habs vs wild

prabby

Hossa scores winner as Habs tame Wild

Canadian Press

10/3/2003

MONTREAL (CP) - Marcel Hossa scored with 2:40 remaining in the third period to give the Montreal Canadiens a 3-2 win Friday over the Minnesota Wild in pre-season action.

Michael Ryder and Sheldon Souray also scored for Montreal (2-4-0-2), which outshot Minnesota 8-3 in the final period before an announced Bell Centre crowd of 17,305.

Sergei Zholtok and Alexandre Daigle replied for the Wild (4-4-0-0).

Mathieu Garon stopped 14 shots for Montreal, while Manny Fernandez made 27 saves for the Wild.

Gordie Dwyer - whose position as the Canadiens enforcer was put in jeopardy when the Habs claimed Vancouver tough guy Darren Langdon in Friday's waiver draft - played a high energy game, finishing all his checks and generally being a pest.

Brent Burns - the 20th overall pick in this year's draft playing his first game since signing with the Wild on Tuesday - nearly set up a goal on his first shift, sliding the puck through the crease to an open teammate who missed it.

After a first period devoid of any goals, penalties or action, the two teams combined for four goals in the second.

Zholtok opened the scoring at 1:47 on a power play off a cross-ice feed by Pierre-Marc Bouchard. Daigle gave Minnesota a 2-0 lead on another power play at 5:37, roofing a wrister from the right face-off circle.

Souray brought Montreal back to within one while the Habs were shorthanded, one-timing a pass from Niklas Sundstrom past Fernandez at 11:01.

Ryder had the goal of the night at 16:33, skating clear across the Minnesota zone, stopping to shed a Wild defender and putting a wrister off Fernandez's glove and in.

Jan Bulis hit the post one-timing a feed from Perreault with 2:45 to play in regulation. Off the ensuing faceoff, Mike Ribeiro won the draw and set up Hossa in the slot for a high wrist shot.

Notes: Canadiens fans who were booing Patrice Brisebois appear to have taken general manager Bob Gainey's instructions to heart. In the first home game since Gainey admonished the Bell Centre faithful for booing Brisebois every time he touched the puck, the fans generally let him be. He was even cheered when he carried the puck on his first shift, though a handful of fans booed him in the third.

:ghg::ghg::ghg:

[Edited on 4-10-03 by Habs77]

Ryder should definitely be on the Habs team. The team needs offense and he can provide it (dazzling goal against the wild), while providing Physical play as well (flattens Bambardir against wild). it would be sad to see this guy ride the bench or play in the AHL in favor of bums like Dackell and Audette. Since training camp began he has done nothing but show he belongs on the team.

unless they make a trade for someone else Ryder should be one of the habs top two right Wingers.

I said it last year and i'll say it again, Ryder is just as good or better then Ward. (nothing against Ward, hes a good player too)

What do the rest of you think??

:ghg:

I Highly agree with you bonavista Ryder should be on the team. I watched him play last year in the playoffs and he gave his all every game he played. He also played hurt(not a good thing) but like i just said he gives his all every night,gets in the corners and is NOT afraid to hit. He really imperssed me.

GO MICHAEL RYDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:-^:clap::/):ghg: