Lowe's Gamble Paid Off

GoHabs2002

People questionned Kevin Lowe when he traded his 1st round pick for a 36-year old Roloson. The Oilers were borderline making the playoffs, yet he traded a potential top 15 pick for a soon to be UFA goalie with no real track record of playoff success.

And now its paid off.

With the Oilers in the Finals, Lowe has traded away what could be the 30th pick in the Draft, nothing special.

He gambled on Roloson and it paid of immeasurable.

You can talk about Rutherford or Sather, but I think Lowe is the guy that knew his team the most and knew what to do and when to do.

I'd have to said Rutherford knew the most what he was doing. Before the season, some reporters told him how he felt that many hockey analysts didn't consider Carolina a playoff team. He replied something in the lines of he knew his team was going to be good and that he was CERTAIN that the Hurricanes were making the playoffs.

This guy knew all along his team capabilties.

People questionned Kevin Lowe when he traded his 1st round pick for a 36-year old Roloson. The Oilers were borderline making the playoffs, yet he traded a potential top 15 pick for a soon to be UFA goalie with no real track record of playoff success.

And now its paid off.

With the Oilers in the Finals, Lowe has traded away what could be the 30th pick in the Draft, nothing special.

He gambled on Roloson and it paid of immeasurable.

You can talk about Rutherford or Sather, but I think Lowe is the guy that knew his team the most and knew what to do and when to do.

We will never know how intense the trade talk was, but I still think trading first round draft choices for a question mark is a risky gamble.

I was against it and I am wrong so far. Edmonton still has one series to win before giving Lowe the absolute extra applause he deserves. It will be up to Rolonson to prove he is the elite goalie that everyone thinks he is. I measure this move in the years following when he signs a big contract and lives up to it, otherwise it was an expensive rental. First round picks are very important to add depth to a franchise.

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

Let's see who the 1st rounder pans out to be. Though if the Oilers win the Cup, their pick is bumped to 30rd OA.

Yup, some teams cannot draft properly and their odds of picking a good player are bad. (See Leafs farm team) This draft pick just may be lousy.

Colorado, Detroit usually have to pick in the 20s-30th pick range and look at their teams selections. Even Buffalo had two second round guys from a couple years ago in their lineup this year. Roy and I forgot the other guys name. They played well, so draft choices to me are important in championship runs.

Yup, some teams cannot draft properly and their odds of picking a good player are bad. (See Leafs farm team) This draft pick just may be lousy.

Colorado, Detroit usually have to pick in the 20s-30th pick range and look at their teams selections. Even Buffalo had two second round guys from a couple years ago in their lineup this year. Roy and I forgot the other guys name. They played well, so draft choices to me are important in championship runs.

We've sucked in the first round though, don't forget. Our only slam dunks have been Marc Denis and Alex Tanguay. Then you have junk like Kevin Grimes, Peter Ratchuk, Mikhail Kuleshov, Scott Parker, Martin Skoula. I guess Regehr counts as a slam dunk too.

We've sucked in the first round though, don't forget. Our only slam dunks have been Marc Denis and Alex Tanguay. Then you have junk like Kevin Grimes, Peter Ratchuk, Mikhail Kuleshov, Scott Parker, Martin Skoula. I guess Regehr counts as a slam dunk too.

Hey I liked Parker!!!!

My point is that a first round draft choice is valueable. It could be traded for a 2nd + 3rd with a willing partner, or a younger player under contract to increase your depth at a position. This trade of a number 1 draft choice was for a potential rental. In the new NHL I certainly hope Montreal and Colorado do not get into this trading of first rounders for rentals.

Hey I liked Parker!!!!

My point is that a first round draft choice is valueable. It could be traded for a 2nd + 3rd with a willing partner, or a younger player under contract to increase your depth at a position. This trade of a number 1 draft choice was for a potential rental. In the new NHL I certainly hope Montreal and Colorado do not get into this trading of first rounders for rentals.

:P

I liked Parker too but he never panned out into what he was supposed to be. Now he's just a big, burly goon. I'm pretty sure we'll quit our trading of the first pick (which has really gotten tiresome). Unless it's like in 2005 when we end up with 4 2nd round picks. After seeing what Wolski has done so far, I'm sure Lacroix will want to hold onto our first round picks now.

Pronger - AMAZING move (short term atleast)

Peca - good move

Dvorak - meh

Roloson - only worth it if they win it all (but he's injured now)

Samsonov - great move

Tarnstrom - meh

Spacek - good move

I like how Lowe has kept changing his roster throughout the course of the season. He din't stand pat form the offseason to the trade deadline - he made waiver pick-ups and minor trades for good players. When they were looking for an offensive defenceman, they right away nabbed Spacek and Tarnstrom. When they needed a goalie, Lowe got one. When they needed more talent to make a push in the playoffs, he got Samsonov. Bringing in Pronger was great because he's just so frikkin good! He's almost too good if you know what I mean. When I tried explaining ot my American sports-following friends why Pronger (a d-man) was the right choice for the penalty shot I couldn't. "Because he's Chris Pronger." He's one of those guys who will ALWAYS come through for you when you need him. King Clutch. I had no doubt that Pronger would score that goal. In American sports you don't have guys like Pronger - you don't have leaders that take teams to higher levels all on their own. For example, you can beta a better team in a playoff series because yuo have Joe Sakic. Yuo can beat a better team because you have Steve Yzerman. You can beat a better team because you have Martin Brodeur. These types of leaders are only found in hockey. The living legends. I think the main reason why Edmonton's been doing so well is because they have yet to find a team who can match Chris Pronger.

Pronger - AMAZING move (short term atleast)

Peca - good move

Dvorak - meh

Roloson - only worth it if they win it all (but he's injured now)

Samsonov - great move

Tarnstrom - meh

Spacek - good move

I like how Lowe has kept changing his roster throughout the course of the season. He din't stand pat form the offseason to the trade deadline - he made waiver pick-ups and minor trades for good players. When they were looking for an offensive defenceman, they right away nabbed Spacek and Tarnstrom. When they needed a goalie, Lowe got one. When they needed more talent to make a push in the playoffs, he got Samsonov. Bringing in Pronger was great because he's just so frikkin good! He's almost too good if you know what I mean. When I tried explaining ot my American sports-following friends why Pronger (a d-man) was the right choice for the penalty shot I couldn't. "Because he's Chris Pronger." He's one of those guys who will ALWAYS come through for you when you need him. King Clutch. I had no doubt that Pronger would score that goal. In American sports you don't have guys like Pronger - you don't have leaders that take teams to higher levels all on their own. For example, you can beta a better team in a playoff series because yuo have Joe Sakic. Yuo can beat a better team because you have Steve Yzerman. You can beat a better team because you have Martin Brodeur. These types of leaders are only found in hockey. The living legends. I think the main reason why Edmonton's been doing so well is because they have yet to find a team who can match Chris Pronger.

:clap::clap: EXCELLENT POST!

Over the last two years I was not that much of a Pronger fan as he was injured, playing without passion. Now being rejuvenated in a hockey crazy market has really brought his game back.