Cornell Vs Clarkson

montreal

got to see all 3 of O'Byrne, Gleed and Paquet last night. I bought a season pass to see all the webcasts of Cornell's games this year. They don't show all 30+ games more like half.

Last nights Cornell-Clarkson game was a good one. Cornell who dominated the ECAC last year, are not the same team this year, lots of problems scoring goals, you know their offense is bad when O'Byrne is one of the top scorers and at a point this year he was 2nd on the team in scoring. But of late they have picked up the offense.

Clarkson is not in the same league as Cornell, although they have a good program and lots of NHL draft picks (9 I think), they do score a number of goals but have trouble keeping them out. They played a really good game but just couldn't hold onto their lead and Cornell's PP really looked sharp.

O'Bryne was back in action after missing one game on friday night with an undisclosed injury. He didn't miss a beat, played a very solid game, got lots of ice time, runs the PP and has a cannon of a shot. What's scary about him is how good of a skater he is and how well he moves, add to that, he's freaking huge. He wasn't too physical in the game and hasn't been from what I've seen. I know that the coaching staff really wanted him to cut down on the trips to the box cause he was getting a couple of minors a game, often going around trying to plaster guys through the boards. But he's now Cornell's top defensmen, so they need him on the ice as much as possible. He's really improved his overall game, much better in his own end, as well as offensively. He was moving the puck well but it's his heavy shot that they seemed to be trying to set up on the PP. He was held pointless but had 14 pims for getting a misconduct late in the 3rd. He mixed it up with a Clarkson player and gloves were dropped but no punches were thrown so he shouldn't be suspended.

Gleed had a big weekend, after returning from injury, where's he's missed a small part of the season already, he has only picked up 1 assist all season. But this weekend he picked up 3 assists, and now has 4 pts in 12 games. He was paired up with O'Byrne on the #1 PK unit, he blocks shots, works hard and overall is very solid in his own end. Along with picking up 3 pts, he was a +4 with 2 pims.

Paquet it was my first time seeing him play and a webcast isn't really a good place to get a good view of someone. But I have to say I was impressed with his size/skating/physical play/puck movement. He's bigger then I expected, he looks like he's got a good frame on him, for an 18 year old he should likely fill out more. He has a frame like Hainsey's, or around that size, maybe not as big but I would guess that he will be a little bigger in a couple years. His skating is good, his speed is good not great but he didn't really have a lot of chances to use his speed so I'd like to see him at the rookie camp to get a better idea. He took the body although not anywhere near overly physical, he was a little more physical then I expected, as i was under the impression he wasn't a physical player. I also thought he moved the puck well and was also surprised to see him getting that much ice time as he got a regular shift but wasn't on the PP or if he was it was breifly.

What really sucked though was when he jumped into the offensive zone on a good pinch, got the puck thrown over to him but his shot went wide, missing an open net as he had more then half the net to shoot it into. This happens to everybody but the problem was that the goal would have been huge. It would have put Clarkson up 3-1, instead he misses, a few minutes later Cornell ties it up 2-2 and then go on to win 4-2. Now Clarkson just got outplayed by more skilled players in the 3rd but had they scored they would have been in great shape cause Cornell didn't really wake up till the 3rd goal.

:hlogo: