Has the world, and hockey world, being turned upside down??

REV-G

This is a hockey blog so I won't talk about the absolute upside down state our world seems to be in. Countries, leaders and society seem like they've been injected with something that has turned logical, rational, moral thinking into something nobody understands. 

The hockey world, specifically the NHL, in a different sort of way also seems to have been turned upside down since the start of the season. Here are just a few of the things that are the exact opposite of what many players, fans and reporters expected.

1. The Boston Bruins. Who would have ever thought that an aging team that lost some key players in the offseason would be dominating and at the top of the league.

2. Toronto Maple Leafs. Again?? Are they cursed?? I'm obviously not a fan, and things could turn around, but they seem to be heading for another huge disappointment with the team they have assembled. It's the same story that just keeps repeating. Strong forward core of 4-5 but a weak defence and suspect goaltending.  For a team that was expected to be a serious contender, they could be fighting for a playoff spot if things don't start improving.

3. The Edmonton Oilers, Calgary Flames, Ottawa Senators, Pittsburgh Penguins??? Yikes. What's happened to these teams that were supposed to be much improved? At the moment they're awful, the opposite of what they should be, compared to the expectations many had for them.

4. Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, Jonathan Huberdeau, Nazem Kadri?? Really good players not playing anywhere near their expectations.  

I have never seen, in my lifetime, so much chaos, shock, uncaring and lack of respect for humans than I'm seeing in all areas of society throughout the world.

We are living in perilous times!! 

What do you think? 

Well, my friend, the wider breakdown in liberal-democratic societies is a much bigger question. I myself really doubt that the norms and institutions that coalesced to make the post-war era one of exceptional propserity and stability (at least in the developed west) will survive much longer; they are already disintegrating under such pressures as extreme inequality, the collapse of media and societal gatekeepers abetted by digital technology, and the slowly cascading crises generated by climate change. We are likely looking at a future of corrupt, soft authoritarianism (sometimes called "illiberal democracy," but I think "soft authoritarianism" is a more accurate label), along with declining material well-being across the western world and a good chunk of other portions of the globe. 

None of this can be related, IMHO, to the question of weird early-season hockey results. :) These are totally separate domains. Boston's continued success is very disappointing, TO's early struggles are delightful but likely temporary, Edmonton I give a 60/40 chance of recovering, Calgary is a basket case and will suck dog ka-ka for many years to come.

• Like 1

No attempt on my part to connect the two as being related. Just used the upended societal norms around the world as an intro to some crazy hockey developments that none of us saw coming. 

Very good comment on the very disappointing early Boston success!! Can it last??