An Idea

Trizzak

Ottawa is the best-drafting team in the league. Handing a division rival and especially this division rival 5 picks would be lethal. Spezza is worth 4.5M but 6M is way too much. The only possible candidates for 6M+ are:

Brodeur

Luongo

Kiprussoff

Nash

Kovalchuk

Iginla

Jagr

Staal

Ovechkin

Niedermayer

Phaneuf

Chara

Redden

IMO, those are the best players in the league at each position and none of Khabby and others should get so much money.

Ottawa is the best-drafting team in the league. Handing a division rival and especially this division rival 5 picks would be lethal. Spezza is worth 4.5M but 6M is way too much. The only possible candidates for 6M+ are:

Brodeur

Luongo

Kiprussoff

Nash

Kovalchuk

Iginla

Jagr

Staal

Ovechkin

Niedermayer

Phaneuf

Chara

Redden

IMO, those are the best players in the league at each position and none of Khabby and others should get so much money.

throw in Crosby too!

I made that list in 2 seconds - of course there are exceptions and possibilities and others who I forgot. Thornton is one. Lecavalier is worth maybe 5.5M - not the 6.75 he's making. Crosby is good but he's not one of the best in the league. Ovechkin is a one-man wrecking crew - he's dominating in his rookie year. Crosby might end up elite next season or some other time throughout his career but he isn't right now. Based on his work this season, I'd pay him 3-4M.

What about for some short term help.......Eric Weinrich!

Really solid for the Habs when he was here before and but for a dumb trade (anyone remember Patrick Reverse) would still be knocking around.

He may get traded because he is a UFA at teh end of the season. Surely he is worth a draft pick for some short term help. Plus he would provide some much needed leadership on the blue line.

eric giveawy weinrich ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh over my dead body

No use making another thread on this....though this is more like a thought instead of an idea...

Anyways, with this Ribs/Kovalev tandem working so well, I gotta wonder what's gonna happen with the first line. It's become worse than past first lines.

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder?? Maybe Zednik instead of Higgins? blah!

We need a top line left winger, and I would part with a promising rookie if it meant getting him.

That is, of course, if Ribs isn't going to be traded as soon as Gainey gets the offer he wants. In that case, Kovalev goes right back up to the top line.