Denis Gauthier rumor

ch_nl

From The Fourth Period

As TFP previously reported, the Montreal Canadiens are believed to be interested in Calgary defenseman Denis Gauthier. However, they may also be shopping a blueliner of their own.

With Barret Jackman and Al MacInnis out for an extended period of time, the St. Louis Blues are currently in the market for a defenseman and, according to unconfirmed reports, may have interest in Montreal’s Craig Rivet and Stephane Quintal.

In the mean time, the Flames are looking for help up front and may have interest in the likes of Jason Ward, Niklas Sundstrom and the currently injured Chad Kilger.

The Toronto Maple Leafs are also interested in the bruising Gauthier, while the interest may have peeked for Washington Capitals.

I would like to have Gauthier.

Sundström + ??? ??? for Gauthier?

I would personnally take TFPs rumours with a grain of salt. They have never been right.

However, I could see Quintal being moved to Saint-Louis to make room for Komisarek. It makes a lot of sense, he's not taht expensive, he's got leadership, he's physicall and reliable and he's at the end of his contract, maybe we could add Audette to the deal( or Perreault :P :/) :lol:, just kidding)

The Ward and Kilger rumours I don't believe though. Gainey said he wanted size up front so why trade our two most physicall players for an overrated defensemen. We already have a good core on D, adding another who just looks for the big hit and nothing else will only give us more problems.

Trading Quintal would be good, I would be quite happy with that. Rivet not so much, as he and Koivu are buddies.

Although, for those that have actually seen the habs games (TV or live), who has been playing better?

I think Hainsey or Komisarek would play in Quintal's spot.

How much would you ask for in return for Quintal?

A pick? A prospect?

I like their 2nd round pick from the most recent draft (David Backes). Aggressive RW, big, good shot and hockey sense. His skating is a tad suspect, but not terrible.

Maybe that would be asking too much. I don't know. However, with the only other teams actively shopping defencemen coming from the Western Conference, I think we have an inside chance, if any.

I think the fourth period have some interesting rumors.

If all rumors did happen it wouldn't be called rumors but propecies. (is that the right spelling?)

I mean it's not a news that Blues are looking for a defenceman.

And since Habs needs to trim the roster I hope we can make a 2 for 1 deal.

We could use Gauthier and at the same time trim our roster. Two forwards for Guthier. Sundström shouldn't be that hard to deal since San Jose pay some of his salary.

And a question... If Blues are looking for a defencemen isn't possible wo wave Dykhuis or Traverse?

First off, we're 8 games in and I've already heard a half-dozen rumors about the Habs looking to make a deal to improve.

At some point, where there is smoke there's fire. The perfect time to make a move will be when the Habs' current hot streak eventually cools off. We'll find out in a game or two if that time has already come.

As for the Gauthier rumor, you have to understand the implications if the Habs are truly interested.

Gauthier is a 27 year old left D, and we already have Markov (22) & Souray (27) who aren't going anywhere on the left side... so that would mean the Habs plan on trading Hainsey, who plays left.

If it's even just true that Montreal is interested, it means Hainsey is not in their long-term plans... there's no way around it.

Now for us trading Rivet or Quintal... yes this would obviously make sense since we have Komisarek waiting in the wings.

On the one hand trading Quintal makes sense since he might be in his last year, get something for him while you can.

On the other hand this is a great opportunity to dump the overrated piece of #@$ Rivet who blew once again tonight. He's holding Markov down, I'd be doing cartwheels if he was dealt. Somehow he's supposedly highly regarded around the league, so we'd get more in return for him than Quintal.