We're Going To Have To Suck It Up

Nilan

let's be realistic - no one will trade anything for theo now. he's broken. as a result, the habs are broken.

i think we fans need to face the facts here: if we want a richards, bertuzzi or any quality goalie, it won't be in exchange for underachieving overpaid players (insert usual suspects names here). it will cost us koivu, kovalev, ryder or some of our young guns. that is the only realistic scenario. if you want meaningful short term change, its the only way.

personally, id prefer to see gainey try and be a cautious seller. screw the playoffs - you think this team is soft now, wait and see what happens if they squeak into 8th place. they will get smoked.

make a move in the summer (how great would it be to see chara in a habs uniform?). give the rooks a ton of ice for the rest of the year. i know lots of you are sick of rebuilding, but this thing is broken and can't be fixed by trading losers at this time of year.....

If Montreal are going to get a high quality player it will because the other team can't afford to keep him.

The only thing that Montreal can offer today is picks, Zednik, Bonk and maybe one of Higgins, Plekanec, Kostitsyn and Perezhogin.

If Montreal are going to get a high quality player it will because the other team can't afford to keep him.

The only thing that Montreal can offer today is picks, Zednik, Bonk and maybe one of Higgins, Plekanec, Kostitsyn and Perezhogin.

Agreed; but they had better not trade Kosty or Perez without giving them the same chance they are giving Higgins and Pleks first.

As for the season, we can still make the playoffs but I hear the top 10-15 draftees are pretty good too.

At this point trades are all but moot because we have nothing of value that we are willing to part with; I say let Theo work through this and give the rookies a chance to play regularly and see what happens after that.

It sounds good in theory, but the fans at the games in Montreal will not let that happen and Jose will be chased out of town ala Roy, Brisebois within the next few months [off season trade likely at Jose's request]

It's Sad really, to go from "future of the franchise" to future ex-habs.

Don't think for one second that Danis and Carey Price aren't taking notes on this.

Edited by Habitforming

Agreed; but they had better not trade Kosty or Perez without giving them the same chance they are giving Higgins and Pleks first.

As for the season, we can still make the playoffs but I hear the top 10-15 draftees are pretty good too.

At this point trades are all but moot because we have nothing of value that we are willing to part with; I say let Theo work through this and give the rookies a chance to play regularly and see what happens after that.

It sounds good in theory, but the fans at the games in Montreal will not let that happen and Jose will be chased out of town ala Roy, Brisebois within the next few months [off season trade likely at Jose's request]

It's Sad really, to go from "future of the franchise" to future ex-habs.

Don't think for one second that Danis and Carey Price aren't taking notes on this.

Definitely something to think about before being overly critical and cruel to Theo. Then again if they are taking notes I hope they learn something about taking on rock-star status prematurely. True Theo was handed this and who could refuse that temptation. Even at that, signing a contract like he did you have to be able to back it up! It seems this is where Habs fans get the most upset and that is when a player signs a sweetheart deal and does nothing to earn it. Its major disrespect to your club, fans and teammates. And what stands out in all of this is how vocal Theo was against the changes in pad size and how he hard bargained for the contract he got. It seems that he might have known what was coming(especially if he didn't practice too hard) and found his retirement package at the cost of the clubs future.

Hopefully Danis and Price will market themselves with a bit more integrity than that. I said this once for the Brisebois booing and I'll say it again. When a player finds themselves in this position they can always save face by turning back that salary or renegotiating their contract for less. It would be unprecedented, but it would be honest and might permit him to stay in his home province with some dignity. Of course the other option is to get traded like Brisebois and show everyone what you're really capable of. Its still early days for Theo but he is in a world of trouble and for all the money he's got I don't envy his position. That contract could feel like prostitution by the end. Only a psycho could live with being despised by his own people for money. Maybe that's just me.

Still hoping he proves he's got what it takes...

Definitely something to think about before being overly critical and cruel to Theo. Then again if they are taking notes I hope they learn something about taking on rock-star status prematurely. True Theo was handed this and who could refuse that temptation. Even at that, signing a contract like he did you have to be able to back it up! It seems this is where Habs fans get the most upset and that is when a player signs a sweetheart deal and does nothing to earn it. Its major disrespect to your club, fans and teammates. And what stands out in all of this is how vocal Theo was against the changes in pad size and how he hard bargained for the contract he got. It seems that he might have known what was coming(especially if he didn't practice too hard) and found his retirement package at the cost of the clubs future.

Hopefully Danis and Price will market themselves with a bit more integrity than that. I said this once for the Brisebois booing and I'll say it again. When a player finds themselves in this position they can always save face by turning back that salary or renegotiating their contract for less. It would be unprecedented, but it would be honest and might permit him to stay in his home province with some dignity. Of course the other option is to get traded like Brisebois and show everyone what you're really capable of. Its still early days for Theo but he is in a world of trouble and for all the money he's got I don't envy his position. That contract could feel like prostitution by the end. Only a psycho could live with being despised by his own people for money. Maybe that's just me.

Still hoping he proves he's got what it takes...

Speaking on behalf of myself only... I admit I have jumped the gun too fast in demanding Theo's head ... unrealistic, quite frankly I will admit I want to get into the playoffs!!! call me old-fashioned but its something I feel the Glorieux should never miss! Its about pride maybe foolish but its tradition! Even if it means being swept in the first round!

Now Lister is right on! It's not worth losing your head and along with it a couple of years more in team rebuilding.

Regarding Theo... If it isn’t this year then its the next one ...Theo needs time to accept that the league's found his Achilles heal (due to size, going down to early) whatever... and that yes they know where to “TRY” to shoot the puck on him! This is what’s making him hesitate and think too much something he’s never done before... He's got time to improve that aspect by better positioning, more concentration etc… He will make up for that weakness... that takes time! And You can bet he’ll fix it!! The question remains whether it’s here or in another organization! But if he does and regains his form, then wouldn’t it me nice he was still playing for us!

My recommendation would be to play Huet until The Olympic break… Have Theo as back up… its only 4 or 5 games let Melanson coach Theo back into form and regain his confidence. Its just ( at least I hope so) that plain and simple. Maybe it will take the summer !! We can handle it! If in return it means having again one of the top 3 goalies in the World! Then what the heck! I’ll wait!

Now if Luongo comes knocking on our door… Begging his right to become a Glorieux!! …. Now that’s another story! hehehe

remember we are the GLORIEUX!!