Dissatisfaction With The Way Posting Is Handled

shortcat1

Here's a beef from a frog.

One of the disadvantages of the new format that supports our community and forums, (Invision Power Board v2.1.3 © 2006 IPS, Inc.) is that it inhibits free and fluid conversation, especially during the Habs games themselves.

In the old system, those who were online were able to 'converse' freely and quickly. Yes, many of the posts were one, two, three or short sentence worders but, nevertheless, conversation was going on. It was just like being in a sports bar or a living room or a rec room or whatever where a bunch of guys and gals get together with some snacks and libations and, while watching the game, just yack back & forth and enjoy both each other's company and the game and each other's company watching the game.

Now, if a post is entered within an unspecified short time, that post is included in a previous post box. If one happens to see something happen in the game soon after and wishes to comment on that, guess where it goes? Into the same box. I've seen it happen that someone had four posts in the same box. That's ridiculous because it puts those posts in a manner where there isn't always a connection between them. They're just some separate commentaries that are unreasonably put together.

This new format stunts the flow of comments and conversation. Yes, it sort of controls the possible abuse of posts. At what cost? At the cost of free flowing fellowship.

Is there a way to adapt this new format so that it allows for an 'old-system' kind of communication? If so, let's do it.

:king: :hockey: :king:

i think the main rationale behind the system is the minimization of double posting. I use it often as a way to add PS's to my posts.

One tool I use in game threads is to add some carriage returns before my additional posts so it is evident that it is a later statement.

I totally understand your point though and I frankly do not know if it can be changed for game threads.

The thing is: Habs games conversations are the exception rather than the norm. Most threads are not in the "conversation" mode. And if you consider all the avatars and signatures taking extra space, the "automatic merging" gives more relative space to post content than side stuff.

Most off all, automatic merging also discourage people who'd abuse quick one-liners just to increase their post totals. More often than not, those one-liners dont really add anything to the conversation and disrupt the flow of the thread. If you want to read a game thread to know how the game went, you dont really want to have to sort through all sorts of one-liners like "I agree" or "ROFL!".

I agree with shortcat. It happens to me a lot (especially in game threads) where all my random posts get joint together. I preferred it the old way.

"Most off all, automatic merging also discourage people who'd abuse quick one-liners just to increase their post totals. "

First of all, I don't think this is true. Do you really think that anyone cares how many posts they have?

Second, why is it a problem if they do? Do you care how many posts they have?

There are maybe 2 people on this site who "post-pad." It's an overrated problem.

I agree with shortcat. It happens to me a lot (especially in game threads) where all my random posts get joint together. I preferred it the old way.

"Most off all, automatic merging also discourage people who'd abuse quick one-liners just to increase their post totals. "

First of all, I don't think this is true. Do you really think that anyone cares how many posts they have?

There are maybe 2 people on this site who "post-pad." It's an overrated problem.

Is there a prize for most posts? if so what is it? lol

I agree!

:P

Yes, some users care how many posts they have. Always did, always will.

Go back, read again, think a little, and you'll answer your own questions.

Guessed it yet?

If you go to the string 'The ultimate habs' page 2, you'll see a ridiculous example of the blocking of several posts into one box. :angry::angry2:

What seems to have happened there is that BTH took the time to respond to a number of people and, in doing it within a short span of time, all of his posts were redirected to the same box. In that kind of format, this is workable but within a game-post situation, it just doesn't work. The 'conversational' flow is broken. :angry2::angry:

In my opinion, the idea of a conversation includes one or two-word posts. Big deal! That's how people talk to each other in similar kinds of situations.

Yes, some users care how many posts they have. Always did, always will.

Go back, read again, think a little, and you'll answer your own questions.

Guessed it yet?

I think so. :)

If you go to the string 'The ultimate habs' page 2, you'll see a ridiculous example of the blocking of several posts into one box. :angry::angry2:

What seems to have happened there is that BTH took the time to respond to a number of people and, in doing it within a short span of time, all of his posts were redirected to the same box. In that kind of format, this is workable but within a game-post situation, it just doesn't work. The 'conversational' flow is broken. :angry2::angry:

In my opinion, the idea of a conversation includes one or two-word posts. Big deal! That's how people talk to each other in similar kinds of situations.

I answered you in the thread. That wasn't a bunch of merged posts. I wrote that all at the same time.

Hey, it's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

He's small but he's fierce!

Speaking of size....

http://www.humorshack.com/archive/cartoons/995.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

And one of the 2 padders started this thread, eh shorty. Not as bad now that he is a hall of famer but he was bad at it last fall