Yankic on his way out of Montreal?

Westcoasthabsfan

Ok, I was sitting on this idea for the last few days, but here it goes.

I know it sounds a bit out there, and I know Savard or Houle would not have been able to pull it off, but Gainey has the respect from other GM's to make it work. They'll listen to him longer and give him the time of day to sell the trade.

And this further works out considering that the Devils are rumoured to be talking to Berezin, giving way for one of their current wingers to be moved.

How about this:

to the devils: Perreault

(devils haven't had a consistent faceoff man since Holik, and Perreault is top 3 in the league, defensive problems, I know).

Rivet (Devils add to their defensive depth for this season. He isn't as bad as he has played this season and can maybe work well with the devils d-men)

and a second round pick

to the habs: Jamie Langenbrunner

(has a nice shot, won two cups, played pretty good in both playoff years, and Gainey did draft him and develop him in Dallas)

and a first round pick

we clear some salary, might not help the team as would another major trade, but this would shake up some players for sure. This would also allow us to bring up Komisarek (although, his stats down in Hamilton haven't been too impressive, but i haven't seen him first hand so who can believe the stats).

Down the road, later or in the not so distant future, we could trade hossa and devils 1st rounder for o'neil and another player/pick.

or

hainsey, hossa and devils 1st rounder for comrie and smith (once edmonton is struggling and looking to shake something up)

rather the latter with edmonton personally,

Then we bring up plekanak

our lines:

Ryder koivu Zednick

Plekanec Ribeiro Langenbrunner

Bulis Juneau Dackell

Kilger Begin Ward

spares: sundstrom and audette

markov Komisarek

Smith Brisebois

Souray Quintal

spare: bouillon

then we keep juneau (and audette) for the stretch drive after the deadline and maybe (hopefully) the playoffs. Let juneau walk as a F.A and we buyout Audette once the CBA is signed (hopefully, the new cba will allow releases, thereby eliminating our need to pay him 2/3's of the final year).

Regardless, I think this the beginning of Julien/Gainey looking at the roster without its "key" veterans to better analyse the core nucleus of the groups (which is ribeiro - have you seen him step up and everyday speak to the media, with phrases and a demeanor that rivals that of the veterans on the team, zednick, koivu, markov and theo). Next up I think will be Audette Saturday night.

[Edited on 2003/11/7 by GoHabs2002]

I have 2 problems with this:

1- After the playoffs Langenbrunner had last season, et cimented the fact he'll stay in Jersey for a long time. He won't be traded.

2- Perreault is a UFA at year end, a throw-in for that deal. So it's basically Rivet and a 2nd for Langen and a 1st... no way NJ ever goes for that

I do like Langen, another player that would be perfect here... I just don't think he's available.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

As to the original question about Perreault, of course he's on the way out. Not only does he not implement Julien's defensive system, but the very fact he's UFA at year end almost guarantees he'll be traded.

But don't expect much in return, just see it as an addition by substraction.

[Edited on 7-11-03 by Habs77]

Originally posted by GoHabs2002How about this:  

to the devils: Perreault

(devils haven't had a consistent faceoff man since Holik, and Perreault is top 3 in the league, defensive problems, I know).

Perreault and Pat Burns. I can see it now. The old ex-cop would have poor Yannick in tears on the bench after his first shift playing for Burns.

Burns demands more than defensive competence - he demands defensive excellence. If he doesn't get it he'll tear a strip off (in this scenario) Yannick.

Yannic to Detroit?

Had that idea the other day.

Even if they signed Steve Thomas, they could still go for 3 great scoring lines:

Shanahan, Whitney, Zetterberg, Hull, Thomas,

Yzerman, Datsyuk, Perreault?

Cheaper than Straka or Lindros (as rumors go), and no contract to worry about past this season.

I don't think we'd ask for too much in return, just a prospect

Hurry and get rid of him.

While he's still around all he's gonna do is cause line juggling.

The team was better off without him last nite and will be better off without him for the rest of the year.

i hope Julien finally sticks with some lines.

Koivu and Zed have good Chemistry, and once Zed breaks out it'll be a good line.

Same goes for the second line, Ryder and Ribs have good chemistry and when Ryder gets the monkey off his back (another post last nite) and starts scoring it will be a good line as well.

KEEP HAINSEY IN!

:ghg: