Theodore Likely Not a Part of Team Canada

~moeman

i haven't watched too many jersey games this year but when i have brodeur has been awful...struggling far more than theodore in adjusting to the new equipment, rules and angles. personally i would rather have theo in there or some other canadian goalie who may be hot this year that i have not seen (as admittedly i have watched all habs games but hardly any games they weren't in). i think going back through all the canada cup history it's unfortunately pretty common for the goalie of someone coaching or managing the teams that get in. like ranford when sather was involved and so forth. i like some things about gretzky and don't like other things but i can't see him not having cujo be at least number 3 cause he is his goalie and he will want to show he believes in him or not cheese him off. having said that, cujo prolly does deserve to be there this year based on what i've heard how he's playing. anyway, i think luongo is very over-rated, brodeur should have been the starter over roy the year he started, but not this year, and theodore would have been a good choice several times as well. theodore would definitely be my choice anyway, but i too i guess am biased.

The only goalie I'd sub Brodeur for would be Théo, and I'm not sure there's been enough of a difference between the two this year to warrant making that choice. AND I'd prefer is Théo rested his groin while everyone else is in Italy.

Belfour - ha.

Turco - has choked in the playoffs.

Cujo - a bad-team goalie if I've ever seen one.

Luongo - I don't know what's wrong with him. He started so well, but everything has fallen apart lately. Maybe his mind is on his contract situation, I dunno. For some reason he doesn't fill me with very much confidence this year.

Kidz, please lets not make a big deal out of me creating a thread with an objectionable title. Its no big deal.

~~~

waynEgo is a liar. He specifically omitted Theo in 2002 and NEVER explained why. Theodore had some of the best stats going during waynEgo's so-called press-fluffed scouting in 02. This is utter cr@p. All of a sudden 2002jo's current play gives him an up on the selection? Yeah. Right.

I've been a goalie and a knowledegeable hockey fan for decades. I know tending. I know when I see a choker and 2002jo is the biggest in many years. It is MY opinion that he does not deserve a spot on Team Canada. Note I've never said Theo 'deserves' a spot. 2002jo should never have started Game 1 in 2002 and there's no justifying him being put on this team.

waynEgo yips about planning for the future. He's a liar. If he meant it then old big-game chokers like 2002jo wouldn't even be considered.

waynEgo is once again pattin himself on his own back whilst his media lemmings lap it up for his own glory.

Question, why would Gretzky have anything against Gretzky?

Btw, check this out.

"Gretzky says picking the two goalies after starter Martin Brodeur won't be easy now that Curtis Joseph has joined the mix along with Roberto Luongo, Jose Theodore and Marty Turco.

'I would say that's probably the hardest decision,' Gretzky said."

Hmm, practically the same quote from Gretzky, after a different list of goalies. Looks like one (or both) articles got the list of goalies wrong.

Anyways, who cares if Theo makes the team as the 3rd goalie? All he'll do is sit around doing nothing. I'm fine if a more deserving goalie makes the team and lets Theo spend some time with his family over the break.

I'm starting to get uneasy about Canada's chances of repeating at Olympic gold. ALL of our top goaltenders have to play better. Brodeur was awful last night. Theo has been inconsistent, Belfour has been mediocre, and I have no faith in Cujo. Turco may get some minutes in Turin!

i just wish the decision would be based on merit. just naming brodeur the starter regardless of his play this year seems ridiculous to me. for many years while roy was with montreal and obviously the top goalie in hockey roy was passed over for international competitions because our coaches and managers weren't part of the selection committee. the one year he did play he too was named the starter before the tournament started and that year brodeur was the better choice. now when brodeur isn't the top goalie anymore he is named as the starter. wierd and political and i just don't get it. i'm not advocating for any one in particular here but just don't think naming brodeur the starter without him deserving it is right. and while i would like to see jose start, i also don't mind him resting either, and not getting picked will give him something to prove later when he "earns" the conn smythe later this this season.

If it's Brodeur, Luongo, Theo, Cujo, Turco, Beflour, Andrew Raycroft, Cam Ward, Mathieu Garon, or a trainer wearing a pair of telephone books. Whoever earns the starter's job in Turin is going to have a stellar defense corps in front of him, certainly making a difference in their own game. I think Brodeur has the edge because he did the job in SLC and he's got the most Cup appearances.

Luongo-3.30 - .908 - 10 w's

Theodore- 3.02 - .891 - 13 w's

Brodeur -2.97 .897 - 12 w's

Turco -2.61 - .898 - 16 w's

Joseph 2.29 - .924 - 14 w's

It's hard to say any one of these guys is blowing the doors off. Not really sure why anyone is anointing guys as locks when the only guy with decent #'s is CUJO.

I don't see why or how Gretzky's an unfair judge of talent, or bias managing director, or ego-driven hockey guy because he probably won't pick the starting goaltender on our favourite team?

Theodore has shown an ability to put a team first, come up big in big-game situations, and deliver a consistently solid performance over a short period of time. All great attributes for an Olympic tournament.

Theodore has played great behind an average set of defenseman, which doesn't automatically lead to a sure-thing that he'll perform even greater under better defensemen.

Brodeur has shown an ability to keep his focus despite low shot totals against or scoring chances against. Team Canada's defense will probably be the best in the Olympics, so Brodeur will finally get a set d-men he's used to.

For people to bash Gretzky because he's considering a Goalie that seemed out of the running that happens to be on his team is pretty stupid.

Last season with Detroit, Cujo showed he was able to come in off the bench or from long stretches of not playing and play good, that is what Team Canada will be looking for.

Gretzky put a bunch names on the list in every position. Even though McCabe is one of the best offensive defensemen this year, he probably won't be chosen EVEN THOUGH PAT QUINN IS HIS COACH. Because McCabe 1- probably doesn't fit it the team they're trying to build and 2- he didnt play that well in europe last year.

Canadiens fans are so damn sensitive about being taken for granted or being overlooked or whatever it is.

Chill out!! If Theodore isn't selected, it's dissappointing but it's won't be because of some underlying consipiracy!

And I, too, would like to know why a few of you are so against Gretzky?

Of course Theodore, Luongo, Brodeur and Turco are all better than Biron but Biorn is playing best now. Isn't that the argument? If we were just looking at natural talent than guys like Joseph who are just having hot streaks out of nowhere wouldn't be considered. As it is, Biron deserves to be on the team more than any other goalie in Canada. And I thought no one got left off of the 81 man list...

No Biron was not on the "short list".

He will not be taken he is unproven and the Great won loves experience between the pipes this means you cant start fro team Canada so Brodeur will have the reins to begin the tournament.

THIS IS THE LIST

Ed Belfour L 5'11 202 4/21/65 Carman, MB Toronto

Martin Brodeur L 6'2 210 5/6/72 Montreal, QC New Jersey

Dan Cloutier L 6'1 195 4/22/76 Sault Ste. Marie, ON Vancouver

Curtis Joseph L 5'11 190 4/29/67 Keswick, ON Phoenix

Roberto Luongo L 6'3 205 4/4/79 Montreal, QC Florida

Andrew Raycroft L 6'0 185 5/4/80 Belleville, ON Boston

Jose Theodore R 5'11 180 9/13/76 Montreal, QC Montreal

Marty Turco L 6'0 171 8/13/75 Sault Ste. Marie, ON Dallas

Cam Ward L 6'1 200 2/29/84 Sherwood Park, AB Carolina