VITAL 6 DAYS

JMMR

Originally posted by redondo

Legacy-wise, our only true rivals are the New York Yankees - for the most championships in NA professional sports that is...... :king:

[Edited on 2005/11/25 by redondo]

Habs would kick yankee butt 10 time out of 10. Do they even have anybody who can skate properly. Some rivalry. We'd own them! Would be quite fun to try to distinguish them from the refs on the ice though with that zebra thing they have going on.

Originally posted by Mont Royale
Originally posted by option+

I think that our best rivalry right now is with Boston.  They HATE us... probably because they're sick of being our personal bitch in the playoffs.  Too bad they stink this year, beating them in the playoffs is always fun.

We're THEIR best rivalry. They're not ours. We have a great rivalry with Toronto and Ottawa. Boston is beneath us. :king:

I disagree.

I honestly don't think we have much of a rivalry with the Leafs anymore. Sure we hate them... but name one group of fans in the NHL that doesn't. Bottom line: we haven't played a meaningful game against them since what... 1978? Sure we despise the team and their players, and love to beat them, but rivalries have to be grounded in actual events, and nothing of note has happened between us and the Leafs for 25+ years.

And if history dictates rivalry, then our rivalry with Boston should be just as important as with the Leafs... those 1980s meetings with us and the Bs were just as intense as anything we ever had with the Leafs.

And I don't think we have anything CLOSE to a rivalry with the Sens. Too many of us DON'T hate them. A lot of us would likely that if the Habs can't win the Cup, we'd hope that the Sens could take it. Sorry, that's a BS rivalry to me.

We hate the Bruins... they hate us. We've played a lot of big games against them lately. Stuff has happened like McLaren's hit on Zednik, Ribeiro's diving antics, and Joe Thornton blantly trying to injure Saku... I dunno, maybe it's just me since I was in the arena for most of the big games against Boston from 02 to 04, but I say our best rivalry is against them right now.

Wait....I can see it now....

Johnson 100mph fastball towards the Montreal goal.....No problem, Theo makes the stick save, Markov long pass to Kovalev who buries it past Yankees catcher for the goal. But wait, A-Rod sends one into the stands......only to be called for delay of game....

Yup, we'd own them alright....

I would say option+ is right, it is Boston as of now, but I have a feeling that just one playoff series against Toronto is all that'll take to make the Leafs our #1 rival again. History aside, they're such a dirty team that you just know there'll be bad blood by the first intermission of the very first game.....Boston can still remain our favorite playoff biatch though, obviously it's a job description that fits them like nobody else.....

Good point option..

Its hard to have a rivalry with a team that hasn't been able to compare to yours in 38 years.. if anything leafs fans should get more heated to play us..personally i am dissapointed in this season because i always get riled up for games vs. the red wings.

In this new Nhl though I guess the senators are the next big thing.

When you want your team to dominate you dont hope they win against columbus st louis or toronto..you want them to measure up to ottawa detroit philly and the kings.

Originally posted by Mont Royale

I think that our best rivalry right now is with Boston.  They HATE us... probably because they're sick of being our personal bitch in the playoffs.  Too bad they stink this year, beating them in the playoffs is always fun.

We're THEIR best rivalry. They're not ours. We have a great rivalry with Toronto and Ottawa. Boston is beneath us. :king:

I disagree.

I honestly don't think we have much of a rivalry with the Leafs anymore. Sure we hate them... but name one group of fans in the NHL that doesn't. Bottom line: we haven't played a meaningful game against them since what... 1978? Sure we despise the team and their players, and love to beat them, but rivalries have to be grounded in actual events, and nothing of note has happened between us and the Leafs for 25+ years.

And if history dictates rivalry, then our rivalry with Boston should be just as important as with the Leafs... those 1980s meetings with us and the Bs were just as intense as anything we ever had with the Leafs.

And I don't think we have anything CLOSE to a rivalry with the Sens. Too many of us DON'T hate them. A lot of us would likely that if the Habs can't win the Cup, we'd hope that the Sens could take it. Sorry, that's a BS rivalry to me.

We hate the Bruins... they hate us. We've played a lot of big games against them lately. Stuff has happened like McLaren's hit on Zednik, Ribeiro's diving antics, and Joe Thornton blantly trying to injure Saku... I dunno, maybe it's just me since I was in the arena for most of the big games against Boston from 02 to 04, but I say our best rivalry is against them right now.

Valid points, all. Definitely Boston has been the bigger rivalry in the playoffs for a long time. With Toronto back in our division (yes, OUR division!), and the Habs having a better team now, this may change. I think there is a more natural fit with a Toronto rivalry, due to proximity and (going back much further into history) the fact that they were the only 2 Canadian teams in the original 6 days.

How's this: I hate them both! :devil:

For some reason i just don't hate the leafs. I totally hate Leaf fans and media, but not the guys on the team. I used to hate Domi but he did us a favor by getting Leaf management to sign him and actually give him money. Stopped a good player for making the team.

I hate Boston. I hate the city, fans, players and just the team in general. They talk smack yet produce a whimper. Bosox won a pennant by the sure streak of pure luck. Celtics won't win anything any longer and I think this is the year that the Patriots(I know New England) goes down.

Toronto does not win anything and Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment have destroyed my basketball team the Raptors! The Bluejays my favorite BBall team has no hope against big spenders in their division. I feel pity for the teams which makes me not hate Toronto. But the fans...Oh the knowledgeable Tdot Leaf fans...

:nono::nono::nono: