puck7x

Pretyy interesting , very close...

HabsWorld Poll

(Nov 30) Is Saku Koivu a good captain?

223 Votes

Yes (121)

No (102)

Any comments?

New poll - Should fans have the right to boo players? (Yes or No)

[Edited on 2003-12-2 by sakiqc]

I haven't been really impressed by some quotes I have seen and heard from him, maybe its just me but sometimes he doesn't say stuff a typical captain might say of a losing streak or such. I don't have exact quotes in front of me but I remember several to the effect of 'we can't do it...'

That is not to say I don't like Saku, I am just not as convinced as I was in the past.

I think for the time being he's the best captain we have.

However, in 5 years time I'd like to see players like Komisarek and Higgins and maybe even Gratton (if he develops into the 3rd line checking Centre) wearing 'A's and the C.

If Koivu is traded, so be it. I'm not calling for his head, just agreeing that while he's the best captain we've got, we could have better in the future.

:ghg:

Koivu is a natural captain. He is Finland's captain since forever.. has great leadership and impact on the Finland team.

When Saku came in Montreal, there were other leaders here (Damphousse, Keane, Corson, Roy, Turgeon..). The management decided to build around Koivu (humm.. or to send to trash all good players around him). When Houle succeed in trading all the leaders and offensive players of the team, Saku was the legitimated choice for captain. But, after 3 years of captaincy, Saku was playing an average of 25 games/year! How can his leadership grow stronger? When Saku was in hospital, his leadership was "positively idealized" as everyone (Theo at least) were working harder, like if the ghost of Saku was there. But, when Saku came back and the "normal life" resumed, it seems like if Saku's leadership had been affected after the past 3 years absence. When a leader is absent, how can he have an impact ? When you're absent, how can you know the team, the little gang, the daily problems??

Still, Saku played the whole last year. Also, Habs have plenty of new guys/AHL/rookies now. It cannot be a problem with them, but with those who were there before.. no rivet thought, brisebois? juneau? zednik? bulis?

I think Saku is a good leader (for what we can see). Is Saku a #1 Center? No. Is he able to take all the offensive pressure? No. THose are the real question/problems. Bring offensive threat around Saku, and his leadership won't be a problem.

Saku is giving almost every game his 100% and even more. He is one of the only one forward to check opponents. After what Saku went throught, I have absolutely nothing to say againts him. I think he represents well the Montreal Canadiens. Too bad he'Ll never be a PPG guy anymore.

:hlogo:

I think the fact that he was a good captain for Finland doesn't matter.

For the international tournaments they are barely together a week or two... he doesn't need to do any work i nthe room, he just plays hard on the ice as always.

And on Finland teams, well quite obviously they're all Finns!!

I think part of the problem is he's uncomfortable dealing with the different languages which aren't his native tongue. And for a lot of the years he dad was the coach, daddy ain't here anymore.

All I know is that he can't hack it here as captain in Montreal... the proof is the way this team has acted through the years.

Perhaps being injured all the time IS part of it... well guess what he's still getting injured every year except last... so that's another reason to replace him.

And since I doubt the Habs can manage to pull his C while staying here... he'd have to be traded.

I don't really think the Habs have any other players worthy of wearing the C. Pretty much nobody else on the forward lines, that's for sure. Zednik? Perreault? Juneau? Dackell? Sundstrom?....I think not.

And then on D, you've got guys that I don't think can really wear the C either. Quintal? Rivet? Breezy? Nah.

Originally posted by huzer

I don't really think the Habs have any other players worthy of wearing the C.  Pretty much nobody else on the forward lines, that's for sure. Zednik? Perreault? Juneau? Dackell? Sundstrom?....I think not.

And then on D, you've got guys that I don't think can really wear the C either. Quintal? Rivet? Breezy? Nah.

I agree with that... none of the forwards, not Q, Rivet or Breezey either.

That's why I said the only possibility was Souray... because he's one of the team top performers on the ice now, he's just old enough to be considered a vet and yet young enough to still be around for years to come.

He seems like a pretty personable guy, might do a better job at speaking to all players in the locker room and try to get this team to act like one.

And he's not even an asisstant captain right now, so that might be hard to do.

When you look at the A's on this team, and the fact that there is just NO candidate to take over the C if Koivu should go (besides maybe Souray)... you realize how devoid of good leadership this team really is.

Thankfully I do see some good leadership candidates among the younger crop... Ward impressed me with how he emerged as a leader during Hamilton's run last year, Komisarek seems like another good one, and Higgins too IMO.