Alexei Yemelin

habsrock_6

I was just wondering if you guys think he can make the club next season, and how big of a roll he will make. I believe he has a very good chance because he looked very good at the World Juniors, and is used to playing with the older players. His skills will be needed in Montreal.

Well he would make a solid addition to Hamilton. The question is if he is skilled enough to play in the big club. The Habs already have an solid defensive core and I don't think Emelin is the guy the team needs right now.

Well he would make a solid addition to Hamilton. The question is if he is skilled enough to play in the big club. The Habs already have an solid defensive core and I don't think Emelin is the guy the team needs right now.

Emelin in North America? Would be nice. Might not be easy... but would be nice.

Grabovsky with Emelin on the Bulldogs - potential looks good.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

• 1 month later...
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20060630...=73249256030461

[...] Emelin playing in North America is still possible because there's a law in Russia stating that anyone can terminate a work contract by giving two weeks notice to their boss. So basically, if Emelin gives his two weeks notice there's still a chance the Habs can get him to sign a deal by the end of the summer.

Unfortunate, persisting red tape:

"Russian League club owners are the ones who continue to resist signing [an NHL transfer deal with Russia]. New Russian hockey federation head Vladislav Tretiak, it appeared, had smoothed things over in early June with them. Both Tretiak and the NHL were somewhat confident at the time that an official announcement would soon happen [...] Russian League clubs refused to sign the agreement, wanting instead to negotiate individual agreements with players they lost to the NHL."

Even if Emelin (who in June was reported to have signed a 2 year contract with Lada Togliatti) were to follow proper channels, give his two weeks' notice and leave his current club, his transfer would be comparable to that of Alexander Semin, "whom the Washington Capitals finally got under wraps for next season after a costly court battle that finally required the NHL, IIHF and NHL Players' Association getting involved in a complicated negotiation."

With diminished incentive for both Emelin and the Canadiens organization, it seems we'll have to wait two more seasons before the prospect's even in a Bulldogs uniform.

Edited by MCeh