a power rankings as a list of for predictive play is too subjective...

In my mind, power rankings is based on which team, at the time of writing, is in the best position to perform according to their rank in the upcoming week (if its a weekly ranking).

So it does have a predictive value in it, but how you can ignore recent team developments (play, injuries, streaks) and have a reliable power ranking system is beyond me.

Standings is based on cumulative play for the entire season, to be me power rankings reflect most recent play and developments that try to provide an inference to what can occur in the near future.

If power rankings are presented weekly it only makes sense for it to concern an equivalent span both ways (1 week forward and 1 week back), no?

I guess it all goes down to what people mean by power rankings.

This is a hard thing to do. How do you rank Nashville and Detroit? To think about it how do we effectively rate Montreal? Do you go on player stats mostly or # wins? Overtime Losses are losses to me and should be no points but how do they count here?

I love sports and when I see these rankings everywhere I chuckle a little bit. In my Heart Montreal will always be ranked #1 and that is good enough for me. :hlogo:

I thought the power rankings everywhere were supposed to be weighted on performance at that moment, or over the preceeding week anyway.

I think the place (forget where) that just averages out all the other rankings to make a sort of superlist probably produces the best snapshot of the league for those of us who tend to be Hab-centric and don't follow other (especially Western) teams so closely.

I wonder if HabsWorld could do something similar or even use their rankings (with attribution)?

Originally posted by ~moeman

Read tsn's power-ranker try to pathetically explain himself. It'll be fun watching him spin an 8-0 rout. Wonder if he'll consider how OTT played 3rd and 4th liners in the 3rd period.

http://tinyurl.com/bwd9g

[Edited on 2005/10/31 by ~moeman]

Actually after an 8 - 0 drubing I am expecting the Leafs to be ranked #1.

You see they will say that the Leafs won 8 - 0 so the flock will believe them. Hey it is in print so it has to be the truth.....:lol::lol:

Originally posted by simonus

it would actually be really easy to write that kind of survey list, you could even weight the lists according to 'reliability'. Like say that TSN is crappy so only count it .8 times.

This isn't to respond to your comment but to say that your avatar is cool (especially right out of the fridge :lol: ).

I like it a lot.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

Originally posted by ~moeman

Don't go here;

http://tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=548&hubname=

I find it interesting and funny that one of the best ways to have someone (like me) do something is to tell him not to do it. :D

Habsworld power ratings... I wouldn't even know how to begin to do that.

This would mean being constantly in the know about every power ratings related aspects of every team and I don't follow ALL of the league that very much.

Those of you who wish to do it, go for it..., me... I've got other things I need to do with my time (and I'm not even getting those done - not that I'm losing huge amounts of sleep due to that fact).

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo: