HABS vs LEAFS (Sept 23rd)

puck7x

Leafs win 2-1... (Perreault scored our lone goal , on the PP)

Man , the habs have had a very hard time scoring in the preseason , we only have 4 goals total now or something? or is it 5? in 3 games... yikes , hope this trend doesnt continue into the regular season... Who am I kidding though? It will.

Habs best player tonight was Ribieiro , he played on a line with Zednik and Hossa (Line being kept together) , defitinetly our best line of the night. Theodore gave up 2 goals on the first , the first goal against him was completely not his fault , Markov made a bad giveaway leading to a leafs 2 on 1 , they setup a one-timer and Theodore had no chance on it ... The second goal Theodore was heavily screened on (Was a PP goal) , he probably could have stopped it ... but I wont fault him too much on it. After that Theodore looked great and improved as the game went on , he made a couple of huge saves in the 3rd. (He played the full game)

Hossa - Ribeiro - Zednik

Bulis - Perreault - Audette

Blouin - Higgins - Ward

Dagenais - Plekanec - Perezhogin

Markov - Rivet

Traverse - Brisebois

Bouillon - Quintal

- Habs used Dagenais + Ribeiro together for one shift in the 3rd , didnt do much.

[Edited on 2003-9-24 by puck7x]

Yeah it's ridiculous. Theo was stellar tonight, a great performance. The second goal was crazy, but it was a bit of a soft one. Other than that he was perfect, nothing he could have done on the first one, and he made a bunch of key saves.

It's stupid how the media gets on Theo's case for no real reason.

TSN and Sportsnet are both Leaf Crazy, it makes me sick to even watch it. I dont even bother to look for news about the Habs on there anymore. Habs are lucky if they get 2 minutes of coverage, while the Leafs get 15-25 almost every show. Its pretty bad when you look for hockey news and something like WADE's World comes on. What a joke, Belak probly wont even make the leafs.

As for the game, Ribeiro was by far the best player followed by Zednik. The line looked good together.

i thought Hossa played a pretty good game down low in the corners, used his size as an advantage for a change.

Theo looked really sharp as well, made some spectacular saves in the second two periods. As for the goals he let in, just bad luck, but what else is new in Montreal.

Other then that i thought the rest of the team was pretty much horrible. Dagenais looked out of place all the time, he was real slow and clumsy. Ward didn't look very sharp, Audette looked like the player that slumped last season, Higgins made one good defensive play but other then that went unoticed, Bulis didnt do very much, and well Traverse was Traverse and Breezer was Breezer.

By seeing tonights game Ryder should easily make the team and be on one of the top two lines. As for the defence, The habs better expect alot of ice time out of Souray, Komi and Markov or theres gonna be disaster in Montreal.

The rumor that Breezer turned down a trade was this true? If it is does anyone know where he was going?

Hopefully he'll be gone before the season starts, and Take Traverse with him.

:ghg:

Originally posted by Bonavistaman11

The rumor that Breezer turned down a trade was this true? If it is does anyone know where he was going?

One trade I heard was that Brisebois would have been sent to New Jersey for Oleg Tverdosky, but he negated it.

Originally posted by Bonavistaman11

There was a rumor Breezer vetoed a deal last week. The rumor came from TSN's Pierre McGwire, he has a ton of contacts around the league and doesn't make stuff up.

I think he got his scoop from someone working for the team Gainey was talking to, and that person assumed the deal fell through because of Breezer's no-trade clause.

Breezer swore on the life of his children that it was the first he had heard of it... that he hasn't vetoed any deal.

But during the interview he said that until it happens he knew rumors will keep popping up.

It seemed pretty clear the way he was talking that his trade request was still on, and that a trade was imminent. .. IMO.

He was apparently booed during yesterday's game, even though he apparently had a pretty good game.

If he's dealt, Quintal can stay on the right side with Rivet & Komisarek... and that might open up a spot for Hainsey on the left side behind Markov & Souray, now or later in the year.

You gotta figure it's going to be real hard to deal Brisebois at this point. He's average offensively (arguably slightly above average), and horrible defensively. The only way the habs can trade him is if they eat at least half his salary (I doubt that will happen) or package him in a deal with a promising youngster (I don't think Gainey wants to trade a promising youngster at this point). So basically, we're stuck with him and his contract. That was easily Savard's biggest mistake.

BTW, I was at the game last night. I have to say that it was a rather uneventful game. Perezhogin, Plekanec, Ward and Dagenais, all players I was looking forward to watch, did nothing at all to impress. As already mentioned by others, Theo was solid, Ribeiro played well, and that's about it. Passes coming out of our zone were brutal (i.e. Traverse, Brisebois and Bouillon).

The only positive is the team is cutting down the opposition's scoring opportunities. Not fun to watch, but effective.