Rds-tv Celebrates 1986 Stanley Cup Win

shortcat1

For all of us French speaking (or at least French understanding) members, RDS-TV will be showing, on Monday June 5 at 7:00 pm, a one-hour show celebrating the 1986 Stanley Cup win by the Canadiens . :king: :hlogo: :king:

This was a most improbable win. The team had somewhere around 6 to 8 rookies in its line-up (including a young Patrick Roy) and they went, despite ridiculous odds, all the way to the end and to a parade on la rue Ste-Catherine in downtown Montreal.

The highlights included, of course, Roy, Jean Perron and, Brian Mulroney, the Prime Minister at the time.

Should be, at the very least, interesting. :)

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Edited by shortcat1

The team had a record 10 rookies in 1986 from what I remember. They were Claude Lemieux, Brian Skrudland, Stephane Richer, Kjell Dahlin, David Maley, Patrick Roy, Steve Rooney, Mike Lalor, Randy Bucyk and John Kordic.

This was one of my very first memories of hockey, I was 9 years old, and just starting to enjoy watching hockey. Usually I preferred playing.

Un-habs related material in the 1986 playoffs, The Winnipeg Jets use a record 4 goalies in 1 playoff series and this was the year Steve Smith banked the puck off Grant Fuhr into his own net.....bummer

Should be very interesting. I look forward to this

86 is when I really became a hardcore hockey fan. I was the same age as you kaos. To this day I can't recall more eventful, legendary Cup run. Not even 93.

The series against Boston were infamous for the Kordic-Miller fight, where Kordic gave Jay Miller a one-way beating. When Miller was sent to the locker, he tried to kick a door and go knocked down on his ass. Then in the last game Gainey scored two goals to give the Habs the win.

The series against Hartford was a long hard one. I remember Kevin Dineen was a friggin' pest. Though at one time he took a run at Larry Robinson and Larry got mad as hell. Have you ever seen Robinson mad as hell? The game went in 7 games, with an OT to cap it off. Claude Lemieux played the heros with that crazy from-behind-the-net-top-shelf-backhander and got assaulted by the rest of the team who piled up on top of him.

The series against the Rags was something too. I remember Pierre Larouche (with NY) said he wasn't impressed by Roy and said something like "Let's see what he does if he has to face over 40 shots). That gave the crazy game in the MSG where the crowd was heckling "Rooooooo-ah! Rooooo-ah!". Roy made 46 saves that game, including a moment in the OT where he was peppered with about 7-8 consecutive point-blank shots and stopped them all. Might be just nostalgia, but that's probably the best goalie performance I've ever seen. Just stuff of legends. And off course, Lemieux scored the OT winner once again.

Funny enough, the series against Calgary was perhaps the least eventful. At that point the Habs were just steamrolling. They're defense was very underrated. Chelios and Robinson are two of the best D's in the history of the game and they were there then. Gingras had a scary slapshot for the time. Ludwig, Green and Lalor were mammoth D's by standards of the time. The Habs barely even used Petr Svoboda in that series and he was quite a rushing d-man back then. The Lemieux-Skrudland duo was incredible on the forecheck, Naslund-Smith-Dahlin were deadly on the PP and Gainey-Carbonneau-Nilan was probably the best checking line of that time. Then throw in some rookies like Richer, Maley, Rooney, Boisvert, Bucyk, who all had a shinning moment at some point.

I'm not sure, but Lemieux scored 10 goals in those playoffs and I think about 5 of them were GWG. I wonder if any other rookie topped that off.

I hope RDS shows clips of that run's best moments. Also the thing about the many rookies people dont often mention is that most if not all of them had won the Calder Cup in the AHL the year before. I'd like to know which other NHL teams won the SC the year after their affiliate won the AHL cup the year before. I'm guessing NJ is one of them, but is there any others?

I've heard about it, and seen it on old video's and game film, but I totally do not remember the Kordic fight.

I remember Kevin Dineen and always loved him as a player. One of my favorite non Canadiens players.

Speaking of Claude Lemieux, I used to love him, but its amazing how times change and you can hate a guy so much.

Not too sure about any Calder Cup - Stanley Cup in the same year victories. That'll take some investigating